where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Eggs Aren't Hatching But SHe Is Laying More

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Carolyn
    Thanks

Eggs Aren't Hatching But SHe Is Laying More

I have a pair of cockatiels that have been together for over 6 years. The male is 12 and the female is 7. In October my female laid an egg. I found it on the bottom of the cage broken. I threw it away and cleaned the cage. About 2 weeks later she laid another. I threw it away too. About 4 days later she laid another. I decided at this point to go on line and see what I should do. I learned that I needed to let her lay the eggs and stop throwing them away in order to preserve my females health. By Nov 21 she had 5 eggs and they both have been setting on the eggs non stop. We are well past 21 days and I have candled the eggs and 3 look like they my have chicks but I'm not really sure. Well as of this am she has now laid 2 new eggs so we are up to 7! HELPPPPPP

Name
    Lynne
    Thanks

Re: Eggs Aren't Hatching But SHe Is Laying More

Hi,
    I'm sort of going through the same thing. I got a pair from a rescue over 2 years ago. They are both around 6 years old and have never laid eggs, but have been mating since I got them and supposedly all along. Back in November the female laid an egg on the bottom of a cage. I put it in a nest box in their cage and she laid more. They never hatched and don't think any were fertile. She then laid 5 more before I removed the old rotton ones. While candling them last night to remove the old ones it looks like at least 2 have veins and one was pretty white. The oldest new one is 8 days old and she just laid the last one last night. I think this time they're fertile. They say it can take a couple times before they get it right.
    Good luck with it all if they are fertile. I hope someone here can give you some good advice. I'm still learning too. hee hee
    tikileahsmom

Egg's Cracking...
    Name
    Ginny
    Thanks

If the eggs are fertile they will hatch 18-21 days after they are laid. Sometimes hens will also double clutch right away. Make sure she has lots of cuttlebone.

Name
    Keith
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cpstiels View Post
    I have a pair of cockatiels that have been together for over 6 years. The male is 12 and the female is 7. In October my female laid an egg. I found it on the bottom of the cage broken. I threw it away and cleaned the cage. About 2 weeks later she laid another. I threw it away too. About 4 days later she laid another. I decided at this point to go on line and see what I should do. I learned that I needed to let her lay the eggs and stop throwing them away in order to preserve my females health. By Nov 21 she had 5 eggs and they both have been setting on the eggs non stop. We are well past 21 days and I have candled the eggs and 3 look like they my have chicks but I'm not really sure. Well as of this am she has now laid 2 new eggs so we are up to 7! HELPPPPPP
    They are way past hatching and those eggs atleast the ones laid Nov.21 may be no good. They will sit on bad eggs forever so be aware of that. Pairs should dispose of the bad ones themselves but you may need to do so for them. Bad eggs left in the nest can cause bacteria and whatnot and these eggs if they were in the wild would attract predators to the nest area so again you may need to toss the older eggs if you know which ones are the old eggs and which ones are the new eggs. If this is their first clutch the eggs may not hatch right at 21 days- 19-21 days is just a standard we use to follow as a guidline but eggs can take up to 26 days to hatch sometimes. I would make sure you spray the eggs with water from a clean water bottle-one that was not used for anything else- especially if they are a couple of days past the hatching dates- they may be having difficulty hatching and if they can't get out they will drown or suffocate in the egg.

Name
    Sheila
    Thanks

we had the same problem with sammie and charlie...she laid her first clutch of 7 eggs...sat on them and 5 of them were fertile and seemed like they were developing but the hatching period came and went and no babies and female, Sammie, wasnt sitting on them as much so we waited about 2 weeks past the hatch date and took all the eggs out. not too long after that, she started laying more, this time a clutch of 6. all 6 are fertile, all 6 we have seen moving in the shell when candled...and tonight egg # 1 hatched.

Good Luck!

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Carolyn
    Thanks

We now have 3 new eggs so I have candled again and disposed of the 3 oldest. When I candle the eggs at this point, the old ones, will I see movement? They just have a white space on one end and a dark area at the other. Any suggestions to help me understand what I am looking at would be greatly appreciated. I also read that I should leave the eggs until the female looses interest in them. What if she doesn't and just keeps on laying them every few weeks?

Hatching
    Name
    Mary
    Thanks

http://animalscience.ucdavis.edu/res...parrot/d/d.htm
    This is a good site to check out, to see what you're looking for with the eggs.

Remove Ads