Tailfeathers
Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: New-ish Budgies...how should I clean?

Name
    DeeDee
    Thanks

Question New-ish Budgies...how should I clean?

My budgies aren't hand-tamed yet. I know I'm supposed to give the cage a good, deep clean pretty soon, but I'm at a loss as to how to do it.
    I haven't had enough time to train them to step up and there are two of them, so it's going to take a little while longer. Eventually, they'll get daily out-of-cage time, making sure the kitty is shut in the bedroom for an hour or two. She sleeps a lot. I wish I had an extra room in my apartment!
    I'm afraid of letting them out loose right now because I can't get them back in. I know they'll go back when they're ready, but kitty can't stay locked up in the bedroom all day, waiting for two delicious birdies to go to bed.
    Any suggestions? Does anyone clean their cage with the birds still in it? Would diluted vinegar fumes harm them?

Tailfeather
    Name
    LC
    Thanks

Re: New-ish Budgies...how should I clean?

Do you have a spare cage to put them in while you clean? It would be a good investment anyways, spare cages always come in handy.

It's not very safe to clean the cage with the birds still in it, unless you're just using some hot water. I do scrub the cage grates and seed guards with a apple cider vinegar/water solution (I put it in an old Poop-off bottle), but I'm not spraying it, and it's not in areas that they will be walking.

I'm guessing their wings aren't clipped? If you do clip them, you could just catch them and set them on a playgym while you clean, if they'll stay put.

Name
    DeeDee
    Thanks

No, their wings aren't clipped. I'd have a much easier time if they were! I'm not sure what to do about it because I'm way out in the sticks and there isn't an avian vet for miles and miles and miles. I've been thinking about doing it myself...I've read a little on how to do it. Catching them is so hard and I feel like it sets us back with the training every time I have to manhandle them.
    I've been thinking of just wetting down a cloth in vinegar solution and scrubbing out the bottom of the cage and taking out one perch at a time and scrubbing it. They flap around so much whenever I mess around in their cage. Stella is molting and I'm worried she'll break a blood feather. Do you think there would be any harm in just using that method with just water for a few months until they are hand-trained?

Thanks

I read somewhere that a really wet bird finds it hard to fly.. maybe try giving them some good sprays so it is hard for them to fly away. its fine because they need a bath anyways.. if its cold. maybe put a heater on in the room they are in.. elmo loves my hairdryer after i give him a bath.

I dont know where abouts you wash your cage.. but I do mine in the bathtub haha.. no one uses it anyways.. maybe you can put your budgies on the bench near you if there is one...and give them a big piece of millet to destroy.... i mean eat haha?

when I went to wash elmos cage, he has his wings clipped, I put him in a giant box and put his seed and water bowl inside it, so he just ate while i give his cage a good scrub.

otherwise is there someone else in your house?.. maybe get them to grab them and hold them while you are washing their cage. i suggest take all of the branches/perches, all of the toys out. so you can catch them as quick as possible. otherwise let them come out on their own and then mist them..

Name
    Aggy
    Thanks

We would transfer Booger to her travel cage when we cleaned her cage. We attached it to the open door of her cage. She would go into the other cage herself because there would be some millet there waiting for her.

Booger, Max, Molly & Tallulah