Tailfeathers
Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Showing signs of illness?

mystryn1

Showing signs of illness?

Hi
    Have had my budgie for just over a week now so I'm not really used to her character or habits yet. Especially with her being an older bird (well around a year we think here)

Anyway I came down at 6am this morning and she was hanging on to the side of the cage, head up and beak round one of the bars. I looked closely at her but she didnt seem to be having trouble breathing at all. I got up again at 8am and she was still there.
    For most of today she has sat on the rim of her food dish gently leaning her head against the side of the cage. She has just sat up and had something to eat. She isnt fluffed up or anything.
    I've made an appointment to take her to t he vet at 6pm this evening Just to be sure.

Was wondering if anyone else's birds do this?

Hatching
    Name
    karen
    Thanks

Re: Showing signs of illness?

My birds have never stayed in one place for that long of a time or leaned their head on the side oif the cage. If your bird is sick you at least noticed in record time . Let us know what the vet says. Good luck.

Banned Tailfeather Squawk and Howl's Avatar
    Name
    dani
    Thanks

mine did

when she had a resp infection.

make sure you take yours to a certified avian vet (please ASK). i took mine to someone calling himself an avaian vet (not certified) and he made the problem worse. my bird quickly got better when i went to a real avian vet.

mystryn1

Re: mine did

Well hubby took Fizz to the vets earlier as I had to work.

He is a certified avian vet and a pretty good one by all accounts.

He said he couldnt see any problems in her. No sign of respitory problems and she seemd healthy.
    He did a test for her blood count and general well being tests.
    He said he thought her diet may have been insufficient and he did a test for worms. (I didnt know birds could get worms) Personally I think she's been feed on seed alone the whole time s he was at the pet store.

I've been putting greens in her cage but so far no luck with her going near them.
    She has nibbled on a piece of apple once so maybe thats a start.

we have to take her back to the vet on Thursday.

He said she may have been hanging on the side of the cage as she's still not at home in it yet.

She seems ok tonight. Has eaten some seed and is preening her feathers at th eminute.
    So fingers crossed for her.

Hatching
    Name
    karen
    Thanks

Re: Great news

It's always better to be safe and have her checked than be sorry and find out to late she was sick. Glad all is working out for you and your little one. It will take her about a week to get used to her cage and every day you will notice she is better with you and her surroundings. Just take everything real slow and she will come around.

mystryn1

Thank you
    we're certainly trying to. She will sit on my finge rin the cage now and steps up w hen you ask her to.
    I only do this about once a day though as I think she still needs time ot herself.

Must be a bit of a shock to be taken away form the other birds into a new environment.
    In saying that, I cant wait to cuddle her lol

Hatching
    Name
    karen
    Thanks

Everyone says that on this site that gets a new little one about cuddling them. You are making good progress. Keep it up.