Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: african grey's

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Miguel
    Thanks

Re: african grey's

i've touched and talked to an african at a pet store before. I'll defintly consider a conures.

Spank me...I iz naughty!! Tailfeather Sir Peter of Canada's Avatar
    Name
    Peter
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mango_dude777 View Post
    I still want the african grey parrot but I might have to settle for something else. I'm eleven years old(twelve next month). so the onily job i have are going to school and taking care of the pets. and my dogs are pretty good with smaller animals. And I realize they are a huge commitment and that they are really intelligent,thats the reason why I want one. Its hard to convince me not to get an animal it just makes me want to do more research
    Out of curiosity...since you say you are only 11 years old...who is going to be paying for all of the things involved with a bird...be it a Grey or any other. As was mentioned by another poster, the birds themselves are expensive, cages are expensive...you don't put a Grey into a cheap $100 cage. Toys, food etc all add up...and who is going to be responsible for the vet care. Vet visits are expensive as well...I spent over $1500.00 in a 3 week span in Oct. and Nov. at the vets on 2 budgies...are you ready for those kinds of costs? I don't know of any 11yr old who can comprehend just how fast these costs can add up let alone the commitment needed to maintaining a birds health and well being...

Name
    Criss
    Thanks

Eleven is really young for adopting a child..oh i mean parrot. Dont be fooled, parrots are a lot of work, at times more challenging then human children. At eleven you dont have the life experiences or resources to care for one of these animals. What do your parents think of your getting a parrot? Whos is going to buy it? Who is going to pay the maintenance, vet bills, food bills, buy toys, cages etc? Older birds who have made it through puberty are wonderful pets, can bond very closely to their choosen humans, are not nearly as hormonal and baby birds. With an older bird you have the blessing of knowing who the bird is, as babies they are still figuring everything out. Just like you, at 11 you dont have the ability to know what you want from life, you dont know who you will end up with, where you will end up living or any of that.

Can i make a recommendation? Because you dont have the bird experience, volunteer at a Parrot rescue for a while an get some experience. Who knows you may find a parrot that you love and that loves you. Its all about finding a bird that wants to be with you, and rescue's are great for that. You could also look into fostering for a rescue, you look after the bird and work with him with the advice of the rescue and see how it works if its something that you and your family cant handle or the birds personitly does not mix well with your current home life then you continue looking and that bird is free to go to another loving family.

There are some great rescues in B.C. well worth looking into.
    http://www.greyhaven.bc.ca
    http://www.freewebs.com/friendsoffea...e/adoption.htm
    http://www.feathersbc.com/
    http://www.wingtips.org/
    http://www.parrotisland.net/
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Miguel
    Thanks

i breed crested gecko's in the summer and spring so i make alot of money from this

Moderator Tailfeather Community Moderator notredamebird's Avatar
    Name
    Danielle
    Thanks

As an African gray owner, I believe that African grays are wonderful birds, and you sound responsible.

However, I really think this is the wrong time to consider one. In ways you do not comprehend now, you will face many challenges and will change in the next 20 years. You will have significant others, college, careers, marriage, maybe kids. Fact is, you have no idea whether you will have the lifestyle or the time in 10 years. And the bird will live for 50+ years.

Please allow yourself some to grow. Learn about parrots and decide when yo are out of school.

Having an african gray is a lot like having a baby. Babies are great, but not when you are 11. The problem isn't that YOU aren't a great person, but rather than 99.8 of all 11 year olds just have too much in front of them to be ready.
    Atrus---Wesley---Tolkien
    Catherine---Lúthien---Elwing---Tipti

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Miguel
    Thanks

Yeah, I decided not to get one. I'll look into some other large parrot.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Miguel
    Thanks

what about a military macaw?

Spank me...I iz naughty!! Tailfeather Sir Peter of Canada's Avatar
    Name
    Peter
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mango_dude777 View Post
    what about a military macaw?
    You'll get the same questions that have been asked before that you have not answered...

Next bird-English Budgie Tailfeather Pootspete's Avatar
    Name
    Grace
    Thanks

I still want the african grey parrot but I might have to settle for something else. I'm eleven years old(twelve next month). so the onily job i have are going to school and taking care of the pets. and my dogs are pretty good with smaller animals. And I realize they are a huge commitment and that they are really intelligent,thats the reason why I want one. Its hard to convince me not to get an animal it just makes me want to do more research.
    Miguel, you claim that you are eleven. When you registered at Tailfeathers you specifically received the message below, if you actually put your real birth year in the first time and then ignored the message and put in an earlier birth year to gain access to Tailfeathers:

Due to United States COPPA laws of 1998 prohibiting internet websites to collect information about users under the age of 13, we are unable to register you at this time. We apologize for this inconvenience.
    Tailfeathers has certain guidelines they follow and since you admitted that you are eleven, we need to follow the United States COPPA law that was put into place back in 1998 and have to ask you to kindly not to post any more. Sorry for the inconvenience. You are free to read threads but we have to ask you not to participate in them.

Thank you.

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Hey Mango,

All of the comments above about these birds are true. Greys are VERY intelligent and they require a lot of attention! I wanted an African Grey for 10 years before I actually got one. I got Gigabyte when he was 5 weeks old and on 2 feedings a day. He is now 8 years old. He is a wonderful, even though sometimes aggravating, pet. Actually, he is more like a family member than a pet. Living with a Grey is like having a 3 year old (that never grows up!) in the house and you need to be prepared for that. Greys need A LOT of attention!

These birds do, indeed, have a reputation for being one person birds and they are extremely resistant to change. You need to be aware of this before making the commitment to a bird who's life span is 60+ years. However, that being said, you can train up the bird to overcome these things, but it will take time, work and patience.

Both myself and my husband handfed our baby. At about a year old, he started biting my husband. I was the only one who could handle him. My husband could no longer handle him without getting badly bitten. He would have to put Gigabyte in his cage using a stick and it was a race to get to the cage before the bird got to the end of the stick and bit him. We were able to overcome this, however it took a lot of time, a lot of patience and a great deal of work. Now, Gigabyte not only loves both of us and both of us can handle him, but he will even go to strangers and let them pet him. Even children, which typically, Greys are typically not good with. He also spends a big part of most days out of the cage.

Keep in mind, if a Grey is not happy, well-adjusted and well-socialized, they do, as several people have pointed out, pluck more so than other parrots. They can also be quite loud! I live on a 1/4 acre and all my neighbors can hear him when he gets loud.

Greys also tend to be nippy, so be prepared to get bitten on occasion .... even if the bird is as well-socialized as mine. Gigabyte does get cranky and a bit bossy, especially when molting. He still does, at times, bite. And they bite hard! On more than one occasion he has drawn blood!

Greys are also very possessive about their cages, even well-socialized ones. You need to keep this in mind when considering that someone else will have to care for it in your absence. Because of this, I never have someone come into my home to care for him. They could easily get bit feeding him, taking him out of the cage, or trying to put him back in cage, especially if he was not ready to go back - even if he knows them. When I travel, I either take him with me or I board him.

How long you can keep him in a cage? I have left him as long as 13 hours. While this was for a relatively short period of his life, it was before and during this time that we had such a problem with his biting. Considering all the potential issues discussed above and by other members, it is not advisable to do this on a long term basis, otherwise you will end up with a bird who is unhappy, plucking, biting and very difficult to live with.

I agree with the others, If you must leave him alone for long periods of time on a daily basis, it would be wiser for you to purchase a bird that does not require so much one-on-one attention until your life situation can accommodate the bird's needs. Having a Grey (or any medium to large parrot) is a huge responsibility ... especially for an 11 year old.
    Last edited by GreyMamma; 01-09-2008 at 07:08 AM. Reason: When I wrote, the author of the original post had not revealed his age.

Bow chicka wow wow! I... Found a Mate Breadpazoid's Avatar
    Name
    Jillybean
    Thanks

The best thing you could possibly do is find a place that sells greys or even better yet, a rescue, and spend time volunteering to take care of them, and see how the staff handles them. Learn as much as you can BEFORE you get one - there is no replacement for not only hands on experience, but a good first impression between you and the bird that you eventually choose.

A CAG is my own heart's desire. I am so enamored with those birds. But I am 20 years old and I still feel like I am not ready to properly meet the challenges these birds bring. I feel like I ought to have a bachelor's degree in psychology before I am qualified...LOL

Right now I have two weird female cockatiels and a parakeet. You will be surprised, a parakeet can grow on you like you didn't expect. I am at my limit right now but the next bird I want to get is a caique (or maybe an indian ringneck with my sweetie). Once I feel competent handling those birds, which are several notches more complex than budgies, I will probably say it is time to go for the African Grey. That is just me. But if you have never had birds before, I highly recommend starting with something less sensitive. Greys are sometimes said to be famous for holding grudges...be ready for the good and bad!

Edit: I just now noticed that most of what I said especially about the volunteering had been mentioned before. Whoops - sorry!

Edit edit: I was searching for grey articles and totally didn't even pay attention to how old this thread was. I feel extra dumb! I'm really sorry, please ignore. Must be having a blonde moment...
    Last edited by Breadpazoid; 04-24-2008 at 08:23 PM.

Mom to Ducky! (female cinnamon GCC)...THANK YOU Keet for the gorgeous sig!!
    Won't you come see me after 12am?

Name
    Chris
    Thanks

I know many people that have grey's and work all day long and their birds are not pluckers or screamers. If you provide them with plenty of toys to play with and from the start only give them the amount of attention that you will always be able to give them they usually adjust well.

Tailfeather
    Name
    LC
    Thanks

I know that the kid who started this can't post, but I'm going to add my two cents anyhow.

It sounds like you have "bigbirditis" You want a big, flashy, smart bird who can talk. Yeah, that's fun for a while, but not when your big, talking bird turns into a screaming, feather plucking bird because you started high school and don't have as much time or because you now want to spend more time with friends and less with the bird.

Birds are NOT CHEAP. There is NO WAY a kid can own a bird or any other animal without their parents backing them up 110%. Birds get expensive. We spend over $30 a month on food for my birds. Vet care can quickly go into the $1000's, which you won't be able to pay for with money made from breeding geckos.

Plus, owning a bird means your whole family has to change how they live. No more fabreezing things, no non stick cookware, no burning scented candles. Is your family willing to give all that up?

When you're eleven, it's easy to think "Oh, I'll have 4 hours a day for the next 50 years to devote to a bird" but that's really not how it works. I have two smaller parrots who don't need nearly the stimulation that a bird like a grey does (that doesn't mean they don't get toys and interaction, it's just way different then a grey would need), and they're still tons of work. Thankfully, they can easily entertain themselves if I'm busy.

I can guarantee that you WON'T have the time for a grey once you reach high school and college. What will you do with the bird when you go to college and are living in a dorm? You have to consider not just the next few years of your life, but the next 50 years.

Getting a baby bird doesn't mean it will love -you- either. Some birds just bond to one person, and that person may not be you. Some birds hate one person. Can you deal with that?

If you really want a bird, and your family is willing to make the changes in how they live to allow a bird to thrive in your household, I would suggest you look into a smaller bird, who doesn't require a life long commitment or have such big behavior issues like greys. A budgie would be a great choice, and if your parents are willing to pay for food and vet care, you should be able to save up enough money for a proper cage and toys on your own.

Hatched!
    Name
    Kris
    Thanks

You have to think that this bird will probably live to around 30 - 40 years so there are a lot of things to consider. Like what about if you go away to college? Or if you meet someone who doesnt like birds / is allergic?

You have to consider all of these things.

Hence why we didnt get Ollie until I had settled with my boyfriend. Because at this point I was doing my degree here at home, and my boyfriend wanted one as much as me. So we got him knowing we will definately have nothing to stop us loving him for the next 10 - 15 years (hes a teil, so shorter life expectancy). The only thing we have to think about is kids, but lets not go there yet!! Id rather get another bird :P

I know you cant reply, but also what do your parents think about this?

And the cost! Greys cost about £600 - £800 and the cage will be £200 ish. Then theres food and toys, thats probably about £300 a year. Then vet bills! Ollie gets a check up once a year which is about £20 but then if there is a problem and I take him in that is normally about £50! We struggle and we have 2 wages coming in. But luckily we have the joys of the credit card which come well in handy!!

I would reccomend somthing smaller, like a teil! I still think they are perfect for first timers