Tailfeathers
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Hatching
    Name
    karen
    Thanks

Dangers for budgies on the floor

I just notice that the heating vents on the floor are just wide enough between the slots for the budgie foot to go into. Skyler was walking around chasing a ball and he got close to it. I never would of given it a thought if I didn't see the heater vent and him beside each other. They are sharp if you stick your finger in them. So I hate to venture a guess on what it could do to a leg and foot that got trapped in it. Just a heads to anyone this would apply to.

Egg's Cracking...
    Name
    Lisa
    Thanks

and baseboard heat!

My little Gizmo has he wings clipped and can only fly a few feet.... well he flew into the kitchen, where I don't like him to be. I'm always afraid he's going to get behind the refrigerator or stove.

So, I got him onto my finger and as soon I started walking back to the living room he flew off... right in back of the refrigerator!!! ..... well after I calmed myself down, I tried to move the refrigerator away from the wall, hoping I not crushing him at the same time. Turns out, he wasn't behind it or under it. He landed right on the baseboard heat and slid in between the slat opening!!! I freaked out. The poor thing kept trying to get out the same way he went in. But angle of the slat made it easy to fall in but impossible to get out! After about 20 min (seemed like hours), I was able to grab him from underneath.... kicking and screaming, I pulled him out by his foot ... I didn't have any other choice. I thought if I let go now, I may never get a hold of him agin!

He was fine.... I wasn't!!!

Hatching
    Name
    karen
    Thanks

Oh my gosh

Well your story was much worse and scarier. Skyler's wings are clipped to and he gets into more trouble than our Bailey that doesn't have his clipped. Today he flew away and almost fell behind the piano but turned in time and landed on a picture frame. I try and watch him so close but he can find ways to make my heart stop. Glad
    Gizmo was OK.

Speaker of the house (the chatty one) Tailfeather Duddles's Avatar
    Name
    Duddles
    Thanks

Re: Oh my gosh

Eek! I think that there must be something that can be placed over vents to prevent this. I imagine some sort of screen that has the same size holes as a window screen, placed over the vent. Only the edges woudl have to be contained in something that would not leave sharp bits sticking out, and it would have to be made of safe material (imagine zinc or teflon being heated and vapourized througout the entire room in the air current from the heater)

Hatching
    Name
    karen
    Thanks

I'll figure something out

Thank goodness it is almost the end of the heating season here in Michigan. I did have the play gym cage on top of Bailey's cage. Then I read not to put cages to high as it causes dominant behavior. that is all I need to do is add more macho to Bailey's personality. I have until September when the heat comes on again to figure something out.