Sadly, my darling baby Kodiak is no longer with us. It was a very sad abd scary day with times we thought he would be okay but the day ended very sad.
It is very hard for me to write this, so I am going to try and get out it before I start balling again. I got up this morning to find kodiak on the bottom of his cage which is not like him before - he unlike Becca is always on the hig perches. I asked him to step up on my finger so I could check him over and nothing - he didn't even look at me. I got very worried, so I just picked him up and noticed his left foot was completely closed as if he was perching on air. He's other foot seemed okay, but he was still paying me no attention. I put him on the table and nothing - he didn't move a muscle. I tried to open his foot a little with my finger and while I could open it some I didn't want to force it and once I let go and closed again.
I was very worried still in my pajama bottoms I threw on a coat and rushed him to the vets. I didn't even call first. In the car he was making a racket, so I looked and noticed he started having a seizure. There was nothing I could do while driving, so already speeding I started going even faster. Luckily we didn't get pulled over and we got there safely.
I walk in and he sees me right away - I tell him what happened and about the seziure in the car. He tells me that without tests and looking him over it sounds as if he had a seizure over night and that is why he was on the bottom of the cage and as for his left foot - he could be in shock and just not moving it or could possibly be paralized - possibly temporarily.
He looks him over and comes to the thought that it looks as if his whole left side is paralized. He then quickly pulls some blood and makes a phone call. He is calling a specialist to see if they can fit me in right away. My vet is then telling me he was going to send me to a specialist to see what is going on and that deals with this stuff on a more regular basis and that he will fit me in today. As I am getting ready to take Kodiak there he has yet another seizure.
The vet then calls up back to the room and decides Kodiak should not be transported until he is more stable which I agree with him. He then goes 30 minutes with no seizures and is acting okay and actually paying attention to me and asking for itches and then has another one. Right then I talk to me vet and tell him I have had enough - this is no way for him to live. I ask if there is anything that can be done. Nothing has seemed to work. He then has another 3 seizures in the course of 20 minutes. I then yell "STOP" - I told him it just wasn't right and we have to end it. I decided then to have Kodiak put to sleep.
My vet wanted to leave that decision up to me and thought it was a good decision as did I. It just wasn't right and non of the drugs helped him. Maybe I should have given him more time, but I feel I had to do this. I hope you all don't judge me and think I made the wrong call, but I felt it was right.
Later my vet told me that he believes Kodiak could have had a neurological disorder.
Meanwhile, Becca has an appointment was my vet Sunday for a recheck on her allergies.
I feel so awful and sad right now and miss my good friend so much. Kodiak meant the world to me and I loved him with every breath of my heart.
I love you Kodiak