Tailfeathers
Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Can tail bobbing be normal?

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Can tail bobbing be normal?

Hello. New member here, with a question that is quite generic but of course seems special and important to me.

The long(ish) story is this: I had a pair of budgies. One died (of Going Light Syndrome, apparently) and, since I was about to go on holiday right then, I put the other one (Mustard) in a bird hotel so it wouldn't be lonely. While I was gone, the bird hotel had a psittacosis scare. (Someone brought in a sick chicken by accident.) Anyway, Mustard was tested and found negative, and I was allowed to take him home three weeks ago.

So, because of all this woe, I am now extra paranoid about his health. At the start, I was very worried: he was quiet, sitting just in one spot, eating very little... and his tail was bobbing. Not all the time, and not a lot--just a couple of millimeters. So I took him to a vet. His tail was annoyingly stationary during the checkup, and the vet gave him a hand-exam only (no lab tests.) He concluded that the budgie seems very healthy, and some behavioural weirdness is normal given all his recent stress, but I should keep an eye on him.

Well, I have. I have also tried to relieve his depression by getting him a friend. The new bird is currently in a second cage for quarantine reasons, but in the same room, and seems healthy... and the difference in Mustard has been enormous. He now eats normally, runs around all over the cage, preens like crazy and makes up his usual complicated budgie-songs. He looks, acts (and poops) like a healthy budgie...

...but the tail-bobbing keeps recurring! I don't see it every time I observe him, and of course observations made when he is chirping (which is much of the time) or recovering from an exercise session have to be discounted, but a couple of times a day I will see that little up-and-down motion while the rest of the budgie seems to be at rest. And I have no idea whether this is a new problem (well, a problem of the last three weeks) or an old one, because I never looked this closely before, and it's not that obvious a motion, nothing like the tail-metronome I saw on my dying bird.

Should I take him back to the vet? I am pretty sure the vet himself would say no, because he thinks vet visits stress a bird's system and should not be undertaken lightly. If I saw any other symptom, I would press the point, but there's nothing.

Egg's Cracking... crayontree741's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Can tail bobbing be normal?

Welcome to the site!

Does the entire bird bounce with the tail too? Mine do that when they listen to music (they think they are dancing). It sounds like he is acting normal, otherwise..... I just got an idea. Why dont you take a video of his tail bobbing, and send it to the vet? Then he can actually see it and make a better decision Good luck!
    My Flock--

Name
    cathy
    Thanks

Hi, welcome
    it does sound like it is normal.
    l agree with Holly, if you are still worried about the tail bobbing you should make a video, that was a great idea.
    Last edited by silverfox; 01-21-2008 at 10:28 AM. Reason: spelling

Think before typing Tailfeather
    Thanks

The amount of tail bobbing you are describing sounds normal. It always bobs a little bit when they are breathing - mine do that too a little bit. When it gets more exagerated and is bobbing on the order of centimeters, or you notice sneezing or discharge with it is when it gets to be a problem.

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Thanks, everyone.

I don't think the bobbing is due to dancing or anything like that: I am only counting times when the bird seems to be at rest. But I am very glad that other people have observed this in healthy birds. (My other bird has a very stable tail, however, so it would have to be a natural variation--maybe depending on how a budgie likes to sit?)

I might try making a video, but the only video-making equipment I have is my phone camera, and I am not sure it's good enough to produce anything visible.

At any rate, I will keep a close watch on Mustard.

Hatching
    Name
    juliet
    Thanks

hello and welcome,
    my male beaker, does pump his tail more than moast birds ive had, and i actually posted it as a problem i thought here, he does it after exersise and stress, and since hes with a hen with babies he;s worse, but it gets better as the tension is released, i let him out to play with his son from the last clutch, and he workes it out, i was taking him to a small cage in the bathroom for an hour or two a day to calm down with the last clutch, and it did wonders, he now comes out to play and is cool, buit the tail thing is still there some, he;s always done it to some degree, since i got them from a hot garadge sale,
    good luck,
    juliet
    im owned by merlin,[bird protecting cattle dog],2 budgies[beaker and punkinhead],25 silky chickens and 9very funny looking mixed breed bantam chix.

Name
    ally
    Thanks

all of mine " tail bob". its not much but they do. it use to scare me. i was thinking why do all budgies tail bob if all over the internet say it means there sick. there is no way all the budgies on this island are sick so it has to be normal

Think before typing Tailfeather
    Thanks

All budgies bob their tail a bit while they breathe; it's when the tail is moving more than a cm that it should worry you, as that is a sign of respitory distress.

Name
    ally
    Thanks

oo i got that.... after i scared my self =p

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Michele
    Thanks

Question Re: Can tail bobbing be normal?

Quote Originally Posted by crayontree741 View Post
    Welcome to the site!

Does the entire bird bounce with the tail too? Mine do that when they listen to music (they think they are dancing). It sounds like he is acting normal, otherwise..... I just got an idea. Why dont you take a video of his tail bobbing, and send it to the vet? Then he can actually see it and make a better decision Good luck!
    Have a similar issue..

I recently bought a female budgie from a pet store where she was in a medium cage with two male budgies and they were never handled. When I got her home her tail has bobbed ever since. I am including a video to see if this should be an issue... the closest avian vet is an hour and a half away and the other one thatís closer has no openings for months and I donít wanna put her through the stress going to the vet if this is a normal adjustment ...she doesnít seem to have any other symptoms - she eats, drinks, preens, and did well on her first day out and even stepped up onto a perch that I help out to her to go back to her cage!

https://youtu.be/HXyDcGAxjrg