Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Dog, meet your new sibling!

Name
    Kelley
    Thanks

Dog, meet your new sibling!

I am getting a new lovie in the next few weeks and I have a few questions. I currently have a 2 year old miniature pinscher. He is an only child, and VERY spoiled. He has NEVER been aggressive towards any person, or other dog. He even tries to be friends with cats, even though they don't usually like him much. However, he is very fascinated by birds. I think its just because they are usually flying, or running away very fast (in the bushes). I want billy and my new lovie to be friends. Has anyone had experience with introducing new birds to their dogs? Any advice? Thank you!

Tailfeather Tailfeathers Supporter!Tailfeathers Supporter! Lovebirdfan's Avatar
    Name
    Karen
    Thanks

Re: Dog, meet your new sibling!

http://www.tailfeathersnetwork.com/b...sionofpets.php
    This is a good article on that subject. Keep in mind that even if he has never been aggressive, he can easily hurt the bird if left unsupervised. (no matter how friendly they seem together). And a lovebird can be quite aggressive to the dog too-- they are quite fearless!

Name
    Kelley
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Lovebirdfan View Post
    http://www.tailfeathersnetwork.com/b...sionofpets.php
    This is a good article on that subject. Keep in mind that even if he has never been aggressive, he can easily hurt the bird if left unsupervised. (no matter how friendly they seem together). And a lovebird can be quite aggressive to the dog too-- they are quite fearless!
    Well, I never intended to leave them unsupervised together. I wouldn't leave the bird unsupervised by itself! That is very good info though. Do you think that when no one is home I should move the birds cage into my bedroom and keep the dog in the rest of the house? Just to prevent any kind of curiousity or temptation?

Snuggled, not stirred Teenager BridgeyRoo's Avatar
    Name
    Bridget H. Shea
    Thanks

We had our Tini first and then got Sammie Doodle, our pooch - the introduction was okay. But Tini definitely puts Sammie in her place. They actually have (supervised) stand-offs - with Sammie ending up running away (she is scared of Tini). Tini will try to nip at Sammie given the option and Sammie just runs when she sees Tini coming. I run interference and the two are NEVER out alone together, mostly they ignore each other. I work very hard with Sammie both inside our home and outside to emphasize that too much interest in birds is no good - I do not allow her to chase birds outside. She has never snapped at Tini (or Cosmo our bcc), but if she raises her head funny when Tini flies by I emphasize to her a severe "No" - so I get the point across. I have never had a problem by staying on top of their "relationship". Also, keep in mind that dog salvia is not good for birds, so although Billy and your new bird may be friends, it wouldn't be wise to allow him to lick the bird.

Name
    Helen
    Thanks

we have a dog at my moms. she doesnt want to give him up now lol i've had up to three birds in seperate cages while living there. he's very good with them, and will calmly wander up to their cages and sniff them very politely before ignoring them. they stay downstairs and get playtime upstairs or are let out when he is out or asleep in the other room. but he's half beagle. a dog designed to attack birds and he is a good catch. a very good catch. i just wont risk it.

although sparks does love screaming for the dog and scolding him. or better making the noise just like his leash rattling. little booger lol

Name
    Evelyn
    Thanks

I have 2 dogs, can't let Thor out with them in the room, he thinks he can play with them, he fears nothing and would go right to them, I have a kennel for each of them and they have to go into them when he is out, funny cause they are afraid of Liberty our cockatiel she dive bombs them and they take off into their kennels without me telling them too, so I let her out first and that solves the problem.. Ha!
    My Fids Liberty and Thor

Remove Ads