Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Rant: Screaming tiel

Name
    cryssee
    Thanks

Rant: Screaming tiel

alright. so... Jack USED to be a really good singer. he used to sing all the time. but now he just screams and screams and screams. i've never had a screaming bird before, and it's driving me up the wall. i don't know what his screaming is all about. i bought him new toys, and gave him treats and he still does it. i don't want Zen to catch on with the screaming as well. Zen is a beautiful singer. he has learned so many things in such a small amount of time. he's a much faster learner than his father, Jack.

and... i also don't like covering the cage when Jack screams, because if i cover him, i cover the babies too. and they don't deserve it. why do birds scream!?

Moderator Tailfeather Community Moderator notredamebird's Avatar
    Name
    Danielle
    Thanks

Re: Rant: Screaming tiel

When is he screaming? All the time? Or just when he knows you are at home and doing something other than socializing with him?
    Atrus---Wesley---Tolkien
    Catherine---Lúthien---Elwing---Tipti

Hatching
    Thanks

here's an article i found for you, i hope it helps! your birds are beautiful! good luck.

Stop Your Cockatiel Screaming

A screaming cockatiel can be a problem at one point or another for its owner.

Cockatiels scream because of boredom and frustration. Sometimes the screaming is negatively reinforced by the cockatiel’s owner by paying attention to the screaming. This is actually a reward that reinforces the cockatiel’s behavior.

Cockatiel screaming is a learned behavior, and there is no magic cure for it. This is a behavior that only the proper discipline and altering the owner’s behavior patterns will fix, but just as it took time to create this behavior, it will take time to correct it.

The first thing that you want to make sure of is that your cockatiel knows the “step up” command. Be sure that your cockatiel knows the “step up” command and “walking up the ladder” exercise.

These are very important lessons that are very helpful in training as they show your bird that you are the leader of the flock. Keep in mind that status is everything in the world of a bird, and once you have established that you are the leader of the flock, getting your cockatiel to do what you want it to do will be much easier.

You need to have an established routine with your bird. Birds do not like spontaneity. They like their lives to be predictable and they like a set routine. If there is a lot of activity in your house, this will make your bird insecure and nervous and your cockatiel will start screaming.

Some people will throw a cover over the cage of a screaming cockatiel, but this should be done quickly and quietly as possible. Do not make a big fuss while you are doing this. If you yell at the bird while doing this, the bird takes this as a reward, and it will reinforce the cockatiel screaming. As soon as the bird is quiet, take the cover off. If you leave it on, the birds will not associate the cage being covered to its screaming.

If your bird sees you as its mate, it may scream when you are out of the room. It is trying to keep track of you and make sure that nothing has gotten you. If you have a cockatiel screaming for this reason, be sure to call back to the cockatiel to let him/her know that nothing has gotten you.

Many times, cockatiels get loud, but they are not screaming, although it may seem like the cockatiel is screaming. A cockatiel will greet the sunrise and sunset with quite a bit of energy. This is just showing the world that life is great and the cockatiel is happy.

A cockatiel will also make noise if you walk in from going to work or running errands. This is not necessarily screaming, it is just sounds of happiness. This is especially true if your cockatiel thinks of you as its mate.

Some people that have a screaming cockatiel think that it helps to get a second cockatiel, however, if you have inadvertently taught your first cockatiel to scream, then the new one will learn this unacceptable behavior. The best thing to do is to get the problem of screaming from you first bird under control before bringing another bird into your home to avoid having two cockatiels screaming.

Name
    Bonnie
    Thanks

Mine also scream when they're excited... so i'm not so sure about the frustrated/bored suggestion being the causes.

Mine are sort of like dogs When they hear the front door open (it squeaks so you can hear it a mile away!), they go nuts just like a dog would. As soon as you come in and say hi, they quiet down.

It took a while to figure out their screaming patterns but if you watch it (maybe even journal it - who is around, what's going on, etc) i'm sure you can figure out what the screaming is all about

Bella's Personal Maid Moulting elfhome's Avatar
    Name
    Katie
    Thanks

Bella 'screams' when she is happy, playing, or excited. When she is visiting my family they will play with her all day and she will scream and shriek throughout the day. Music she likes, sirens, and the sounds of birds outside also set her off. She screams for real when she is terrified, when I try to sleep in (she likes her schedule so I have to be up by 8 am), if I forget to let her in the bathroom for her shower, or if she has been disturbed by something. They sound somewhat similar but there is a bit of a difference between a terrified scream and an excited one. Mainly I can only tell by context.

Name
    cryssee
    Thanks

thank you for your replies, and for that article.

Jack does it whether i'm in the room or not. Zen screams at me when he's excited to see me, like when i come home. and he'll start doing a little chuckle sound. he's the cutest. but i don't know about Jack. he has just started screaming all of a sudden. mainly when i uncover them in the mornings, and when i get ready for work. i thought maybe he was stressed out or something. he's not tame. but he's not wild either. somewhere in between. mostly timid. i've had him for quite awhile, and i had never been able to gain his trust 100%. the only time he allows me to touch him is when he's crash landed and doesn't feel like flying back to the cage. he'll let me cup him up and set him back in the cage. but if i take too long about it, he'll get a bit nippy.

Hatching
    Name
    Mary
    Thanks

I don't believe they scream for no reason. I just don't understand them, so I can't always figure out why they are screaming. Most of the time, the birds are quiet. Lily will scream when she wants something. I just have to figure out what it is she wants. She gets scared a lot, and she screams when she really wants something different to eat. Just like babies, my birds are trying to communicate with me, I just don't always know what it is they are trying to tell me.

Tracy Egg's Cracking...
    Name
    Tracy
    Thanks

One of ours has just started screaming, and you are right- makes me crazy too!
    I think we have found that he is over stimulated! They have a new (ish - we have been here a month) over a river,- ducks, geese, seagulls..... all over!
    Ifound yesterday that when Tom was screaming and flying and wouldn't calm down, I lowered the blind slightly so that he saw less and that worked. Did it again today. After he was calm for an hour or so I raised it again....
    but I guess it is trial and error for each bird.
    Same with you - our Tom won't step up as he is timid!

Remove Ads