Tailfeathers
Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Budgie Vomiting

andreat

Budgie Vomiting

Hi, I wonder if you can help me.

My pet budgie (Olly) is almost 6 years old over the past two years has had episodes of vomiting, after which he looks quite sick for the next 24-48 hours, but so far as always recuperated by himself. The very first time it happened I took him to the vet who said there was nothing I could do for him other than keep him warm and quiet.

The episodes of vomiting often occur just after he's had a fly around and I'm becoming reluctant to let him out too much anymore.

One day I'm concerned he is going to become sick and not recover, so I'm wondering if there is anything I can be doing for him to prevent this. I have heard something about putting glycerine in his water?

Can you please help?

Regards
    andreat

The Fanatical Eriwinkle Baby Erin CG's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Budgie Vomiting

Hello, and welcome to Tailfeathers.

What you describe concerns and puzzles me. First off, when your budgie is out of his cage on a flying episode, is he getting into anything that could harm him or make him ill? Is he chewing on anything, etc.? Another possibility is that he has some sort of brain tumor, or neurological problem that is causing his symptoms. I don't want to alarm you, but it does sound serious. In the wild, birds hide their illnesses as long as possible, so as to appear healthy and strong to avoid predators. Unfortunatly for we captive-bird owners, it can somtimes be hard to tell if your bird is sick until the situation becomes quite serious. So the fact that your budgie is showing signs of illness is a concern.

I know you care for your bird, and are worried about his health as you said. You definitaly need to take your bird to see an avian veterinairan. An avian vet specializes in bird-care, and from the sounds of it, your bird needs this kind of specialized care. The vet you took your bird to probably did not know what to look for/test for, and was therefore unequipped to help. The following link will take you to a post that contains information on how to find an avian vet near you:

How to find an avian vet

This is an interesting problem, and one I would be interested in hearing more about after your bird has been examined by an avian vet. Please keep us updated on any further news, and please don't hesitate to ask further questions. Good luck to you, and love to Olly.

Next bird-English Budgie Tailfeather Pootspete's Avatar
    Name
    Grace
    Thanks

Hi there and welcome to Tailfeathers and thank you for sharing with us about Olly.

Andreat, Erin pointed out some importants issues. Please, take the time and bring your bird to an Avian Vet as soon as possible, as I know you are concerned, as we all are.

Please keep us posted!

Speaker of the house (the chatty one) Tailfeather Duddles's Avatar
    Name
    Duddles
    Thanks

Welcome to Tailfeathers, andreat.

It definitely sounds as though something is making Olly ill. Idon't know what I can add to Erin's suggestions. All I can do is say that I agree with her 100%. Olly needs to go to an avian vet. I am guessing that the vet that you saw before who told you to just keep him warm and quiet was not an avian vet, because you mention no testing, no proper diagnosis, and no treatment really. I am sure that Olly loves to come out, and keeping in his cage all the time to prevent these episodes must really affect his mood in a negative way, which can only make him sicker. If you can't find an avian vet within a driveable distance, at leat call the closest avian vets you can find, explain what is going on, and ask them what they think you should do. Ask them if there is a vet nearby that they have consulted for in the past, that may know more about treating birds than most regular vets. But if at all possible, I would take Olly to an avian vet. Regurgitation of food for affection is one thing. But vomiting and appearing ill for two days - that needs immediate veterinary attention.

andreat

Thank you ...

Thank you all for your comments ... I will certainly try to find an avian vet for Olly.

Erin, you mentioned a brain tumour or neurological disorder. As Olly has got older I've noticed that he can't fly as far as he used to ... he will get puffed and become disorientated and crash. Maybe doing that too many times has caused an internal problem for him, although his personality doesn't seem to have changed at all ... he is still as talkative and chirpy as ever.

Right now he is very well ... he came out last night for a little fly around, but I made sure it wasn't for too long this time. I also make sure he doesn't come out soon after he's had some seed which I thought might be part of the problem as well.

I might start letting him have a fly round in the mornings, before he starts feeding, and see if that makes a difference.

Thanks again for your help everyone ... I'll let you know how I get on finding a vet.

Cheers
    Andrea