Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Strange question/situation

Name
    Annette
    Thanks

Strange question/situation

Hi, this is my first time here! I have an odd situation that I am hoping to get some advice on... I have 4 birds (2 cockatiels, 2 parakeets) that are in one cage (they were raised together from birth). The only female is one of my cockatiels. She prefers a parakeet....... They had been "trying" to have sex for about a year (all birds are 2 years old). About a week and a half ago, I caught them actually HAVING SEX. He figured it out! So now my dilemma....

I have to separate the birds so she doesn't keep laying eggs (which I am hoping will start today, we will see if I have an egg when I get home). Do I put the two cockatiels in a cage? Or will she decide to pay attention to my male cockatiel? If so, do I put her in a cage by herself? If she goes into a cage by herself, do I buy another bird, this time female, to keep her companion? Or will it be enough if the two cages are side by side?

I don't want her to be alone and get depressed, but I don't want her laying eggs constantly.

Love the feather family Egg's Cracking... SByrd's Avatar
    Name
    Shana
    Thanks

Re: Strange question/situation

You can put them in a cage side by side, but if you put the male with her they should be fine. Just make sure there is no nest box and decrease her daylight hours. They should be fine together.
    Byrds Tiels Here
    Jasmine- Cinnamon cockatiel
    Paris- Gray cockatiel
    Maxine- Cinnamon Pearl cockatiel
    Hercules- gray split to pearl cockatiel
    Echo- whiteface lutino split to pied cockatiel
    General- Umbrella Cockatoo

Name
    Annette
    Thanks

Thanks! So since she has always ignored my male cockatiel, she will continue to ignore him? I just don't want her to decide that he IS worthy of breeding with..... I would like to have babies, but not at this stage in life. We aren't home enough.

Also, an update... When I got home, there was one beautiful pearly white egg in the cage. But she is completely ignoring it. So is daddy. Do I leave it in the cage in case she decides she wants to sit on them? It has a tiny crack, and you can see an itty bit of ooze. I took it out of the cage to examine it, and she didn't hiss at all. New mom syndrome! But I also don't want to leave it in the cage if she has no interest, as it might get broken and make a mess of the cage. Or, different idea, do I leave it in the cage, but put it on the bottom so if it cracks it goes into the litter at the bottom of the cage? Right now it is in their jungle gym.

Name
    Annette
    Thanks

Sorry it has taken me so long to get back, I have little time for posting these days!

I will have time for moving them into a new cage this weekend. Do I throw away the eggs at that time? She still shows absolutely no interest in the eggs (she now has laid 3, but that could change tonight)

Also, want to verify that she won't start "hitting" on my male cockatiel if they are together....

Thank you!

Amorous Tailfeather
    Thanks

No, don't throw them away. The females will sometimes wait until all the eggs are laig to start incubating them all at once. So she might be ready to lay more. If you throw them away she might just try to lay more, which will be harder on her body. I doubt they will be fertile.

She MIGHT start "hitting" on your boy, but you need to seperate them anyway. You can avoid this problem by giving them less daylight and more sleep, and make sure there is no nest-box type area for her to lay the eggs in.

Name
    Sheila
    Thanks

NO dont throw them yet...they can lay up to 8 eggs in a clutch...and sometimes wont start sitting on them until the 2nd 3rd egg...so wait to see if anymore eggs appear....once its been about a week since the last egg......wait at least a month. then you can throw them away

Name
    Lynne
    Thanks

I might consider throwing away the cracked one if it's oozing. Can it be repaired with some elmers glue. Some people do this, but usually not if there's leakage.
    I'm not sure if this will work, but I have tiels that keep laying too so my vet said to cover them with a dark sheet for 12 to 14 hours each night to break the breeding cycle. Dont know if this will work for you, but it's something you could try if you can't separate them.
    tikileahsmom

Remove Ads