Tailfeathers
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Linda1164

Male Budgies Fighting???

I have three male budgies (all gotten at different times). Two of them have bonded, and they groom and feed each other all day long, but the third one is like an outsider. He is smaller than the other two, and the biggest bird seems to always chase him around, trying to peck at him.

Well, the other morning when I uncovered the cage, the small one looked like he had been in a fight!! His head and face looked funny... feathers looked wet and had some kind of faint brown spots on it (blood???) and he was not acting like his usual speedy self. I also witnessed the big bird go over to him and start pecking at him, and he seemed to not be able to move away as fast as he normally would.

I took him out of the cage and put him into a small cage by himself. I guess this traumatized him a little, because at first he was really, really quiet and didn't move from the spot he was in for hours!! Not even to eat. I coaxed him with some millet spray and he ate it, then went and got some water and after that he seemed to perk up and started chirping and stuff. He seems fine now, except that he's in new surroundings and seems unsure of that.

I put the cage next to the other one and they are chirping at each other, and the other two seem quite perturbed that he is not with them, and I guess he is too (???).

My question is, should I keep them separated forever?? Will he be too lonely by himself?? He has his favorite mirror in the cage with him and seems to be having fun trying to "feed" it.2 (He never engaged in any feeding or grooming activities with the other two birds though!!

Where The Birds Always Sing Tailfeather Birdmad Girl's Avatar
    Name
    Lee-Anne
    Thanks

Re: Male Budgies Fighting???

I am sorry to hear that your budgies aren't getting on too well.

It does sound like the two bigger ones have been picking on the smaller one, and it doesn't sound good that he was found on the floor with blood on him either. Sometimes birds can pick on other birds they consider weaker, it's a survival of the fittest tactic. I wonder if your smaller birds is sick in any way, and the other birds have picked up on this, hence the bullying has started recently. In any case, if they are picking on him, the stress in itself in enough to make the bird sick.

I would suggest keeping the small one in a cage my himself, somewhere he can still hear and communicate with the other birds. When it is time for them to come out, that is when they will be able to interact, and perhaps they will get on better if they are not all in the same cage. It could be a territorial dispute.

Keep an eye on him, as he sounds very stressed if he is not eating and is really still. Have you checked him for wounds? If he doesn't improve soon, I would recommend a vet visit just to be safe.

In the meantime, to aid with stress, ask your local pet shop or vet for a probiotic to put in the water. This helps restore the natural balance in the bird's stomach during times of stress, and can help prevent stress-related diarrhea. Avipro is a good one.

Keep him warm & quiet, & see if he perks up a little on his own.

Please keep us posted, and I hope your bird is alright.

brdldy123

i would keep them separated but have you thought of getting new cage and another companion after the little guy recovers? i hope everything turns out alright

erica:fay

Speaker of the house (the chatty one) Tailfeather Duddles's Avatar
    Name
    Duddles
    Thanks

My last two budgies, Mudge and Pez, did not get along well enough to live together. Pez pecked at Mudge because Mudge was old and weak. I had to separate them. I noticed the same thing you did - they were very upset that they were not together, and yet they fought when they lived together again. They had playtime together every day, which they enjoyed. They usually got along well together during their playtime. However, when we were not home, they were always in separate cages. It worked well for us. In the meantime, though, since you have two together and one on his own, the lone budgie may be more responsive to your attention. You may be able to develop a very close relationship with him if you take the time and care to do so. It could work out well for all of you!

Linda1164

Budgies Fighting

Thanks for your input, everyone!!

The little one is doing just fine now. He's totally back to normal, thank goodness!! I feel bad now, cuz when I put the cages together, they get frantic!! They are all clamoring to the side of the cage, chirping to each other, and trying to get to each other. The little one, too!! He's trying to bite through the cage bars... I'm almost tempted to put him back in... I don't really know what to do!!??? Maybe it wasn't as serious as I thought??

Speaker of the house (the chatty one) Tailfeather Duddles's Avatar
    Name
    Duddles
    Thanks

Re: Budgies Fighting

I think you should let them have playtime together, as long as you are home. See how that goes for a few weeks before you consider putting them back together. My experience was that my budgies did the same thing - they were just DYING to be together again. Then, once they were locked into the same cage together at night or during the day when we were not home, the fighting always resumed. They really enjoyed their playtime, though. They were together for at least 3-4 hours most days.

Linda1164

Playtime

I would love to let them have playtime together, but their wings are not clipped!! They have never liked coming out of the cage. I tried at first but gave up and their wings have grown back...

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Virgiinia
    Thanks

Re: Playtime

Steve and Patrick have been living compatibly for five years. Two months back, Steve showed up with a bloody head and raggedy tail feathers. Put bacitracin on it, and it healed up. Yesterday when I came home for lunch, Steve's head was bleeding all over the cage. I installed hardware cloth down the middle of the cage to separate the two budgies. They cling on the hardware cloth and can still sing to and kiss each other but they can't fight. Steve's head looks better and he seems to be on the recovery.
    About twenty years back I had a male and female budgie in the same cage and the same thing happened after about a year and a half. I had to give one away.

Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

I don't know what hardware cloth is. Personally, I believe I'd see if I could get another cage and put them each in their own cage. Budgies do need room to fly around, and I'm not sure putting that separation in between them would be helpful. Just my own opinion. You were very lucky that Steve didn't die. Male budgies do tend to spar with each other, but I've never seen them get into a "bloody" fight.