where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Precautions Due To A Certain Recent Event

Name
    angelo
    Thanks

Precautions Due To A Certain Recent Event

I thought this might be of some help due to a recent sad event.

1. Poisoning
    Birds are susceptible to a wide range of toxic substances which can injure or kill birds either by ingestion (eating) or inhalation (breathing them in). One of the most common toxicities in pet birds is insecticides sprayed in the home. Others include ammonia, bleach, oven cleaner, glues, nail polish remover, paint, perfumes, heavy metals (e.g. lead and zinc). Poisonous plants are also a danger.
    2. Non Stick Coatings (when overheated)
    This technically falls under poisoning but warrants a special mention because use of these products is very common. When overheated, the non stick coating emits fumes that are very toxic to birds when inhaled. This coating is found on non stick cookware but also waffle irons, bread machines, irons, ironing board covers, curling irons, space heaters, blow dryers and more.

In closing, in an enclosed small home, all that was stated above are very dangerous to birds. Birds should not be near the kitchen when cooking. I hope that this is taken as a tool for help and not misconstrued as anything else like in a previous thread.

Name
    Mary
    Thanks

Re: Precautions Due To A Certain Recent Event

Angelo - I think this is very good and valuable information! In fact, I think that the "powers that be" (hi mods! ) should consider putting this post as a sticky.
    Mary, Cosmo, Kaylaur, Perry & Tyler, and Spaz (temporary foster). And we can't forget the furry kids Pepper & Chewy!

Name
    angelo
    Thanks

Thanks for your comments. I only tried to help in another thread and got egg on my face. I am well connected in the Avian circle down here and have a lot of professional people who are well known in the states and in South America for their talent as Top Notch Avian vets. I can always tap into these resources and help on this thread. "But no More". Some people can't accept the truth when it's looking at them right in the eye. I', glad that this post maybe of some help to others.
    Best Regards,
    Angelo

First Baby Hatched! parrotsRmyLove's Avatar
    Name
    Sue
    Thanks

Agreed, great info and should be a sticky. I second that mods. Thanks Angelo! Here is a link to some home/cage/toy dangers that I learned a lot about & not patting myself on the back but I thought I was quite knowledgable in this area, goes to show you that even the most experienced bird breeders/parrot owners always have something new they can learn. This is a MUST read. I know many hate to click on links but you will be surprised with the tons of dangers that are out there that shocked me, please, please check this out!! Again thank you Angelo.

http://www.parrotparrot.com/birdhealth/alerts.htm
    Last edited by parrotsRmyLove; 02-16-2008 at 07:24 AM.

Crazy for Conures & Poi's Teenager Stephie's Avatar
    Name
    Stephanie
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by angelo View Post
    I only tried to help in another thread and got egg on my face"But no More". Some people can't accept the truth when it's looking at them right in the eye.

Angelo,

I'm sorry you feel this way - I wasn't stating that what you said was wrong - I was just saying that maybe it was the wrong time to say it to the person you were directing the comments to.

I never said you were wrong in what you were saying, or that I did not value your opinion. And I wasn't so much throwing egg in your face as I was in everyone's face that decided to take this particular time to make certain comments.

I don't know what you're referencing or who you are directing this to when you say some people can't accept the truth when it's looking them in the eye - but what truth am I supposed to be facing?

Parrot chew toy! Maturing... 2cay2's Avatar
    Name
    Linda
    Thanks

That's really good advice Angelo thanks for sharing, and I really hope you will keep sharing! Wow, there's so much on that link Sue, it's sacrey to know how much can harm our fids!
    Linda x

Parrot Species

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Name
    Stephanie
    Thanks

i just spent a good 40 minutes on that site - it's scary to read those stories!!!

The ferretlady Teenager wolfysluv's Avatar
    Name
    Wolfy
    Thanks

What about Radon? I've always wondered about it. I assume if its' so dangerous to humans, it'd be very deadly to birds. Does anyone know if and how it affects birds?

Also what about carbon monoxide? Where can that possibly come from in a home and how much is dangerous to birds? I mean would a normal CO2 alarm be sensitive enough to go off when its at a bad level for birds, or just for humans?

Name
    angelo
    Thanks

Hello Sue. That is another great thread that everyone should read. You can't believe how many dangers there are in your home without knowing the facts. This should be mandatory reading for all new and existing bird owners. Lots of pet birds are lost each year this way which could have been prevented with just a little education on the owners part. Once again great thread. Stephanie, the truth is on the other parties part. Lets all move forward now and respect everyone on this site. We are all here because we have one thing in common. We love and care for birds !!! That makes all of us special people.

Name
    Stephanie
    Thanks

Angelo, I have always respected people on this site...I was just trying to clarify who you were addressing. What I'm trying to say is, if you disagree with something I said, tell me flat out. It seems like you are upset by what I said, and instead of telling me what I said felt like I was slapping you in the face you are being passive aggressive by making generic statements like "I only tried to help in another thread and got egg on my face".

I don't want to start a fight, but I do want you to know that I respect what you had to say - and what you said in this thread however I had every right to share my opinion in the Keiko progress thread.

I care about everyone on this site - I have learned so much from the people here. I know we're all here for the birds, but we can't forget the human's that belong to the birds.

With that being said I still meant it when I said that now is not to time to analyze Meredith's situation. We all know everyone had the best of intentions, but her feelings were still raw, and she was interpreting what everyone was saying as attacking. No one was in the wrong - Meredith has a right to feel her emotions, even if what she was feeling wasn't anyone's intention.

Bottom line is I have a great amount of respect for the people on this board - which is why I voiced my opinion instead of leaving.

return to real life Tailfeather
    Thanks

Excellent Post Angelo, there are so many things that we need to be aware of that we as humans can't detect.

Bella's Personal Maid Moulting elfhome's Avatar
    Name
    Katie
    Thanks

Here's a few problems that can muddy the waters a bit.
    1. Birds are more sensitive than humans BUT consider that we are still continuously finding things harmful to humans that have previously gone undetected.
    2. Normally harmless chemicals/substances can become harmful under specific circumstances or if they mix together.
    3. Side effects may seem normal, so you don't even know you're suffering. for example, it took years to figure out that my family was being slowly poisoned by CO2. The effects were so gradual no one could figure it out.
    4. It can be hard to find a problem when the toxin was not a cause of damage but a contributer. Let's say that a substance leeches calcium from your bones. Not enough to be noticed, it just increases the risk of a bad break. You break your leg falling down icy stairs, which happens to people all the time, so the problem goes undetected.
    5. Take two people who are the same size, weight, and equally healthy. They could be twins, and have almost exactly the same lifestyle. They might still show totally different reactions to the same substance.

Hatching
    Thanks

I don't know if you can fairly or appropriately associate this "certain recent event" with bird poisoning. That's pretty much slapping the woman who lost her bird in the face. Yes, it's important that we all know this information. But to blatantly connect this with the death of Keiko is basically blaming his owner for his death. We don't even know what really happened to Keiko! And I don't think Meredith is lying when she said her vet had attributed the death to a blood clot. All I'm saying is that the title of this thread is very presumptuous. I know we are all concerned and disturbed by what happened, but a certain degree of sensitivity is in order! A more appropriate title would be something like "Important Poisoning Precautions"...not "Precautions due to a recent event".

Name
    angelo
    Thanks

You don't have to read it !!!!!!!!!

Hatching
    Thanks

Angelo, WHY are you so uppity today?? You know what, you don't have to read my post either, but I'm not going to get nasty about it! I think this is an important thread with an inappropriate title that is accusative and possibly hurtful for someone who has just lost her bird to circumstances WE AREN'T EVEN SURE ABOUT. Think about how devastated YOU would be if you lost one of your *gorgeous* birds and a thread came out suggesting you were responsible.
    I'm really not going to start a fight here, there's enough of that going on and I don't have problems with anyone here, but I have to maintain that it is not very nice to link Keiko's death to poisoning when that apparently isn't even the cause. I think that has to be said.

Remove Ads