Thread: Does your tiel get grumpy?

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Jacqueline
    Thanks

Unhappy Does your tiel get grumpy?

Hi all,

Sorry for the long post.

Zazu is now almost fully recovered from psittacosis, and then a yeast infection, so finally I have had time to read and enjoy all the posts on tailfeathers and learn from everyone here.

I work full time and am away from home most of the day, so I try to spend half an hour with Zazu in the morning having a cuddle and a scratch, and then as long as he will let me at night before he gets tired.

This week he has been really grumpy and I am trying not to take it personally

This week, as soon as i get him out of his cage, he flies to my bedroom and sits next to my mirror. Why isnt my company enough for him on certain days - what is so special about the mirror? He then makes a sound which is similar to an alarm - normally he does this sometimes when he is trying to get me attention also but i try to ignore it so as to not encourage it. He is even getting really angry at me for coming to get him.

He is friendly and tame, talks and everything, but has never been the kind of bird who is excited to see me or flies to me to be with me like your tiels do.

Zazu is my best friend but i have been reading some of these posts and it seems that he is a lot moodier and less attached to me as many of your tiels and i was just hoping that the reason for this is just that birds can be moody sometimes too, and not because i work full time.

Any thoughts?

Jacqueline

Hatching
    Name
    Jake
    Thanks

Re: Does your tiel get grumpy?

they think their reflection in the mirror is another bird and they want to hang out with this bird

Name
    Bonnie
    Thanks

It's really hard to say, honestly. I think my tiels became so attached because i was home with them all day, every day so they weren't frequently caged except to sleep (uncaged a good 10+ hours a day). But, i also don't see that as an entirely good thing. They've become attached to the point of ridiculous. I think sometimes, they forget they're birds

As for mirrors, that's rather common. You'll even hear many people tell you not to give them mirrors because they can become territorial over them because they can bond with a mirror as if it's another bird. Not sure how much truth is in that, but i've never given mine mirrors... just in case

The moody part... definitely. Even my overly-attached tiels get quite moody. When they are going through a heavy moult, they're very grumpy. My older tiel (he's about a yr and a half old) is the most tempermental little thing! Even when you scritch him, he wants it done just so My younger one gets cranky when you don't let him do whatever he wants. We had to clip his wings for this reason, he would have had himself in all kinds of trouble and we couldn't get him to stay away from "dangerous" things because he'd fly off again when we'd remove him.

Bottom line, i think birds are just have their own personalities that dictate a lot of their behavior. I do think their environment influences them as well though. One thing that has helped curb the moodiness is more frequently bathing, ensuring 10-12 hours of good sleep every night for them, and a constant change out of toys so they're never bored

Good luck to you and Zazu

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

In one of the Cockatiel books I have I recall reading if your bird starts acting differently and you have not changed your routine at all this could be explained by him beginning a molt. Is the birdy molting?

My white cockatiel (male) gets very cuddly when he goes through his molting process.

Name
    Enid
    Thanks

That was what I was going to suggest, the moody molt. Molting is stressful and they can become moody during a molt. Kita's molting now and he's being a snot to Gosha too...
    Gosha & Kita