where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Information Please

Name
    Peter
    Thanks

Information Please

Can anybody out there tell me what their thoghts are on the product below,I am thinking about getting some,but advice first I think.....

http://www.everythingforpets.com/ore...d.7591.dept.0/

Name
    Kate
    Thanks

Re: Information Please

I've never heard of it, but I personally feel that feeding the right foods to your fids will eliminate any need to add drops to their water.

Phoebe White Capped Pionus Luna PF Lovebird Indra PF Lovebird

Name
    Peter
    Thanks

The reason I'm considering this is because of weeks of trying to get him to eat fruit or veg he just dosn't want to know about it.

I've tried covering with seed,millet and then all he does is pick the seed off and leave the rest........

Name
    Kate
    Thanks

It can be frustrating, but it can take months before they even try it. Try offering it in different ways. For example, cooked/uncooked, cube cut/shaved, put them in a dish/hang them/mount them. Also, have you tried offering pellets?

Phoebe White Capped Pionus Luna PF Lovebird Indra PF Lovebird

Name
    Peter
    Thanks

Is this the sort of pellets you refer to?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NEW-VERM-X-PEL...QQcmdZViewItem

Think before typing Tailfeather
    Thanks

I agree - that product is most likely un-needed, and may cause him to avoid hi water. Patience is key to getting them o try new things, and trying them different ways can make all of the difference in the world.

Name
    Kerry
    Thanks

It sounds like it is a probiotic. Yogurt is a probiotic providing good bacteria for your gut.

I put Health Guard in my birds water source which is a probiotic as well. However, this is only offered in the U.S. right now.

Loki - love in bird form Four More Babies Hatched! peachee's Avatar
    Name
    Lisa
    Thanks

What is the product exactly? Is it a nutritional supplement or a probiotic? The reason this is important is because a nutritional supplement can cause toxicities if too much is consumed; the safety margin can be small. Probiotics occur naturally in the gut so you don't get an overdose the way you can with a vit.min supplement.

I am not a fan of anything that is put in water. It promotes bacteria growth, can turn a bird away from drinking their water and there is no way to actually monitor how much is being consumed. I don't think it is worth it.

What does your bird currently eat? If your budgie gets to come out and exercise and play throughout the day and doesn't live a sedentary life, a seed diet should not cause health problems that you see in perch-potatoes. Although it is ideal to have them eat fruits and veggies, a totally pelleted diet with budgies can cause liver problems which you don't want.

My two budgies eat mostly seed. They get a brown rice, peas, corn and pellet mix once a day. It is all cooked and warm and when this is offered, their seed is removed entirely from their cage. They eat that or nothing at all. They won't starve in the few hours the seeds are gone if they choose not to eat it.

Try clipping a small head of broccoli on the side of the cage near the food dish. Most budgies really like playing with the floret part.

See videos of Loki and the boys here!

Name
    Kerry
    Thanks

What are probiotics?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Probiotic

What do they do?
    http://www.healingdaily.com/detoxifi...probiotics.htm

Probiotics can be tasteless, it all depends upon how the manufacturer "packages" the product. I have never seen the product that is in exact question.

As all good bird keepers know you change your bird's water daily. If you don't even clear water will get gunkie over time and make your bird sick. Adding, in my case, a little over a teaspoon of Health Guard to a gallon of water is hardly over doing. However, should one wish, you can drink it straight from the bottle with no ill effect - and many breeders/bird keepers in my area do just that.

Probiotics are not to replace a trip to the vet when your bird is really sick. However, if a bird is slightly off if given they add more good microbs to the gut. If they are kept on a regiment of probiotis will shorten the recovery time of a sick bird.

Probiotics should be used after a round of antibiotics because antibiotics kill the good gut flora as well as the bad. Good gut flora is used in digestion.

A good diet for your birds with fresh fruits, veggies, pellets and seed does not combat bacteria and viruses that are everywhere in the environment. If a good diet alone worked we would have no need for most drugs.

Probiotics have been used in the horse world for a while and they are now starting to use them racing dog. I even see commercials on TV for probiotics for human consumption.

Name
    Katherine
    Thanks

I would be weary of anything like that. Also using supplements in bird's water can cause bacterial growth causing even more problems.

ULII & CALISTO

Name
    Budgielicious
    Thanks

I agree with Swainson. I am leery of using products that are added to water. I would feel more comfortable using powdered vitamins within the food and such.
    Owned by an Umbrella Cockatoo; 16 American Budgerigars; 10 English Budgerigars; 3 American-English Budgerigar crosses; 13 Cockatiels & 2 Canaries
    (Godmother of budgie (Pixel) and a cockatiel (Irwin)that are staying with me!)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Hatching
    Name
    juliet
    Thanks

i have to agree with all above, i only have used water souluble vitamins and probiotics with sick birds that have been on antbiotics, but also offered clear water to incase they dont drink, now most of my use of this type thing has been with chickens, but rally a good diet and exersise is best, my budgies will only eat seed , broccoli and the chix i teach to eat mixed frozen veggies [steamed ans mashed, if mashed even my picky adults will sample alittle, i do sprinkle a few oat groats on top, they love those, good luck and keep trying,
    juliet
    im owned by merlin,[bird protecting cattle dog],2 budgies[beaker and punkinhead],25 silky chickens and 9very funny looking mixed breed bantam chix.

Name
    Kerry
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Swainson View Post
    I would be weary of anything like that. Also using supplements in bird's water can cause bacterial growth causing even more problems.
    Oh I am VERY careful and understand what I am providing my birds. I don't mess around when it come to $1,000/each exhibition birds. I work way too hard for my money and work way too hard on my exhibiton teams.

Think before typing Tailfeather
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kerry C View Post
    Oh I am VERY careful and understand what I am providing my birds. I don't mess around when it come to $1,000/each exhibition birds. I work way too hard for my money and work way too hard on my exhibiton teams.
    Aside from the fact it is an animal's life....

Name
    Kerry
    Thanks

Obviously from your comments Sarah you have never built and maintained a stud of any kind be it horses, cattle, birds, etc. It is not something that is achieved over night nor is it something achieve by being reckless or uncaring. The welfare of the animals' health and care IS primary - feed, vet care and supplements.

Bringing the focus back to the topic that was asked by Peter had anyone heard of Orego-Stim product. Not that one specifically, but it looks to be a probiotic. If you are fearful and have not done your research then donít give your birds probiotics. My birds are on a small amount of them using Health Guard. I have researched it and talked to many avian vets about it. All the info I have gathered has been positive. I have had positive response in my birds for the last 2 going on 3 years.
    I'm glad research medicine and product wise continues forward so that caring owners have more tools to keep their animals healthy.