Tailfeathers
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Mustangin' Brand New Egg
    Name
    Mike
    Thanks

re: constantly opening and closing of beak

My advice to your neighbors would be to take the bird to an avian vet. Could be a wierd behavior, but could be an oral/esophageal irritation or an overgrown beak. Maybe give them the number for your bird's vet.

Fly my little pretties, FLY! Egg's Cracking... ladybluewings01's Avatar
    Name
    Helena
    Thanks

constantly opening and closing of beak

My neighbors across the street (cutest old couple) have a little blue budgie named...blue! well...blue opens and closes his beak constantly...all day. its more than a content clicking of the beak. They were asking me what it means and I couldnt answer them so im asking here. What does that mean? is it some kind of deficiency? hes clicking his beak like he cant help not to. any input would be great. thanks!

Where The Birds Always Sing Tailfeather Birdmad Girl's Avatar
    Name
    Lee-Anne
    Thanks

re: beak

Hiya.

That sounds like it could be something respiratory related that I think I have seen before.

I once worked at a Petsmart store, and remember seeing a few budgies with similar symptoms. They were usually the larger budgies, like the 'show bird' bred budgies. They would pant, their beaks were constantly opening and closing, and there was clicking sound. I don't think the clicking came from the beak rubbing together, it sounded more like it was coming from the throat. It was worse when the birds were hot or stressed, or if they have tried to fly or do a lot if they were unfit. My own bird has done this occasionally when she has been over-excercised, hot and bothered. These birds all had respirtatory infections, such as pneumonia.

Is the bird unfit? Does it come out to fly a lot? What worries me is that you say it is constant. If this is so I would get the bird to a vet immediately. Have a look at the bird and see if you think it appears to be panting. Also, is there constant tail-bobbing? Sounds like it could be a respiratory infection if so, although it is difficult to guess what kind.

Is the bird in a constantly smokey atmosphere?

I hope your neighbours can get him to an avian vet soon. Best of luck with it, and keep us posted.

Lee-Anne.

Horse lover and Bird FreaK Egg's Cracking...
    Name
    Shaina
    Thanks

re: beak

The beak grinding thing means he is happy and content, not that he is sick. And for the opening of the beak, Is this after he eats because if it is he is probably just trying to get unchoaked, and it also means he is yawning. Ask them if he sleeps a lot. If he does that is not healthy at ALLL. They may need to take him to an avian vet, but that is quiet expensive because it is extremely hard to tell the birds health.

Name
    Lee-Anne
    Thanks

beak grinding

Hi lovebudgiestoomuch!

I love that name!

I understand all avout beak grinding. I love watching my birds do that, as I know they are content and happy.

What was being described sounded a little more than that. I would imagine beak grinding to be described as scraping the beak from side to side emitting a grinding sound, and something that is done occasionally throughout the day. But 'constantly opening and closing the beak' accompanied by a 'clicking' really does sound like symptoms I have seen associated with respiratory distress.

I have seen on a few occassions a panting bird, opening and closing it's beak. When it is particularly stressed, I have heard 'clicking' noises that sound like they were coming from the throat.

It may not be anything like this of course, but I am just going by what it sounds like.

I really hope it is just a happy content beak grinding bird!

It would really help if we had more of a description of what the budgie is doing, so we can hopefully help more.

All the best

Lee-Anne.

Speaker of the house (the chatty one) Tailfeather Duddles's Avatar
    Name
    Duddles
    Thanks

Re: beak grinding

ladybluewings01 - if the bird really is opening and closing the beak and making a clicking noise, then he has a respiratory illness, and needs to get to an avian vet ASAP. Repiratory illnesses can kill birds fairly quickly, and I have NEVER heard of these infections just going away without treatment. On the other hand, if it really is just the beak-grinding noise, then that's nothing to worry about. Beak-grinding doesn't really involve opening and closing of the beak, though, so I would bet that it's an infection. Please let us know what happens.

Name
    Helena
    Thanks

Re: beak grinding

I checked out thier bird earlier today and he has indeed upgraded to panting. They are asleep right now....but early tomorrow morning I am prininting up this topic and taking it over there and telling them to take blue to the vet. I thought maybe it was some kind of deficiency but it seems that the general opinion is some kind of respitory problem and this makes sense.

Name
    Lee-Anne
    Thanks

good luck

Hi Ladybluewings01.

Good luck with that. I really hope Blue will be okay. Let us know what happens.

Lee-Anne.

Name
    Lee-Anne
    Thanks

How is he?

Just wondering how Blue is doing?

Any news?

Name
    Helena
    Thanks

Re: How is he?

yeah. soorry.

the vet said.......the bird has asthma! so now they just give the bird some medicine in the mornings. I didnt know birds could get asthma! Blue is just fine now. I was really worried about Blue. Noone but me comes to visit them anymore ...theyre just really cute, lonely old people. im glad theyll have thier companion for a while yet!

Name
    Lee-Anne
    Thanks

Thanks for the update, I was worried about Blue too!

I didn't know birds could get asthma either! That's interesting. Well done for all the help you have given to the elderly couple and Blue!

Name
    Helena
    Thanks

yeah ...blue isnt weezing anymore and he is being very active and being much friendllier. I take my 3 birds (2 tiels and a budgie) over to visit him and they all get along. the vet also said he was a little overwieght and so they put him on a diet. lol...poor bird. thanks for your help everyone.

Speaker of the house (the chatty one) Tailfeather Duddles's Avatar
    Name
    Duddles
    Thanks

Thanks for the update, ladyblue.

the bird has asthma! so now they just give the bird some medicine in the mornings.
    Just out of curiosity, do they administer the meds orally, or in the water? And does he have to be on it permanently, or just some of the time?

Name
    Helena
    Thanks

umm..I dont know....they just said they give him meds in the morning so I would gather orally. I dont think a vet would prescrive a medication to be given in the morning and then tell them to put it in the water, but I dont know.