Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: getting a feathered friend again

Name
    Ashley
    Thanks

getting a feathered friend again

Well, its been over a year since I lost Jester. He was my white bellied caique, who passed away way too soon. We all miss him terribly. I told myself I would never get another feathered friend, as his death was totally preventable and I will never forgive myself. I got rid of everything.. his cage, toys, food etc., But here I am, finding myself missing my feathered companion to this day. My kids have been talking a lot about Jester and my husband and I are considering getting another parrot again. I'm afraid I will feel like Im replacing him. Maybe if I don't get a caique it would feel differently. I've mentioned getting a calmer species to my husband but he likes how our caique was playful, and would readily go to different people, he made a good " family" bird. After having one, some of the things that I wished differently about them was that he would stay put sometimes. If you have one, you know they never "stay put" No use having play stands... also, he was quite vocal. It wasn't so bad I wanted to give him away, but now that we are thinking of getting another, I am also open to other species. Anyhow, anyone want to tell me about their kind of feathered friend? We are a busy household. My husband and I have four kids ages 12 and under. We have 2 dogs (a cocker and a mini pin) and three cats. Ive thought about getting a Timneh grey, but I'm afraid they will be stressed in my house hold, and we need a bird that wont mind different people handling them. As of right now I'm thinking *IF* we get another bird, it will be another caique. But, Im open to other suggestions too. I dont get online too much, so please forgive me if I dont get back to check/answer responses right away.. TIA for all responses Ashley

Caique Crazy! Tailfeather BareFootAviary's Avatar
    Name
    Briana
    Thanks

Re: getting a feathered friend again

Welcome to TF Ashley! [Edit: Nevermind, it was the wrong name...man, I have been making a butt of myself lately..]

I have 2 Caiques and I think once you go Caique, it is really hard to go back.

I'm sorry to hear about Jester.
    Last edited by BareFootAviary; 02-28-2008 at 02:33 PM.
    "I'd rather be the one in love than to be loved and never even known."

Signature made by Emery!
    My Aviary's Website
    Current Parrot Jewelry in stock!

Name
    Ashley
    Thanks

No, he was a very healthy bird. He died from careless mistake on my part : It still pains me to talk about it though

Quote Originally Posted by BareFootAviary View Post
    Welcome to TF Ashley! I have to ask- did Jester die of Polyoma? I have to ask because I just read today about a Caique named Jester and his story about Polyoma.

I have 2 Caiques and I think once you go Caique, it is really hard to go back.

R.I.P. My Zuben Fledgeling LovelyNickie's Avatar
    Name
    Nicole
    Thanks

Welcome Ashley! I am so sorry about Jester! I have lost a Parrotlet myself due to my own mistake as well. And I know what you mean by not wanting to "replace" your baby. RIP zuben. I felt so bad for so long but then I found Ranjan. HE is a totally different personality than Zuben was and I love him as much so. No other bird could possibly replace our loved ones that have crossed the rainbow bridge. But it is hard to not have a clown in your life to bring you more laughs and memories. Ranjan has taught us that. (he is a parrotlet if you didn't know, lol) Well I wish you well on searching for your next addition and am glad that you have joined us here on this great forum
    RIP my sweet Zuben 11/19/07

Caique Crazy! Tailfeather BareFootAviary's Avatar
    Name
    Briana
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AshleyKayC1980 View Post
    No, he was a very healthy bird. He died from careless mistake on my part : It still pains me to talk about it though
    Sorry Ashley, I had to edit my post because I went back to he site I had seen and I realized it was the wrong name anyway. I am completely scatterbrained today! I am very sorry to hear about him.

Is there another species you were thinking about (though I know you said your husband wants another Caique)?
    "I'd rather be the one in love than to be loved and never even known."

Signature made by Emery!
    My Aviary's Website
    Current Parrot Jewelry in stock!

Name
    Mell
    Thanks

I am so sorry about Jester. Maybe a black headed caique would work, they look a little different but still have the caique quirks. Or maybe a lorikeet? They are known for being very playful also.

Name
    Ashley
    Thanks

Thanks everyone. This forum seems really ..... great Not sure what words Im looking for. Im also considering a Timneh grey. Totally different personality , but I really like what I read about them as well. One of my good friends have a CAG, which I like, altho I have never been able to pet him He only lets one person touch him. She bought him already full grown from a petstore. I have read the Timnehs are a bit more social, and not as nervous, as well as smaller, which I like. I think the only reason Im not leaning towards one of them is because I dont want my house to be too hectic for this species. I am hoping that if I decide on one of these guys, that if I get one as a baby, and with everyone handleing him everyday, and him being in our house from a young age maybe it wouldnt be too stressful on a Timneh. Our house isant what I would call extremely hectic, but we are busy... we have four kids, and their friends come over sometimes.. Our house is pretty large though, so there is a lot of room where his cage can go and be out of the traffic area. There is a birdfiar here in April.. My husband and I plan on going to it. Im hoping this will help me decide as well.

Name
    Sarah
    Thanks

I'm very sorry about the loss of your bird. I don't know enough to give you a suggestion, but I do wish you luck as you decide.
    The one kind of bird I've considered if I ever get a "bigger" bird than a cockatiel is a Pionus. They are supposed to be somewhat quieter than other parrots, or so I've read.

Moderator Tailfeather Community Moderator notredamebird's Avatar
    Name
    Danielle
    Thanks

Hi Ashley! I am really sorry to hear about Jester. I also once lost a bird to whom I was very close, to a mistake of my own. I know how awful it feels.

The bird I lost was Sam, a cockatiel, and I felt the same way. I really wanted another bird, but I couldn't handle getting a bird similar to Sam right away. So I got a sun conure (completely different personalities) and a couple of untamed cockatiels from a rescue. I felt concerned that if I didn't intensionally get a bird that wasn't Sam, I'd somehow be going to the store or rescue to find "my Sam."

As to what type of bird to get, it may be that another caique would be best, since you already like them. If you would be creeped out to have a bird just like Jester, maybe you could get a different coloration of caique? (If Jester was a black-headed, maybe get the lighter one?).

About Timnehs...My bird, Tolkien, is a TAG. So I can share my personal experience with you.

Basically a TAG is going to be a less energetic and a lot more "careful" than a caique. I get the idea that caiques charge over to knew things and just PLAY, and after that they bounce from one thing to the next to the next. African grays are a lot more sedate. They will just sit with you, or watch you...and they don't charge over to things, they sort of "tottle" or "walk" in this slightly awkward way. They are very interactive, but with a lot less energy. And they are very affectionate, but in a quieter way.

As to tolerating multiple people, I always heard that grays were scared of all new things, sudden movements, noise, etc. And that they were sure to bite new people and rip every last feather out the first time someone changed their routine. But Tolkien surprised me by proving very friendly and flexible. She is careful about new people, but she steps right onto their hands. She genuinely loves both my husband and I. With VERY close supervision, she has played with my friend's four-year-old. She forgives "evil" things we do to her (like forcing her to take a shower) very quickly. And while she can bite, so almost always just gives warning nips.

I think she would adapt well to most or all household members and friends, provided that they didn't charge over and do things to scare her. By contrast, my "gregarious" conure is fixated only on me, lunges when he spots new people, and generally "stresses out" much easier.

This does not mean that Tolkien is free from the "neurotic" tendencies people report in grays. She is TERRIFIED of some objects, especially if it moves. For example, she despises our automated "Roomba" vacuum cleaner and freaks out if I pick up an unfamiliar item too close to her. I have opened the pantry door with her on my shoulder, only to discover too late that there is "scary" item in there that requires her to launch off my shoulder in the other direction. She is scared of many toys, especially large ones. The only times she has really bitten to hurt were times when a scary object is left her near cage. For example, after a bad experience in the pet store (we think it might have been because a lady grabbed her there, but who knows), she bit nearly everyone there, yet once she was no longer in the store she stopped biting and became friendly...the same day.

Basically, I love our TAG. Her energy levels and personality really mesh with my own, and her fears are very understandable--like me, she just doesn't like things she doesn't understand. I think she'd get along most places where people genuinely wanted to be her friend and had enough sense not to scare her.
    Last edited by notredamebird; 03-01-2008 at 11:20 AM.

Name
    Ashley
    Thanks

THanks guys! Just wanted to let ya'll know I found a breeder within driving distance, and one of her birds just had eggs..so I put a deposit down on one! So, come early August I will have a TAG baby I have a lot of mixed emotions...and quite excited and happy, but also nervous. August seems sooo far away! I can't wait.