Tailfeathers
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Name
    adrian
    Thanks

Maybe he just bashed it and the swelling might go down in a few days (Like when we get black eye )

Perhaps it would be best to take him to vet, buy a suitable bird transport cage there cheap around 10 pound and put favourtie toys

I hope he/she is alright soon

timmyandtiny

my bird's eye looks swollen

Hello
    My budgie is over 10 years old. A couple days ago I noticed that his eye looks a little swollen or irritated and the feathers around it are a little messed up. His other eye looks completely normal. I also noticed that he stood on his feeder and rubbed his head and that eye over it. I don't know if he was scratching it or what. There is no vet in my area. And definitely not a avian vet. It is a long travel but I would take him there if something was seriously wrong. I'm also afraid that the cold or the different environment and the drive would bother him. WHAT SHOULD I DO??? thank you..

very worried,

Speaker of the house (the chatty one) Tailfeather Duddles's Avatar
    Name
    Duddles
    Thanks

Re: ...

I think that your bird definitely needs to see a vet. I know you say there are no avian vets in your area, but it's possible that there are some hidden away. Here are some links to help you find one:

www.aav.org/vet-lookup/
    www.aav.org/activemembers.html

If you can't find one, go to a regular vet. Avian vets are also often willing to consult with regular vets, so if your vet determines that there is some infection, then the avian vet could suggest an antibiotic and dosage.

At least give them a call and describe what is going on. If the eye look sswollen, then that sounds like bad news to me. How is your bird doing now? Is there any discharge, or staining of the feathers around the eye?

one by one the birds take my sanity!! Chick
    Name
    Christa
    Thanks

Re: ...

I'm not trying to scare you but it could be because of an absess or tumor that is putting pressure on the eye and area around the eye. Also if he fell or has hit his head it could be blood swelling causing the eye to appear swollen. I seen this on emergency vets a show on animal planet channel.

It was in a larger bird a Macaw I think and he had been hit in the head by a door causing his one eye to bulge out all buggy like and to cause him great pain. Birds are good at hiding pain its what they do. So though he may seem pretty normal he could be seriously hurt.

It also could just be an infection like I said I'm not trying to scare you. Try taking him to a vet like duddles said if its nothing then great and if its something then you might catch it in time to fix it. You could also try calling an avian vet and see what they say it could be.. but please dont just call because you want to save money call just to find out thier opinions...and do take him to the vets

please keep us posted

Christa

timmyandtiny

me again

his eye ball itself looks fine but below his eye.. there is no discharge or discolored feathers... the skin below his eye just looks puffy and has no feathers on it. 1mm below (milimeter).

hope it goes away soon.
    thank you everybody!!

Speaker of the house (the chatty one) Tailfeather Duddles's Avatar
    Name
    Duddles
    Thanks

Re: me again

Please don't wait for it to go away on its own. Take your bird to a vet.