Tailfeathers
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Mustangin' Brand New Egg
    Name
    Mike
    Thanks

re: Deformed Nostrils

I've never heard of anything like that, but I'd guess that it's either genetic or maybe an accident from jousting with some of the other budgies he's come in contact with. I've never heard of disease or illness causing a change in the nostril in the cere. In either case, a new bird should get a full check-up by an avian vet (somebody here has the url for a site that lets you find Association of Avian Vets members -- check through the boards and links here.) You should be able to have many of your concerns answered there.

sgosh

Re: Deformed Nostrils

I don't know a thing about enlarged nostrils, unfortunately. But if your budgie seems alert and healthy, it could have been a birth defect that isn't a threat to his health; it may look funny, but it may not be affecting him.

I have a horse (Angus) who is missing one eye, and has half his head crushed (long, but cute story, how I ended up with him). He looks like a mess, but he's an amazingly intelligent, happy, great guy - he's one of my best friends! So don't let your bird's looks discourage you.

I think what you must do though is to take your bird to an avian vet and seek a professional opinion. The condition could actually be dangerous for the bird, and the sooner seek advise / help, the better.

Regards,

Brooke

thnks

THank you again for replying. The pet store is taking him to the vet for me, but that won't be until monday. I didn't want this bird in my house over the weekend, making my other birds sick. They are all curious about him, and it's hard to keep them out of his quarantine room. He is a very sweet budgie, I am hoping it's just a deformity. He is yellow on top and green on the bottom, looks a lot like sorbet. I'm glad to hear this isn't some sort of parasite. THe only parasite I could find information on usually makes lesions on the bird's face. and that is not what this bird has. THanks/
    Brooke

Brooke

Deformed Nostrils

I aquired a budgie last night, and when I got it home I noticed that it has a deformed nostril. The right one is normal sized, but the left is triple sized and not perfectly shaped. There is no running or crusting around it, and the budgie otherwise seems in perfect health. His feathers are nice, his eyes are clear and bright, his poops are a little runny but probably just the stress of moving. Does anyone have any clues what this might be? I am really concerned that I have bought a sick bird. Thank you in advance for your input.

Brooke

one by one the birds take my sanity!! Chick
    Name
    Christa
    Thanks

Re: thnks

The day I bought Bird'O I was also eyeing up another little blue budgie who was so sweet. I was holding him/her in my hand when I noticed that it had what looked like 3 nostrils. I asked the girl working on the floor at the time what was up and she said he/she was a timid budgie and that another budgie had bite its face and poked a hole there making it look like another nostril. poor little bird.

I never bought that budgie - I didnt want to start out with health problems since I havent owned a bird in over 6 yrs.

I was at the store just last week and that little budgie was still there (so hard not to bring it home) and his nose has healed but now its turned into one large nostril and one smaller normal one like you described. The girl there said he's doing great but they had been reluctant to sell him/her till the nose was healed and healthy. Maybe this is all thats wrong with your little one? I'm sure the vet will give you a clean bill of health- good luck with your new little budgie

Christa

Pray for Skyer. Teenager -Robin-'s Avatar
    Name
    Melanie/Fallon
    Thanks

Re: thnks

sgosh said good adive, i know females do that when they want to breed, only sometimes. But never males....can males wnt to breed? I have had a friend who had a budgie like that, she took it to the vet and it was perfectly healthy because she was a female and she wanted to breed, but a male....