Tailfeathers
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Brand New Egg
    Name
    louise
    Thanks

lovebird egg problem will it survive please help asap.

Hi there i have a pair of lovebirds that layed 3 eggs over 3 weeks ago now i would say and a few days ago they cracked 2 eggs one had red blood inside and the other seemed like yolk. i dont know why they did it and they have abondoned the 3rd egg so i took it out and put it in a bowl with a lamp and some material around the egg just to see if it will hatch as i dont have an incubator at the moment one is on the way, i wanted to know does this egg stand any chance of surviving now egg seemed cold sometimes and sometimes warm, i can see a big dark black patch inside does this mean its fertile should i continue what im doing and hope for the best or do you think it would of hatched by now if it was alive still is there any way i can open the egg up now and it could still live that way by hand feeding it immeditely or does the egg need to be left alone still just wondering if im wasting my time doing this everyday would be so greatful if you can reply back asap as i really would love this baby to hatch this is my first time with somethink like this many thanks Louise.

Caique Crazy! Tailfeather BareFootAviary's Avatar
    Name
    Briana
    Thanks

Re: lovebird egg problem will it survive please help asap.

Eggs not only need heat, they need humidity. They also need a cool down period just before hatching, so using a lamp will probably not hatch it, though there is a chance. The real question is, ar you going to be able to feed this baby if it hatches? That would mean that for the first 2 weeks, you will need to feed it every 45 min. to an hour, all through the night. If the parents abandoned the eggs, they will not take care of a chick.

If the egg was laid over three weeks ago and there is no "peaking" on this egg, it is not going to hatch. It takes 21-22 days for a Lovebird egg to hatch. You cannot crack it open yourself, that would be killing the baby if it is alive unless it is trying to come out and cannot make it, which would be assisted hatching and it takes more than just cracking open the egg.

How old are the parent birds?
    "I'd rather be the one in love than to be loved and never even known."

Signature made by Emery!
    My Aviary's Website
    Current Parrot Jewelry in stock!

Brand New Egg
    Name
    louise
    Thanks

hi thanks for the message back i would say its been 3 weeks or so now since the egg was layed the parents i think are about 2 years old ive had them a couple of months now im prepared to handfeed this baby lovebird if it does hatch i thought it was every 2 hours that you feed them or was that wonrg advice i was given? do you think this egg will hatch or am i wasting time by doing what im doing the birds are lutino peachfaced lovebirds.
    all i can see is the egg is 3 quarters dark inside does that mean its fertile and what should i do now with this egg? many thanks louise

Brand New Egg
    Name
    louise
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BareFootAviary View Post
    Eggs not only need heat, they need humidity. They also need a cool down period just before hatching, so using a lamp will probably not hatch it, though there is a chance. The real question is, ar you going to be able to feed this baby if it hatches? That would mean that for the first 2 weeks, you will need to feed it every 45 min. to an hour, all through the night. If the parents abandoned the eggs, they will not take care of a chick.

If the egg was laid over three weeks ago and there is no "peaking" on this egg, it is not going to hatch. It takes 21-22 days for a Lovebird egg to hatch. You cannot crack it open yourself, that would be killing the baby if it is alive unless it is trying to come out and cannot make it, which would be assisted hatching and it takes more than just cracking open the egg.

How old are the parent birds?
    Hi when you said is there no peaking in this egg what exactly do you mean, do you mean is there any clight cracks?

Name
    Briana
    Thanks

Yes, "peaking" is when the baby starts pushing the shell from the inside so the shell has a "peak" on it. Yep, newly hatched chicks need to be fed every 45 min. to 1 hour, all through the night. I would wait another week and then throw the egg away. Normally if it is going to hatch, the whole egg would be dark because the baby takes up all of the room when it is fully formed.

Signature made by Emery!
    My Aviary's Website

Brand New Egg
    Name
    louise
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BareFootAviary View Post
    Yes, "peaking" is when the baby starts pushing the shell from the inside so the shell has a "peak" on it. Yep, newly hatched chicks need to be fed every 45 min. to 1 hour, all through the night. I would wait another week and then throw the egg away. Normally if it is going to hatch, the whole egg would be dark because the baby takes up all of the room when it is fully formed.
    hi thankyou kindly for the replys so do you honestly think this will survive should i just keep it in what i have put it in already and add some water inside the bowl like i said all i can see is a dark area that shows quite clearly 3 quarters over the egg. you know the peek hole when you say peek hole do you mean a tiny hole that you can see into the egg or a little crack on the shell as there is a circle crack on the egg but from the outside it looks like to me as i cant see in the egg. many thanks louise.

Name
    Briana
    Thanks

Eggs can absorb water through the shell, so putting water in the bowl that the egg is in can drown the baby if it is still alive.

I don't know what you mean by "peek hole." When the baby starts to hatch, it will push the egg from the inside creating a "peak" in the shell. It will look like an extremely tiny mountain on the surface of the shell. That is where the baby is using its egg tooth to break through.

I referred to the "whole" inside of the egg being dark- I mean the entire inside of the egg will be dark if he baby is going to hatch out.

Honestly, I have no idea if the baby will survive or if it is already too late.

Signature made by Emery!
    My Aviary's Website

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Hi rockyrobinbirds, I am also keeping eggs cause my lovebirds haven't. But I not only have 1 to look after... I have 10!!! we keep ours in a cardboard box with hay in it. Then we hair dry my softest sock, and lastly we put the sock on top of ALL the eggs.
    -loviesrosum