where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: help pls egg advice needed

Name
    alan paul
    Nottingham, United Kingdom, United Kingdom
    Thanks

help pls egg advice needed

hello my cockatile has layed 2 eggs thay wont be fertail what shoudl i do should i leave her with them or take them off her i dont know what to do its her first batch of eggs she had 3 eggs but i dident notice the first one when cleaning cage out and it got broke pls pls give me advice thanks a lot

Name
    alan paul
    Thanks

Re: help pls egg advice needed

ok i decided to take them off her its not right letting her look after something that will bear no fruite at the end for her now if she had a male and layed them i would let her keep them best to take them off her now so she dosent get attached to them i feel

Name
    alan paul
    Thanks

someone pls post a reply of what i should do Pls

Vickie Brand New Egg
    Thanks

I'll try and answer...

I have a female cockatiel and she does the egg laying thing also. ALL THE TIME!!! The worst thing you can do is take them out. This will cause her to lay more eggs and in turn could make her very ill. Keep the eggs there and let her play mother hen, I know it's not right but otherwise she might keep laying and could get calcium deficient, eggbound, etc. I hope this helps a bit! Good luck!

Name
    Alison
    Thanks

Well, I have never been through this with my bird, but... I think it is recommended that you leave the eggs. Otherwise, she might lay more to replace the ones that "disappeared." Has she laid more? Eventually, she will get bored with them, and then you can take them away.

Also, make sure she has a cuttlebone for calcium because laying eggs takes a lot of calcium out of their bodies. And, you can try to discourage her from laying by giving her less daylight, so basically putting her to bed early, covering the cage to make it dark. Plus, don't pat her on the back, and don't let her explore small dark spaces that she will consider good nesting spots.

HTH. Good luck, let us know what happens!
    Last edited by CharleyCockatiel; 03-14-2008 at 09:09 PM.

Name
    alan paul
    Thanks

thank you for ur help she now has 3 eggs andi am keeping her in her cage not letting her out ash she keeps doing big poo's all over she started laying after i put some shredded paper in her cage for her to play with she layed a total of 4 so far i broke one bye accsedent as i was cleaning cage and dident notice it was there i new from day 1 she was female this proved it to me but as for the darkspaces she was exsploring everywhere alot before keeped going down back of tv and back of pc and hideing down the back of them , Thank you again for your help

Name
    alan paul
    Thanks

also how menny eggs do thay lay she has layewd 5 so faAR when will she stop

Vickie Brand New Egg
    Thanks

My Daisy has always layed 4. Every clutch has been the exact same number but they can have more than that. If she hasn't layed in 2 or 3 days then she is probably done.

I LOVE my babies!!! Brand New Egg
    Name
    Aly
    Thanks

Female tiels will lay clutches even when single sometime during their life. If the conditions are right she'll keep laying them. Right now the goal is to discourage it and also make sure you provide lots of calcium for her so problems such as egg binding don't occur. Familiarize yourself with what can go wrong so you can know and help her. To answer you're questions, if it's her first clutch she probably won't have that many. The average is 4-8 eggs.
    First thing first, NEVER take away the eggs until she's lost intrest. Doing so will cause her to drain her calcium supply by replacing them. She'll sit on them for about 2-3 weeks are realize their duds. At that time, and only then do you start removing them one by one.
    Things you should do in the meantime are:
    Provide 12 hours of dark *night time* to simulate winter (non breeding conditions)
    Change around her cage location and cage items *perches, bowls, toys, etc*. This will take her a bit out of her comfort zone and bring her out of condition.
    Limit high fat/high sugar/high protein foods such as egg, seed, millet. Replace those items with healthy things like veggies, beans, etc. Be careful not to take away her calcium and vitamin needs as she needs that. The idea is not to deprive her, but to make sure food is not available in abudance.
    No petting on anywhere but her head. SO many owners make the mistake of rubbing their female's back and she ends up thinking you're her mate. Yes, she will try and lay eggs for you.
    Do not provide any nesting material and remove any toys that she's getting *frisky* with. You'll know she's doing this when she lowers her head, put up her tail, circles around and does low peeping noises. Ignore her completly until she's stopped.
    Don't let her go searching for dark spots-they're looking for nesting spots. *under couch pillows, book shelves, cupboards, etc*
    Change around her cage one last time once you've removed the egg. It's a good idea to do this about once a month after that. Also, always make sure she's getting 12hrs of quiet dark time.
    All these things combined should bring her out of condition.
    Goodluck!

Name
    alan paul
    Thanks

she put her beek throue one yesterday and got it stuck this morning she has a bad egg stuck to her it Stunk so i took all eggs off her and making shre she dosent settle down anywhere again so she wont get no more eggs

Remove Ads