Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bug - updated with more pictures

Crazy for Conures & Poi's Teenager Stephie's Avatar
    Name
    Stephanie
    Thanks

Bug - updated with more pictures

After Christmas, we first saw Bug at our favorite pet store. Bug is a black capped conure, and he caught my eye because my husband and I were talking about getting a BCC as our next bird. When I saw Bug, he melted my heart.

You can't see very well, but Bug has scissor beak...and he just looked so cute that I fell in love with him instantly. Then, when I heard his story I knew I wanted him.

Bug's original Mom purchased him from our pet store. Our Pet store actually named him Bug becuase everytime they hand fed him, he would want more so he would jump at the side of the cage and leave a splatter of hand feeding formula that looked like a Bug splatter. When his mom took him, she kept his name. She took him back to our pet store for boarding, grooming, everything, and she was a real good friend of the owner. Unfortunately his mom passed away suddenly, and she made sure that our pet store was given custody of Bug so they could find him a great home.

I wanted to take Bug home with us the first time we saw him, but because the holidays had just passed, we were short on funds, so we couldn't bring him home with us.

Every time we go to our pet store, I would stop by to see Bug, and he would come right to the front of the cage to see us. It was almost as if he was telling us he wanted to come home with us. Each time we saw him, I wanted to bring him home more and more - but since I was looking into getting a dog, I couldn't see bringing home a new bird too.

Since we didn't keep Cooper last week (see http://www.tailfeathersnetwork.com/c...ad.php?t=51473 to read about Cooper) I was hoping that Bug would still be there today.

He was.

I'm sure no one else wanted Bug due to his scissor beak, but to us - he was perfect and cute and we wanted him. So when we asked our pet store if they would give us a package deal on a cage and Bug, she quoted the right price.

Bug is now home, with us, where I knew he belonged 3 months ago. Things have a funny way of working out, and he was supposed to be ours.

Here are a few more pictures of Bug:

Here are some more pictures from this morning:

Last edited by Stephie; 03-16-2008 at 10:15 AM. Reason: added pictures and changed title

For the Love of all Birds Hatched! pitufina73's Avatar
    Name
    Maria
    Thanks

Re: Bug

awww so cute
    can he eat ok?

i think maybe your avian vet can do something about his beak...
    Visit my work's website!
    http://www.amazinglabels.com

Thanks

Was that deformity caused by mites?

I think it can be corrected ....

Name
    Stephanie
    Thanks

He can eat perfectly. As a matter of fact as soon as we put him in his cage he started eating.

He has seen a vet, his first owner took him, and they said not to worry about it as it's not stopping him from eating, or causing him any problems.

Of course we will be taking him to our vet within the next few weeks.

No, it's not caused by mites, the woman that had Bug originally was a very good friend of our pet store's owner and she informed her of his medical history. Bug just likes to eat out of one side of his mouth.

Name
    Barb
    Thanks

What a cutie!! And your story just melted me . You guys did belong together!

Name
    Chris
    Thanks

aww what a cutie and you did a good thing take him in. Sounds like he picked you!

Name
    Stephanie
    Thanks

Thanks Barb and Chris, I think we did belong together - if not someone would have taken him home a lot sooner.

I know my husband was worried that I would still want a dog, but after Cooper last weekend, we're a strictly bird household.

I told my husband tonight that I'd rather have a Bug anyday over a dog. He just seems so excited and happy to be here - since we brought him home and we put him in his cage we haven't taken him out. Everytime we walk in his room, he dances around like he's so happy to be here - like he's happy he's back in a home again instead of in the pet store. Maybe i'm just projecting, but he just seems so happy to see us - or maybe it's just because he can hear his brothers...

Think before typing Tailfeather
    Thanks

Re: Bug - updated with more pictures

Aww, what a great story! He's cute, too. Any idea what caused the beak to do that?

Tailfeather
    Thanks

Bug is gorgeous Here is some info on scissor beak, it can be corrected. And can get worse,impeding eating hard foods.

From http://www.petparrot.com/Injuries.ht...kedScissorBeak
    Crooked or Scissor Beak

Scissor is a condition where the upper mandible is not straight and does not meet correctly over the lower mandible. There have been many theories as to the cause of this condition, e.i., improper incubation, improper feeding techniques, poor nutrition, heredity, etc. It is very possible that it may be caused by any one, or a ScissorBeak.jpg (8992 bytes)combination of these. Feeding technique has often been blamed as the cause of this condition, but I believe that there are other contributing factors. I, personally, feed over 100 babies a year, and may have one or two of these that have scissor beak. All of them are fed the same.

Although feeding technique may, at times, be one of the causes, there are a number of other possible reasons for the condition. Heredity may be one of the causes, but I have seen this condition in a babies that were not consistently from any related parentage. This condition may occur in young babies that tend to clamp the top mandible tightly over the lower mandible to one side or the other doing the chugging, feeding motion. This causes a groove to develop in the lower mandible that the upper mandible begins to rest in. In time, the upper mandible begins to curve to one side as it rests in this groove, and the lower mandible grows longer on the opposite side.

Regardless of the cause, or the age of the bird, this condition is generally correctable with persistent trimming of the upper and lower mandibles and the cleft that the upper mandible rests in located on the under side of the upper mandible. The parrot pictured is a two year old Green Wing macaw that had scissor beak so badly that he could barely eat any hard foods. His lower mandible, on the right side, had grown to extend two inches higher than his upper mandible. His uppper mandible curved to the left and formed a long tusk that circled the side of his face and almost touched his cheek. I cut off the tusk and the extended lower mandible with a large nail clipper, and drummelled the both mandibles into shape. I also used the Drummel tool to shape the under side of the upper mandible and to straighten the cleft. The picture shows what this bird looked like after a couple of weeks of trimming.

Since a bird's beak is constantly growing, persistent trimming will eventually result in both mandibles growing normally, and the condition corrected. To be sure that the correction is done properly, shaping and clipping of the beak should only be done by an avian vet or someone that has had experience in this procedure. Incorrect trimming may worsen the condition.

Surrounded by people who love life, you love it too;
    surrounded by people who don't, you don't.
    ~Mignon McLaughlin

Name
    Sarah
    Thanks

That's great information Lori Ann, at least it can be corrected if it does ever bother him.

Amorous Tailfeather
    Thanks

Aw what a cutie, even if his beak is funny looking it's charming

Name
    Stephanie
    Thanks

Thanks for the great info Lori Ann - I will talk with our vet when we bring Bug in.

Also, right now he has no problem eating hard foods - but we are keeping a close eye on him.

Queen of her Flock Parent Sun_angel00's Avatar
    Name
    Cheryl
    Thanks

Bug is a cutie! what a sad story

You know I have 2 dogs and 8 birds. Patch I have to watch around the birds but he isnt to worried about them and Kevan just really doesnt care, bubba and him get along great she wants to clean him all the time and he is curious about them but leaves them alone. Both of my pup's are shih tzus.
    "I will lend to you, a Bird", God said, "and teach you all you have to do. And when I call him back to heaven, you will know he loved you too."

Thanks

Bug looks so cute in those new photos

Name
    Stephanie
    Thanks

Cheryl,

I know, but now he's so happy! I had him out yesterday and he loves to sit in my sweatshirt pocket - it's so cute!!! He did go up on my shoulder, but I don't want him to be there until I know he will step up when I want him to. I tried to get him to step up but I couldn't see him since he was leaning into my neck to cuddle with me, so my husband tried to get him to step up and Bug bit him - he didn't break the skin, but he did bite him.

You know, I love dogs, but I just don't want one. Having Cooper around for a few hours made me realize that.

Exocorp - my sun Twinkie does the same thing and goes in our shirts like that.