Tailfeathers
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Name
    Lisa
    Thanks

Exclamation I am such a stupid bird bird owner and I am so angry with myself! (UPDATE!!!)

This is completely my fault! When I thought I cared so much I was just plain old stupid! My husband and I got a new Tiel yesterday. I have one already, Lexie, and I love her to death! Well my husband has wanted another one because Lexie is really bonded to me and she isn't very nice to him. I was always against it because we didn't have a proper place to quarantine and the last thing I want is somthing to happen to Lexie, we are so close.

So we bought this new Tiel, 3 months old. I felt sad for it and brought her right into our room where we keep Lexie. I KNOW HOW IMPORTANT IT IS TO QUARANTINE! WHY DIDN'T I? I just don't understand. They are both doing fine but it's only been a day. I am so worried. I couldn't sleep last night, i'm so upset I can't fight off the tears. Nothing has happened so far and I thank God for it ever minute.

I guess I am here to share my experience and once again stress the importance of quarentine. I would also like some support. I know it was very naive everyone and I apologize. I love Lexie and I'm getting to love the new bird. I just want them to be safe. Please everyone, I just need some support, you know, a shoulder. I'm scheduling a vet visit tomorrow for the new Tiel. Lexie went to the vet 2 months ago and has a clean bill of health.

;
    ;
    ;
    ;
    UPDATE!!
    Nessie has been with us for over one month! she is a very healthy bird and also very happy. gets along with Lexie so so but the vet told me that she is actually a boy, i need to still get used to that. I got very very luck but i definetly learned my lesson!!
    Last edited by schlisa; 04-24-2008 at 03:26 PM. Reason: update

Tailfeather Tailfeathers Supporter!Tailfeathers Supporter! Lovebirdfan's Avatar
    Name
    Karen
    Thanks

Re: I am such a stupid bird bird owner and I am so angry with myself!

Lisa,
    While it is important to quarantine, if you got the Tiel at a reputable place and are taking her to the vet tomorrow, just try to relax. Many people don't quarantine so you are certainly not the first person who didn't. Birds can sense if something is wrong, so the best thing you can do now is to calm down and enjoy your new bird. Please let us know how everything goes tomorrow. I wish you many, many happy and healthy years with your new tiel.

Name
    Bonnie
    Thanks

I agree with Karen

It's also not too late to quarantine. Just because they've been in the same area, doesn't mean Lexie contracted anything immediately.

Name
    Lisa
    Thanks

Thank you so much. After I posed this I was all teary and got Lexie and cluddled with her. I told her I was sorry and she just looked at me like 'what is wrong with you?!' but let out a soft chirp and cuddled me back. I'm working with the new Tiel too. She is so sweet and so innocent! She reminds me so much of a small child. We are still trying to come up with a name for her.

We got the new Tiel at the same place where we got Lexie. I'm just keeping my fingers crossed. I'm so greatful to have them both though. I never relized how attached I could become!

Name
    Lisa
    Thanks

Thank you so much Karen and Bonnie! It's great to know I can come here for comfort and advice and not be judged as a terrible person. =D

Name
    Karen
    Thanks

Best of luck to you. It's smart to get a new bird check-up -- and lots of people don't, so you can sleep easier and feel good that you're doing that!

Name
    Lisa
    Thanks

I love taking Lexie to the vet! We also took her to Maine one weekend, a 3 hour drive. She loves to ride in the car. She is so relaxed!!

Name
    Karen
    Thanks

My lovebirds enjoy car rides too- especially when I have the radio cranked up.

Name
    Lisa
    Thanks

Hahaha! Lovebirds are so cute! I used to have a pair when I was younger. They are such comics!

This morning I checked on the Birds and they are both doing well. I gave them both a treat. Lexie of course threw herself onto it and Nessie was a bit hesitant but nibbled on it. She also used her water bottle to drink! It was nice to see her doing well.

I've also been checking both of their droppings 3 times a day just to I can try and catch anything. Poop is looking good! =D

Hatching
    Name
    robin
    Thanks

Re: I am such a stupid bird bird owner and I am so angry with myself! (UPDATE!!!)

so both are in good health? I like the names you picked. I didn't get that chance the names was already picked with all 4 of my suns, except for my last male. he was named Sunshine and I shortened it to Sunny. He'll run over to me using either though. I get quite a chorus every mrning after I say " good morning" to them. their all very sweet birds. I had them all vet checked within 2 days of purchase to be safe and each are between 107- 110 g. my vet says thats very good. and no signs of any problems at all. so taking a chance did work out with me too although I agree totally with quarantine time. keeping them still to get a pic is almost impossable, but I'll keep trying.
    Hi, I'm Robin

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Michael
    Thanks

Re: I am such a stupid bird bird owner and I am so angry with myself! (UPDATE!!!)

I never knew about having to quarantine new birds. My older bird just died on saturday but it's been 3 years since i brought home my 2nd bird so I'm hoping she didn't die of something he brought in, hes as well as can be.

I am so glad that your birds are well and hope they get along great together

Name
    Clive
    Thanks

Quarantine is a contentious is issue.
    I would take it bird by bird myself. After working in a Rescue that had no place to quarantine and seeing they had no trouble with any infections, it would seem to be over rated.
    Don't get me wrong, I was one and still am all for having a safe room for incoming birds, for the very reason that it is impossible to tell what they may have when they come in that door.

With my own situation, if bringing a bird int my flight. Number one priority is to watch and observe any new bird for any negative signs, then off to the vets for full check over. if that comes back clear then they are allowed to fly with the other guys.
    I did have a strange one when I bought Angel from a breeder. She had worms and feather mites. This was picked up straight away in her vet check and dealt with. And my guys have tested clear.

Not everybody can do this and it that case one should apply common sense. Quarantine could be just separate cages in the same room. Not idea. Separate air space , another room, is good. The big one is if you think there is any big issue. Separate room and change clothes every time you move from one room to another. Worms are in pooh, so not to bad to deal with same as lice and feather mites. But things like PDFB and Psittacosis can be transmitted by dried pooh dust. And is easy to move around on clothing. And with these tests may come back negative, and then when the bird gets stressed, so the disease will surface. And this could be years later or from the stress of keeping a bird in isolation.

That leaves How long? Two weeks minimum. Four weeks good. I would never advise three months, which I have seen others say.

At least you are over it now and all seems well. And I am sorry you were so stressed over it. but it does mean that you care and that is what is important.
    Sorry for the long post.
    *****************A Night Shot************

Henry-Zinny-Snowy-Dexter-Mango-Max-Angel-Tinkerbell