where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: New to this forum

Name
    Annette
    Thanks

New to this forum

Hello everyone!

I am the owner or owned of many pets. My husband and I are rescuers by nature and all five of our kids have followed our example.
    Currently we have:

Meme - a 13 year old cat that we rescued as a kitten on our farm. She was extremely sick and we had a potential home for her. We took her on a camping trip with us while feeding her a mash of cottage cheese, boiled rice and boiled chicken. When we returned home she was well, the people no longer wanted her and we were hooked.

George - an 11 year old dog. We found her in a ditch as a puppy. We are not dog people so we tried hard to find her owner. We ended up naming her after George of the Jungle. She runs without thinking of the consequences of trees or the end of a leash.

Cloud - a 4 year old cat. We already had two cats and the dog when my son came home from the farm saying that his cat was going to die. It seems his back paw was infected from a minor injury, but once I took him to the vet and brought him home it was too late. Cloud has this way about him that can destress anyone. He is so laid back and loveable that he is irrisistable. Sometimes we are sure that he thinks his real name is "Awwwwww."

Hank - One day a cockateil stopped by our farm. We caught him and took him to the vet. It was too late. He was too sick to save. My youngest daughter was devestated. I decided that one day I would get her a cockateil. That one day came Christmas of 2005. We saw the meanest bird with the worst attitude. I knew he would be perfect for our family. He had injured at least two other birds and he reduced the woman who clipped his wings to foul words and bloodied fingers. We bought leather gloves just in case. We never did use the gloves. It was not long before he had decided who he liked and who he did not like but he trusts each family member in a different way.

Suckie and Bubbles - A Pleco and an Oranda. A friend was moving and could not transport their 33 gallon tank with one pleco and five Orandas. I did battle with the tank weekly to keep it clean and avoid disease. I was regretting our decision to keep them. Then we had a power outage that lasted for 2 days. I stirred up the water often but it was not enough to keep them all alive. Since then I have had no trouble with disease and little trouble with keeping the tank clean.

Beta and 10 Zebra Danio - another friend went on holiday for the summer leaving my son looking after their birds. After several days my son phoned and asked if they had a fish. I went over and found a blob in a scummy fish bowl. It was moving. I brought him home and changed the water and found life. So I dug out an old tank we had and prepared it, adding a bubble pump, but no filter. When the owners returned home I returned their fish and they could not believe how good and healthy he looked, so they gave him to me. I bought a larger tank and added the Zebra Danio. The beta has since died of old age but I replaced him.

Princess - A year and a half ago Cloud brought a kitten home. We think she might have been trapped in the farm truck and Cloud found her. She stayed in the garage and even though it appeared that cloud was feeding her, she was starving. It took about 3 months to get her to trust enough to come and get food directly from me. She came in the house just before the freeze. Even though she is now a house cat, she is very leary of everyone except me.

That about covers our house pets. We won't get into farm animals. We do live in a strata where the rules say 1 cat, 1 dog and 1 bird, so we are pushing the rules.

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

Re: New to this forum

Hi Annette,

Sounds like you have a house full at your house
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Think before typing Tailfeather
    Thanks

to TF! How great of you to give all those animals a second chance.

Name
    Angie
    Thanks

Welcome!
    1 Tiel, Mo
    3 dogs-Black Lab mix, Zeppelin ~ Brindle Boxer, Sly
    ~Mini Schnauzer Renesme A.K.A. Nessie

R.I.P. Bear
    R.I.P. Daisy

Next bird-English Budgie Tailfeather Pootspete's Avatar
    Name