Tailfeathers
Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: behavior of baby, should I be concerned?

Name
    Lynne
    Thanks

Question behavior of baby, should I be concerned?

Skittles my middle baby who is just over 5 weeks old is being quiet and standoffish the last couple days. Maybe sleeping more than the other two although on one foot. He also weighs a little less than the oldest one. Today he got to fly It seemed to perk him up. I let him fly a couple days ago and he like the other two bumped his head on the ceiling on his maiden flight. I wonder if that scared him or gave him headache and made him less interested in flying. he just didn't want anything to do with flying yesturday. Today he did well and right after he was more perky and seemed to be very hungry and more in with the crowd tonight before bed. I know these little guys can get ill though and hide it so can anyone tell me if this can be normal for babies that are fledging and weaning or should they be perky and awake most all day long.
    Thanks
    tikileahsmom
    http://flickr.com/photos/23784952@N07/

"A bird's life is so frail, so threatened, that
    Each is a miracle...each new hatchling an
    Astonishment."

Helen Thompson

Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

Re: behavior of baby, should I be concerned?

How's Skittles doing?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Flutter Farm Aviary
    "Happy Tiels From Our Nest to Yours"

Name
    jim
    Thanks

lynne quit worring about it. it's to late to get a picture but i'm going to have fully feathered chicks in another day or so. i live with my baby's all day and valley the oldest is the same way i have 3 grand daughters and they all act the same. pick and fight over everything from who is setting where on the perch to thats my seed. one day i think their wings are broke to will you ever quite flying. i thought rainey had a problem till she made 2 passes over my head befor landing on my shoulder. hay we get moody too. they all look healthy and what more can you ask for. to me they are so cute can't wait till mine cover their backs.

Pardon My Pearls Please Tailfeather Oh Mowsie's Avatar
    Name
    Nicole
    Thanks

Lynne, baby tiels at that age are still growing and they will have periods where they sleep and periods where they are extremely active. Picture kindergarten children who run around all hyper and then still have to take a nap in the middle of the day. A clock on the noggin may have deterred Skittles from wanting to fly for a while, but they're pretty resilient and pretty soon, instinct and wanting to be like his sibs will win him over and he won't be able to resist the urge to flap, as you saw.

A little bit of pouting after an accident and "owie, that hurt, I'm gonna take a break and sleep it off" is normal. If its prolonged, appetite is decreased, fluffing up, prolonged periods of sleeping and less activity over the next few days, it would be something to be concerned about, but since he's already perking back up, I think he'll be just fine.
    Visit Apache, Neo, Silver, Taxi, Tieka, Trinny, Buzz, Tiggy, Paris, Persephone & Hektor at Nikkie's Cockatiels More of what the flock is up too at their blog. Tiel Tales
    "Somewhere out there
    Someone's singing a prayer
    That we'll find one another
    In that big somewhere, out there"~

Prayers for Paris- Please come home!

Name
    Lynne
    Thanks

Hi guys,
    Sorry it took so long to respond about Skittles, but my laptop keys were missing thanks to a CAG here named Jeremiah and I was not able to use most of my keys so had to go buy a keyboard tonight and plug it in to my laptop. At the same time the wireless system on my desktop went out. Geez
    Skittles is still standoffish and does at times look fluffed up a bit. His eyes aren't as wide open as the other two and never really have been. He was the skittish one of the three when they first came out of the nest. He likes to sit on the ledge of the nest box. He really perks up when dad comes out and tonight he came out of the cage by himself and took a flight when I had the door open. I was so proud of him. At times he's active and fine and at other times he seems bored out of his skull. He seems to feel and look better in the evening. I've been weighing him and he weighs about 87 to 91 grams depending The oldest weighs 94 and the youngest 98/ 99.
    I"m watching for weight loss but I think I'll call my vet tomorrow and see what she thinks. She used to breed cockatiels so maybe she's seen this before. I've always been a worry wart but am afraid to needlessly take him to the vet as it might add more stress. I wonder if he's just not good at handling stress and then taking him in would add more to it. I have to go to the vet tomorrow anyway to get my hahns beak and nails done. He apparently got his beak bitten pretty bad as a baby so now needs beak work throughout his whole life. It grows fast and crooked. maybe Skittles will go along. I'll see what the vet says.
    I appreciate all your concern and will certainly keep you updated. BTW, the new clutch is due to start hatching Saturday morning. Wish us all luck here.
    Lynne

Astonishment."

Helen Thompson

Name
    Lynne
    Thanks

Well Starburst is back to his normal self and not looking strange anymore. It must have been stress so I need to keep my eye on him during any changes. He's just as fired up and ready to go as the other two now.
    Lynne

Astonishment."

Helen Thompson

Name
    jim
    Thanks

Lightbulb Re: behavior of baby, should I be concerned?

who's your carpender lynne? looks like a nice gym they have to play on. next time get a wider shot i'm trying to get some ideas for when i can get out to the garage to build some things. you should see my birds they look like dust mops. they wander all over the place they even come out with cowwebs on them. i just let them go most of the day in my man cave my wife likes them as long as they are in my man cave and don't flush durning her shower.
    toys are hard to find no big pet shops here. one other yhing i keep the parents cage closed when they are out and they go in and out of their cage when they want to. they eat then go perch then eat and back out to wander.

Queen of her Flock Parent Sun_angel00's Avatar
    Name
    Cheryl
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tikileahsmom View Post
    Well Starburst is back to his normal self and not looking strange anymore. It must have been stress so I need to keep my eye on him during any changes. He's just as fired up and ready to go as the other two now.
    Lynne
    Thats nice about star but what about skittles?
    "I will lend to you, a Bird", God said, "and teach you all you have to do. And when I call him back to heaven, you will know he loved you too."

Name
    Lynne
    Thanks

Sorry, I meant SKittles. One of those days I usually call them all each others names. Actually I do that to all my birds as I have 13 of them not including the babies. LOL

Astonishment."

Helen Thompson

Name
    Lynne
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by the61 View Post
    who's your carpender lynne? looks like a nice gym they have to play on. next time get a wider shot i'm trying to get some ideas for when i can get out to the garage to build some things. you should see my birds they look like dust mops. they wander all over the place they even come out with cowwebs on them. i just let them go most of the day in my man cave my wife likes them as long as they are in my man cave and don't flush durning her shower.
    toys are hard to find no big pet shops here. one other yhing i keep the parents cage closed when they are out and they go in and out of their cage when they want to. they eat then go perch then eat and back out to wander.
    Jim, I bought that gym online a while ago and can't remember where I got it from. I tried to look for the guy but can't seem to find him.
    I will take some more pictures of the bird room this week for ya. There is a movie of alot of my bird room on youtube.

Astonishment."

Helen Thompson

Remove Ads