Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Flighted or Clipped?

World Ruler in the making Chick Edd's Avatar
    Name
    Edward Wong
    Thanks

Re: Flighted or Clipped?

is'nt clipping one wing a bad idea? I mean would'nt they sort of fly diagnolly lol?

Caique Crazy! Tailfeather BareFootAviary's Avatar
    Name
    Briana
    Thanks

Yes, one wing clips are very bad for many reasons. It was an "old-school" way of doing things that some breeders still do, though it tends to be older breeders who have not "changed with the times." No offense, that is just the most common scenario.

One wing clips only allow one side of the breast muscles to form, which can cause atrophy in the other side. It also does not give the bird any control, so it is more likely to fly into things and get hurt. And believe me, flying in circles will not get you out of danger!!!!!!

I keep all my birds full flighted, but I do clip the babies I sell. I do this because it helps the baby to bond with its new family and when they go through the teenager phase, it makes it easier to catch them. I give them what I call a "puppy clip" because it is trimming the first 5 flight feathers just half-way (compared to a full clip that goes to the coverts). This kind of a clip allows the bird to fly at an altitude for a long distance, but allows for very little chance to fly up. This clip is good for high ceilings and babies just going to their new home.

I keep my Lovebirds flighted because it makes them happier and because they are so social, they like to visit each other in the birdroom. I can't imagine all the depressed birds I would have if I clipped them all

I keep the Caiques flighted because it gives them confidence and it allows them to be recall trained (like Dweezel is, Zorro is still gaining confidence after years of badly clipped wings).
    "I'd rather be the one in love than to be loved and never even known."

Signature made by Emery!
    My Aviary's Website
    Current Parrot Jewelry in stock!

Poicephalus Obsessed Found a Mate Shade's Avatar
    Name
    Natacha
    Thanks

Shade and Piper aren't clipped. Joey is, but it was the decision of his former owner I am going to allow him to grow his flight feathers in. The reason is I have a cat and even thought I don't allow her to be in the same room if the birds are out, there's always the possibility that someone will slip out. I'm giving the birds a chance to escape if it ever will happen, although I'm doing every thing I can to prevent it. I'm living with my boyfriend and can monitor who goes in and out without trouble. He is fully aware that when we'll want to go out on the balcony (when the weather allows it..sigh) that he'll (and I'll do the same) have to triple check that all birds are away in their cages first.
    However, I do believe in wing clipping to help with an over aggressive bird. When my parents got their first African grey (rehomed bird) he was fully flighted. And he had some major superiority complex and tried to be very dominant. He was also able to fly away and be unreachable. Clipping him has helped taming him and he's now allowed to have flight feathers grown back.
    Last edited by Shade; 04-01-2008 at 07:40 AM.

Thanks

mine are clipped. they still can "fly" from one room to the other..... in fact, i don't think they're any worse for wear because they are clipped. for me, it is far easier for me to keep an eye on them. i'm letting kito grow his wings in so he can learn to fly/land with grace (i don't think he ever did), but will then clip them again. the layout of my house is not great for free-flight birds - open concept, with soaring cathedral ceilings (not to mention 3 cats roaming).

Name
    Dawn
    Thanks

I am a new bird owner. I am a stay at home mom now, but my career was a Veterinary Technician. I have worked on birds, but only owned a couple parakeets when I was a kid. I have a dove that we bought about 3 weeks ago. She was not clipped when I got her and not that tame. It was so hard to work with her when she could just fly off and it was so hard to catch her. We have vaulted cathedral ceilings so she could get up high!!! I clipped her wings and it made it sooo much easier to work with her. She is so tame now and loves to be held and stroked. She can still fly short distances at low altitude, though.

We also just got a Blue Headed Pionus a little over a week ago. He's 6 months old and he was clipped when we got him. I don't know if they clipped him too short or if they never gave him a chance to learn to fly, but he drops like a rock. I hate that!!! Freaks me out every time he does it. I am so afraid he's going to hurt himself by falling. He's molting right now and we may let his flight feathers grow in and see how he does. He has become so tame and pretty obedient in the short time he's been here. Of course, if being flighted means he turns into a brat, I will clip him again.

I feel like it is a personal decision each person must make based on themselves and their birds.
    Dawn, Mama to...
    5 Human babies
    8 Four Legged Babies
    Kenya-Congo African Grey
    Lady-Tangerine Ring Necked Dove
    Ozzy-Blue Headed Pionus

Gizmo, Ratchet, Bella and Icey-Budgies
    Pippin-Parrotlet
    Sunny-Lutino Peach Faced Lovebird
    Frodo-Senegal Parrot
    Baby-Goffin's Cockatoo

Name
    Bonnie
    Thanks

We clip our tiels but not our budgies. The biggest problem we have with the tiels is they constantly fly to us as long as they're out of the cage. We love to spend time with them but it's not always safe. They're follow us anywhere, including the kitchen while cooking which makes me crazy nervous. They know the sound of the front door opening and will fly to it like a dog running to greet their owner, also quite dangerous when you walk in the door and a bird comes flying at you... especially for the kids that don't think about it before coming inside.

We ended up having to cage them more frequently for their safety when they were flighted, so we made the decision to clip them again and keep them clipped so they can be out of their cages whenever we're home.

The other problem we had with flighted birds was when they'd get startled. Flock mentality kicks in and they all go flying in different directions. The panic causes them to fly into things or places that just aren't safe. It's kind of disappointing because we love to see them fly but it's just not safe or practical for our velcro birds

Name
    Sarah
    Thanks

Diva is clipped, though she's a strong flyer so she can still fly very well. She doesn't seem to be able to fly very high, though she just might not try since she's usually flying to me I like that she can fly somewhat, so that way she can get away if a cat, dog, or kid was bothering her.

Positively Beautielful! Chick Janeeva's Avatar
    Name
    Rebecca
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nightlady View Post
    We clip our tiels but not our budgies. The biggest problem we have with the tiels is they constantly fly to us as long as they're out of the cage. We love to spend time with them but it's not always safe. They're follow us anywhere, including the kitchen while cooking which makes me crazy nervous. They know the sound of the front door opening and will fly to it like a dog running to greet their owner, also quite dangerous when you walk in the door and a bird comes flying at you... especially for the kids that don't think about it before coming inside.

We ended up having to cage them more frequently for their safety when they were flighted, so we made the decision to clip them again and keep them clipped so they can be out of their cages whenever we're home.

The other problem we had with flighted birds was when they'd get startled. Flock mentality kicks in and they all go flying in different directions. The panic causes them to fly into things or places that just aren't safe. It's kind of disappointing because we love to see them fly but it's just not safe or practical for our velcro birds

That is the exact senario at my house.

I only have two birds that are fully flighted, all feathers in. That's Nina and Kiz (for the purpose of her dorky splay leg ) Kiz won't leave when you go to catch her, doesn't make trouble or fly recklessly around the room. Nina's wings are very strong, always have been and even clipped she can still fly like a perigrine. The other five have their wings in different stages but are all growing out. Micah is the exception. He is so velcro I have to clip his wings or he would be following me out the door! My first ever budgies were clipped at the store. Never learned to fly well. As they grew I didn't clip their wings anymore. There were some that did need clipping though for the sake of floating around the room and bouncing off the walls like spaz monkeys! I never clipped Ruka, never needed it. She was easy to catch and would come to you.

But, like Bonnie said, sometimes it's better to have them clipped like when you open a door and "flock freak" kicks in and they all go off in different directions like mad. I open my door and see birds diving at me then shut it fast and wait until I hear thuds from those less coordinated and hear the rest land on the cage. Then go in. I tell everyone that goes into my room to let me go first. My birds are out from 6am to 8:30pm free fly of the room everyday so they have real strong wings from flying.

The way I see it, clip or don't clip. Which ever you feel is right for the bird and your housing situation. When my friend brought Aichou and Brooke and Reba over the other day I needed to clip Chuy. I let my babies fledge and fly all they want then when they go to a new home I will clip them to the owners discretion. They way their house is, you walk in the front door to the living room and straight in is a wall and a huge aquarium. To the left and to the right are door ways to the kitchen. Chuy could fly in full circle from the kitchen, living room and back. This poses danger because of the front door and velcro bird. I cut three primaries so he could fly far and high still, but no way he could do that anymore.
    Tiels: Janeeva (Lutino Pied), Rahz (Cinnamon), Peter (Pearl), Micah (Grey), Kiz (Cinnamon Whiteface)
    Budgies: Sprite (Light Green Recessive Pied), Rosella (Violet Opaline)
    Equines: Ramblin' Rose (Running QH), Life's Shadow (Appendix)
    Felines: Nicki (Silver Tabby), Eliza (Maine Coon) and Orion (Calico)
    Canines: Asher (Border Collie/Heeler)

Crele Old English Game Bantams-
    American Game Bantams-

Name
    Cara
    Thanks

We've left the budgies flighted for now. We're in a small basement apartment, so there really isn't any concern about them getting out of the house. They would have to go out of the livingroom (a terrifying idea for them) then down a hallway, up a flight of stairs and down another hallway to even find a door to get out of, and all our windows throughout the house are screened. We also left them flighted because it makes them so happy to fly. There's nothing they love more than to chase each other around the room and from the flight cage to the play cage, as well as flying over to one of us for a kiss and some attention before getting back to very important budgie business.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Name
    Jessica
    Thanks

Both of my birds are currently flighted, although Horseshoe used to be clipped back when she was in her bratty stage. Both birds are very good fliers, and while Piper (the budgie) is still not very tame, he does know the phrase "go to your cage" and is not allowed in any other part of the house. There isn't really a chance of them escaping either. If the birds are out, I tell everyone, and have a sign by the door saying: "birds out, do not leave open." With this system, we've never had a bird escape or get hurt in 14 years of owning them. Clipping a bird's wings is a great training tool, in my opinion, but I prefer to let my birds fly. If you have the time (and patience) to teach them recall and even to help them learn to fly well, then I think that leaving your bird unclipped is a great idea. And I agree with what most everyone is saying: It depends on the owner, and the bird.

Name
    Sally
    Thanks

I don't clip wings. I think keeping a bird inside and not free should still be fun for the bird, but that is just how I feel. The mental and physical exercise is important. The joy is priceless too. You have to give them destinations and make the home safe though.

Name
    Rhonda
    Thanks

I have five birds and three dogs. I used to get their wings clipped but after some thought I decided not to have them clipped anymore. I want them to be able to get away from the dogs. My dogs know they are part of the family and would never hurt them but I have friends that bring thier dogs to my house when they visit and don't know they are family members. Plus they are so pretty when they are flying.

Beeks

All three of my birds are flighted, but only one of them can fly. Kiwi (Quaker) is a very good flyer but gets winded quickly. Cocoa can get some air, but is a menace to herself as she has no directional control, Puli I don't believe was ever allowed to fledge. She drops like a stone and usually hurts herself, so avoids flight at all cost.

I guess what I'm getting at is...having flight wings does not necessarily a flyer make.

Crazy for Conures & Poi's Teenager Stephie's Avatar
    Name
    Stephanie
    Thanks

None of my birds are flighted. Whenever my sun, Twinkie's flight feathers start growing in he gets more sassy and nippier. I just feel that it's safer for them to not be fully flighted, we have so many people coming in our house, that I don't feel it's safe for them to be flighted. Not only could they escape the house if people don't close the door fast enough, but also for other people's safety. my sun Twinkie is not friendly with anyone except my husband and I and I would be worried that Twinkie would fly to bite someone.

Name
    Mary
    Thanks

I guess I prefer clipped. I couldn't wait for Cosmo to grow in her flight feathers so she could fly, but now that we are at that point... I'm having her clipped next week. When she's clipped, she'll play on her playstand, with her toys on the coffee table, on the floor, etc. She gets around pretty darned good being clipped, and can be very independant and have fun by herself. Now that she's flighted, she seems to have forgotten how to play independantly. The only time she'll leave me is when she's flying directly at Kaylaur, which is an accident waiting to happen! So I find that I cage her far more often, which sucks! She's also become much more nippy since being flighted (maybe because she's being caged more, and is telling me she hates it?).
    Mary, Cosmo, Kaylaur, Perry & Tyler, and Spaz (temporary foster). And we can't forget the furry kids Pepper & Chewy!

Remove Ads