Tailfeathers
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Name
    Dawn
    Thanks

Which Amazon is best?

Yes, I am already planning our next parrot purchase...LOL I am officially addicted! I know I want an Amazon next.

Who has a Blue Front? I was originally thinking of a Yellow Naped, but the more I read about the Blue Front, the more I think that's what I want. Perfect, considering my pet store just got a new Blue Head in.....I'm a freak! LOL

Thanks!
    Dawn, Mama to...
    5 Human babies
    8 Four Legged Babies
    Kenya-Congo African Grey
    Lady-Tangerine Ring Necked Dove
    Ozzy-Blue Headed Pionus

Gizmo, Ratchet, Bella and Icey-Budgies
    Pippin-Parrotlet
    Sunny-Lutino Peach Faced Lovebird
    Frodo-Senegal Parrot
    Baby-Goffin's Cockatoo

His Royal Greyness' Mom Chick spoosrule's Avatar
    Name
    Melissa
    Thanks

Re: Which Amazon is best?

I don't have any Amazon experience, but I have read that the Mealy Amazons have the best personality.

return to real life Tailfeather
    Thanks

Wow, I don't think you could get any more polar opposite in personality from your Pi! I would talk to Jojo's Zoo, she has two Amazons!

Four More Babies Hatched! Jojo's zoo's Avatar
    Name
    Joanna
    Thanks

I do have 2 amazons, and are you sure you want to do that??? You'll be dealing with hormones and puberty for all the birds all at the same time, and amazons (especially males) have a really bad reputation for gettin mean at puberty, and it takes some time and training and lots of attention to get them through it.

That being said, the "big 3" (Yellow Naped, Double Yellow Head, and Blue Front) have volatile personalities - what I like about them is that they wear their heart on their sleeve and dont tend to hide anything, so it's easy to tell when they're gonna strike, but they will strike. The most talkative ones (that's the "big 3")tend to be a handful and NOT ever recommended for new owners. I even read on a website that Amazons are mean and shouldnt' be owned by anyone, which obviously I think is crap, but that gives you an idea of the reputation they have.

I have a lilac-crowned amazon and a Mealy amazon. They're both wonderful, with wonderful personalities. Both these types tend to be quieter (although Benny missed that memo) and more predictable, as well as less of an inclination to be a one person bird (something the others are known for).

Do a TON of research and make sureyou know what you're getting yourself into, and you know how to fix problems that come up and you're in it for the next 50 years, at least! And I"m happy to answer any questions you have, since I've done a bunch of research myself.

Not to make you think theyre' bad or anything, they're a ton of fun. They say if there were a party with all the parrot species, the amazons would be the ones with the lampshade on their head. This is very true! Just know what you're getting into, and theyr'e not usually as easy as a pi!!

Name
    Dawn
    Thanks

Thanks for all the information.

I definitely know they are very different than my Pi. I am researching and deciding on which bird to get, but won't actually be buying one until next year, probably. I just want to get all the legwork done now, kwim. I have read some things that said the Amazons can be tough, but then I read so much more about what great birds they are. Like you said..the life of the party...LOL

As a vet tech, I worked on a lot of birds..I just never actually owned them until recently.

I keep thinking they must be like most other animals..how they are raised, treated and trained makes all the difference. Not to say there won't be rough spots, but getting through them is easier if you have laid the groundwork ahead of time. Am I way off base with this thinking?
    Dawn, Mama to...
    5 Human babies
    8 Four Legged Babies
    Kenya-Congo African Grey
    Ozzy-Blue Headed Pionus

Pippin-Parrotlet
    Frodo-Senegal Parrot
    Baby-Goffin's Cockatoo

Name
    Dawn
    Thanks

Mealy Amazon...I have been reading a lot about them being more laid back and cuddly. I love the Amazons for their size, colors and speaking abilities. I also like the idea of their outgoing personality, but I would love a bird that will be affectionate. The Mealy sounds like it has the best of everything...except the bright colors.....

My husband loves the beautiful colors on parrots and the Mealy doesn't have those, but it might better meet our needs in a bird..if that makes any sense. I would rather have the pet that is going to work best for us..not the one that has the brightest plumage...although it is beautiful to look at...kwim....
    Dawn, Mama to...
    5 Human babies
    8 Four Legged Babies
    Kenya-Congo African Grey
    Ozzy-Blue Headed Pionus

Pippin-Parrotlet
    Frodo-Senegal Parrot
    Baby-Goffin's Cockatoo

Tailfeather
    Name
    LC
    Thanks

My husband loves the beautiful colors on parrots and the Mealy doesn't have those
    I don't know anything about amazons, but a lot of birds that seem pretty "dull" in pictures actually have lots of hidden color that just doesn't show up unless you're seeing them in person. For example, meyers may not look really colorful in pictures, but each of my meyer's feathers on his wings and back are fringed in a greenish color, and while he may look greyish, he really is more of an olive color on his back.

Thanks

Yeah, I agree, the green on Amazons can be more vibrant on some parts and subtle in others. But I like more subtly colored birds, like Pionus and the smaller Amazons.

Name
    Morgan
    Thanks

My personal favourite is the red lored amazon.

Name
    Dawn
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Little Cricket View Post
    I don't know anything about amazons, but a lot of birds that seem pretty "dull" in pictures actually have lots of hidden color that just doesn't show up unless you're seeing them in person. For example, meyers may not look really colorful in pictures, but each of my meyer's feathers on his wings and back are fringed in a greenish color, and while he may look greyish, he really is more of an olive color on his back.

I know what you mean. I keep reading about Pi's as being not very colorful, but I think mine has wonderful colors on him.
    Dawn, Mama to...
    5 Human babies
    8 Four Legged Babies
    Kenya-Congo African Grey
    Ozzy-Blue Headed Pionus

Pippin-Parrotlet
    Frodo-Senegal Parrot
    Baby-Goffin's Cockatoo

Name
    Mell
    Thanks

I have never had an amazon and they are not one of the birds that attract me to them. They used to always strike me as evil looking. That was until I saw jojos Flora! I completly fell for the lilac-crowneds and am in the same spot as you, in the research stage. Except you are lucky to be able to get one next year, I will probably have to wait 6-10 years! Good luck! I would recomend going to meet some amazons at breeders or rescues first, to make sure that what the websites say is true and to see what sub species seems to click with you.

Thanks

I personally really like Orange winged Amazons, and Lilac Crowned....they are my favorite.

Name
    Dawn
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rainforest Adventures View Post
    My personal favourite is the red lored amazon.

Oh wow!!!! I have been researching these on the net and it looks like the best of both worlds! Absolutely beautiful and described as affectionate and cuddly!!! These have now moved to the top of my list!!!
    Dawn, Mama to...
    5 Human babies
    8 Four Legged Babies
    Kenya-Congo African Grey
    Ozzy-Blue Headed Pionus

Pippin-Parrotlet
    Frodo-Senegal Parrot
    Baby-Goffin's Cockatoo

Name
    Dawn
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Albe View Post
    I have never had an amazon and they are not one of the birds that attract me to them. They used to always strike me as evil looking. That was until I saw jojos Flora! I completly fell for the lilac-crowneds and am in the same spot as you, in the research stage. Except you are lucky to be able to get one next year, I will probably have to wait 6-10 years! Good luck! I would recomend going to meet some amazons at breeders or rescues first, to make sure that what the websites say is true and to see what sub species seems to click with you.

6-10 years??!! Yikes!! That's a long time to wait! LOL I hope you're able to get one before then! I would love to jump right out and get one now, but I want to take my time and research and get the right bird. I also want some more time with Ozzy being the "only parrot"...LOL
    Dawn, Mama to...
    5 Human babies
    8 Four Legged Babies
    Kenya-Congo African Grey
    Ozzy-Blue Headed Pionus

Pippin-Parrotlet
    Frodo-Senegal Parrot
    Baby-Goffin's Cockatoo

Name
    Dawn
    Thanks

I saw a rare color mutation of the Red Lored Amazons. They were mostly bright yellow with red on the head and under the wings and some green on the tail. Incredible looking!!!! With an incredible price tag....$25,000.00!!!!!!
    Dawn, Mama to...
    5 Human babies
    8 Four Legged Babies
    Kenya-Congo African Grey
    Ozzy-Blue Headed Pionus

Pippin-Parrotlet
    Frodo-Senegal Parrot
    Baby-Goffin's Cockatoo

Thanks

You should check out "Blue" Yellow napeds! Those are also cool.

Name
    Joanna
    Thanks

Yeah, Mealy Amazons have developed a reputation for being a "green moluccan" and they've certainly earned it, but they're not THAT cuddly! Benny's really sweet. Theyre not supposed to be good talkers, but Ben never shuts up! He's hysterical. They're also supposed to be pretty mellow and quiet, and Ben missed that memo too. Flora's just really sweet and patient and friendly. A LOT calmer than Benny. She has a good vocabulary, but no one would ever believe me because I'm the only one who ever seems to hear he speak any thing other than "HI!!". She has this little feminine singsong voice that is soooo cute when she talks! And she's such a good girl. When I had to give her antibiotic injections, she was such an angel, one time she got ahold of my finger while I was injecting her and I thought it was gonna have to be reattached, but to my surprise she didn't even bite down, she was so gentle. OK well that's enough of my raving.

Here's a thread with pics of my guys: http://www.tailfeathersnetwork.com/c...ad.php?t=52278

Mealys do have a dusty appearance to them (hence the name, "mealy," like flour) but on his wings he's got the blue and red and black that's so pretty. I dont have a good picture of it because when I see it he's usually moving pretty fast! Those giant red eyes make up for everything, even the bites.

Name
    Joanna
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sunbirdx View Post
    You should check out "Blue" Yellow napeds! Those are also cool.
    Those are sooo beautiful. They look like the color o blue popsicles.

Name
    Dawn
    Thanks

I never knew there were so many color mutations out there! Some of them are stunning!

Jojo-Well, Pi's aren't supposed to be good talkers, but Ozzy is imitating sounds and whistles, says "good boy" and today, he said "hello". We've only had him a couple weeks!!!!!!! I can totally see how each bird is different. Oh, your birds are gorgeous!!! I can tell it's going to be a really tough call when it comes time for me to make the final decision on which bird to get. I am so glad I am starting to research now because it's gonna take me at least a year to make up my mind!!!!
    Dawn, Mama to...
    5 Human babies
    8 Four Legged Babies
    Kenya-Congo African Grey
    Ozzy-Blue Headed Pionus

Pippin-Parrotlet
    Frodo-Senegal Parrot
    Baby-Goffin's Cockatoo

Name
    Mell
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Quiverful View Post
    6-10 years??!! Yikes!! That's a long time to wait! LOL I hope you're able to get one before then! I would love to jump right out and get one now, but I want to take my time and research and get the right bird. I also want some more time with Ozzy being the "only parrot"...LOL
    Actually I don't mind waiting that long. i don't plan on getting any bird bigger than a lovebird before I move out (6-10 years) because I don't think I could get any of my family members to to feed it while I was away, they are scared of my lovebirds beaks! And anyway that leaves me tons of time to research, and in a couple of years I will start driving so then I can visit birds at a bird rescue that is near me, but not near enough to get my mom to drive me to all the time. When i get a bigger bird I want to get a rescue one (prefrably over 20, I don't want any of my birds to outlive me), so i will need all that time to prepare myself anyway!

Name
    Dawn
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Albe View Post
    Actually I don't mind waiting that long. i don't plan on getting any bird bigger than a lovebird before I move out (6-10 years) because I don't think I could get any of my family members to to feed it while I was away, they are scared of my lovebirds beaks! And anyway that leaves me tons of time to research, and in a couple of years I will start driving so then I can visit birds at a bird rescue that is near me, but not near enough to get my mom to drive me to all the time. When i get a bigger bird I want to get a rescue one (prefrably over 20, I don't want any of my birds to outlive me), so i will need all that time to prepare myself anyway!

That makes a lot of sense! I didn't realize you were so young! LOL Your posts are very mature!
    Dawn, Mama to...
    5 Human babies
    8 Four Legged Babies
    Kenya-Congo African Grey
    Ozzy-Blue Headed Pionus

Pippin-Parrotlet
    Frodo-Senegal Parrot
    Baby-Goffin's Cockatoo