Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Suspisious Symptoms

Name
    Rhiannon
    Thanks

Suspisious Symptoms

My female American budgie (which I have no idea how old she is) has had a few peculiar symptoms the past few days. She has been molting, but when I went up to her one day, she was missing a patch of feathers on the top of her head (a bald spot about the size of my pinkie fingernail.) I didn't notice anything else other than that, so I left it at that. Well the next day, the bald spot was covered in "pinfeathers" or whatever they're called. I was happy to see that they were growing back, so I thought that it was some sort of abnormal molt thing. But then I noticed that she has some smeared poop around her vent. It is sort of hard to see in there so I'm not really sure if there is anything else going on in that area. Other than that she has acted perfectly normal. She is eating and making noise as usual. What could be the cause of this? Are they related problems or not? Also, I have another budgie and an African grey. Should I quarantine her from them (they do not live in the same cage, but the two budgies are in the same room.)
    **I realize that she should see a vet as soon as possible, but we do not have an avian vetranarian in my area. It is also 10:00 at night, so I need to wait until tomorrow afternoon (after school) to get ahold of the only one in my town that takes birds.**
    Thank you for any comments.

Speaker of the house (the chatty one) Tailfeather Duddles's Avatar
    Name
    Duddles
    Thanks

Re: Suspisious Symptoms

I think it's strange that she had a bare spot. Are you sure it was absolutely bare? How big was this bare spot? It oculd be that somethin is irritating her.

As for the dirty vent, that may or may not be a cause for alarm. Sometimes, a poop will get stuck, and it's nothing to worry about, but if this is a chronic problem, or if her poops are abnormal and that's why they are sticking, get her to your vet ASAP. Here's a link describing when it might be OK to have a dirty vent, temporarily. Take a look, and let us know how your bird's vent looks after you've read it - compare to what other people describe.
    pub98.ezboard.com/fthecoc...=108.topic

Good luck.

Name
    Rhiannon
    Thanks

Re: Suspisious Symptoms

oops ... i pressed new topic instead of add reply! Its ... I don't know back in the health forum

Remove Ads