Tailfeathers
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thanks

Wrecked cars = Grrrr

I am so angry at the moment. About four months ago I got in a fairly bad car accident where the other person ran a red and hit me. That totalled off my beautiful CRV and then a month later I get a pretty little black Nissan... wellllll this morning when I was rushing out the door to one of my finals I notice my mirror was broken off... At first I thought it wasn't too bad but then soon realized my door, bumper and front side panel had a HUGE gash in it... and the side panel was dented severely. SO MY BRAND NEW CAR has over 1000 dollars worth of damage. I am soooo upset. Ive only had this car for 2 months!!!!!!!!! At least I can still drive my Nissan. But seeing that it was a hit and run I am going to be stuck with the repair costs. (the Nissan is a 2000 model so not brand new)

Sorry for my rant. I am just so depressed about the whole thing.

Hatching
    Name
    Sara
    Thanks

Re: Wrecked cars = Grrrr

aw im so sorry about this! i seriously cannot understand why people do that? i wish that someone would do that to them and see how they feel! gah i have always promised myself that i would ALWAYS leave my information if i ever hit a car. ugh people anger me somtimes.. and poor you! your the one who has to deal with this. gah i hope that somehow theres a way that you can find who did this.

Thank You Cara!!

Name
    Kathy
    Thanks

Be sure to check with your car insurance regarding the coverage...I had a similar thing happen to my then new car. Hit and run in the parking lot.......people saw it happen but no one thought to get the license. Anyway my insurance did cover it.

Of course it all depends on your policy but it never hurts to ask.

Kathy

return to real life Tailfeather
    Thanks

Ah, that sucks! I agree, your insurance may cover it.

Think before typing Tailfeather
    Thanks

Oh, that does stink - happened to me once, but not to that extent - woke up the next morning to see the mirror swiped off. Nothing a little duct tape couldn't fix!

Thanks

not only does it bite, it ends up being a major inconvenience. we're coming up on 4 weeks since my son hit my car, and i still don't have it back. if you can afford the 1000, i wouldn't even bother putting it thru insurance..... once you pay your deductible (typically 500), it wouldn't make much sense.

Moderator Tailfeather Community Moderator notredamebird's Avatar
    Name
    Danielle
    Thanks

I agree, check your insurance. You may be covered.

What the other person did was dorky. Probably they were uninsured or afriad of a hike in their rates. Nonetheless, it's wrong.
    Atrus---Wesley---Tolkien
    Catherine---Lúthien---Elwing---Tipti

Crazy for Conures & Poi's Teenager Stephie's Avatar
    Name
    Stephanie
    Thanks

I think what this person did is the reason insurance companies rates are so high.

I would never/could never do that in a million years. I would most definitely leave my contact information.

I'm so sorry you're the victim of a hit and run!!

Name
    Aggy
    Thanks

That's too bad you have to go through the frustration of a hit and run. People can be so inconsiderate. I've had two, but luckily I got the plate number of the 2nd one and his insurance paid up. I was hoping he would be arrested, but we couldn't prove the owner of the car was the driver. I hope someone comes forward so you are not stuck with the bill. Good luck.

Booger, Max, Molly & Tallulah

Life is short, just smile Hatched! Maryacr's Avatar
    Name
    Mary
    Thanks

Needless to say this person has "no" morals. I am a firm believer of what goes around comes around, and to bad you don't know who it is so you can watch. Hope it all works out.

Thanks

I was thinking of putting it through insurance BUT I just had an accident early January which was my fault. Which it shouldn't have been and that is still making me angry. Anyway my insurance is really high as it is and I don't want it going any higher.

I found out that its going to be a lot more than 1000 dollars to fix it. I'm just so sick about it. My friend is a mechanic, not an auto body mechanic but he still knows his stuff, he said he could help me out. I figure I can fix the mirror for now, the door isn't THAT bad, so some touch up paint to prevent rust. And the GINORMOUS dent can be pulled out, eventually the whole panel will have to be replaced but for a temporary fix until I can afford something else that will do.

This is my car, the damage continues along to the bumper. And the reflections are horrible because it was bright and all snowy.

Breeding
    Thanks

wait, you're in Canada, so wouldn't that mean that a 'not-at-fault' accident means no rise to your insurance?
    In Manitoba here, the only way insurance rates rise is if the accident is deemed your fault. And even then they don't really rise until you get to your second (you just loose merits on your license, which looses your discount on your insurance. The insurance rate itself does not rise).
    You should be able to pay your deductible and that's it, and no points to your license, or rise in rates. Or at least I believe so.

That also, from the looks of it, is going to need a new quarter panel. Unless they can pop it out a bit more than it looks like now, and Bondo it smooth, either way if you're just paying your deductible, I would attempt to get them to replace it, not fix it. You don't want the pain of dealing with a crappy bondo job.

Name
    Kathy
    Thanks

I don't know how it works it Canada.......but I know when was victim of a hit and run under similar circumstances, I reported it to the police, and the insurance accepted it. All I had to pay was my deductible. My insurance rates did not go up. But this is in the US...

Look into what the affect would be on your rates.....a phone call won't hurt.

Best of Luck!

Kathy

Name
    Hillari
    Thanks

Yuck that sucks. You could at least call your insurance company and see IF they could do anything? My car is a 2001 and I've had it since 2005. It's been hit SIX times, all of them not my fault.

Looks like you have as good of luck as I do. That sucks about your CRV, I like those. Sorry to hear the bad news!

"Loss is nothing else but change, and change is Nature's delight."
    -
    Marcus Aurelius

Proud mum of; Penny the Linnie, Tegan the BCC

Sweet Peas Mom Egg's Cracking...
    Name
    Nita
    Thanks

AT least you are ok. IN 2003 my daughter minding her own business, driving home, was hit by a drunk driver... alive today, on the mend..

Moderator Tailfeather Community Moderator notredamebird's Avatar
    Name
    Danielle
    Thanks

I would still put it through insurance. Your rates may not go up, and if you are looking at well over 1000 in body work, the hike may still put you out ahead.

Also, from what Greg said you might be alright--no rate hike at all maybe?
    Atrus---Wesley---Tolkien
    Catherine---Lúthien---Elwing---Tipti

Thanks

Well, the same thing happened to my brothers car in another city and in order to go through insurance they would hike his rates. But I thought I would call anyway and see what they can do for me, and they said I would have a 0% raise in my insurance. So therefore I would just have to pay the deductible. Whats weird is my brother and I have the same insurance company. Although his car was damaged and stuff years ago and the policy might have changed. Either way I only have to pay 500 dollars. Although it would have been nice to not have to deal with this at all.

The whole thing is just making me sick. I mean I don't know anyone who would be capable of a hit and run. Maybe they might get scared and take off, but they would definitely report it. Because chances are the police are going to let you off easy if you call in the next day or something. Grrr. Thanks everyone for listening to my rants and such.

Life is short, just smile Hatched! Maryacr's Avatar
    Name
    Mary
    Thanks

Well I am happy that you didn't get the news that your rate would sky high...
    and even though $500 is alot still it's better than what it was before. Weird about how your insurance is the same as your brothers and he got screwed. Maybe rules have changed...
    oh well. Happy it's slowly coming together.