where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Safe Spray?

Name
    Nicole
    Thanks

Safe Spray?

I am looking for a common, simple spray that eliminates odors and leaves a fresh scent that is safe for my fids. For example, something like Fabreeze but to be able to spray it in the same room as my birds. I won't be using it to clean their cages, just to make the room smell a bit better.

Is there anything out there like this?

Tailfeather
    Thanks

Re: Safe Spray?

No. There really isn't any safe spray. I use diluted 100% natural vanilla (not extract)(approx 1:20 parts with water) but it may stain fabrics, use with caution. You could boil water, and soak orange peels,cinnamon sticks, strain and use that liquid too. But again it may stain.
    I mix baking soda with cinnamon(1tsp cinn. with 1cup soda) sprinkle on carpets, let sit for 1/2 hour then vacuum.This could be used on upholstery, but again may stain, so test first.
    All my upholstery is dark, so I use these methods.

Surrounded by people who love life, you love it too;
    surrounded by people who don't, you don't.
    ~Mignon McLaughlin

Tailfeather
    Name
    LC
    Thanks

Baking soda absorbs odors, and apparently so does charcoal. I'm going to be trying both, my room is smelling a bit ratty...

Poop off is safe around birds and has a nice smell... Not really something you would spray though.

Tailfeather
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sunbirdx View Post
    Fresh-wave products are really good, they are all natural and only use essential oils.
    Essential oils are not safe around birds, and many are not safe for us!

As posted by Emery:
    Here's some info I thought I'd add about essential oils:

"The fragrances are a mixture of volatile (essential) oils. The majority of these oils can cause either stimulation or depression of the central nervous system, as well as possible irritation to the eyes, nose and upper respiratory tract, depending on the oil and concentration used. Birds are very susceptible to the effects of inhaled volatile toxins, including essential oils."
    Tea tree oil is very toxic to parrots, just a warning in case anyone uses it.

If you have used them with no problems thats great. I will not risk it. Not all smokers get cancer either.
    Last edited by ~Lori~; 04-23-2008 at 03:16 AM.

~Mignon McLaughlin

Tailfeather
    Thanks

This is from Land of Vos website

AIR FRESHENERS
    *There have been numerous reports of serious toxicity and even death of parrots exposed to "essential oils" so their use should be avoided around birds.

Most scented candles should not be used in the air space of parrots. Unscented beeswax candles that contain no chemical additives are safe.

*The use of air fresheners is dangerous to parrots. Rather than freshen the air, they contaminate it with a synthetic fragrance, coat nasal passages with an undetectable oil film, or diminish your sense of smell with a nerve deadening agent. Some contain paradichlorobenzene, an organochlorine that can cause liver and nerve damage. The only way to really freshen the air is to open windows and circulate fresh air with a fan or air conditioner. Here are some safe ways to make the air in our homes more fragrant.

*Set out a dish of cut lemons or baking soda to absorb odors.

*Simmer on the stovetop or in a slow cooker: water, slices of ginger, and spices such as cinnamon, cloves, allspice, vanilla and almond extracts. This also increases humidity in dry heated homes during Winter. Never use Teflon or other non-stick cookware or kettles for simmering.

*Stick whole cloves into an orange, grapefruit or lemon and place near heater or air conditioner cold air return vent.

*Decorative containers of cloves and cinnamon sticks can be set in areas where fragrance will be appreciated..

*Fill a saucer with vanilla extract and place near the air intake register of air conditioning or heating system.

*Fill a spray bottle with a pint of water and a tablespoon of vanilla extract. Use as a room air freshener spray to eliminate cooking and pet odors.

*To keep pet areas fragrant, keep an open box of baking soda, a bowl of charcoal, or cotton balls dipped in vanilla extract nearby and out of the reach of children and pets.

*Many plants are said to freshen indoor air. The best known of these is the "air plant" or Spider plant.

~Mignon McLaughlin

Thanks

hi - i'll post this link again, cuz NOK OUT has an odour eliminator, too - it's a canadian website, which is why i'm posting it. i have never tried it, but the description of it intrigues me completely. i will be getting some soon.......

http://www.parrotdiseperch.com/parro....php?prod=1681

Tailfeather
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sunbirdx View Post
    Okay, if you boil cinnamon, cloves, ginger etc. etc., you are releasing the ESSENTIAL OILS! That is why it smells. Duh.

No actually you don't. Extruding the oils out of cinnamon, etc is a process, and simmering does not release the high concentration you get in sprays, candles. But you do what you want, I will go with what the experts say. The "duh" was uncalled for,thanks.

Cedar wood/oil is an respiratory irritant for most small animals, including birds.
    If I saw a complete ingredient list for Freshwave products I may reconsider, but the fact is most things labeled "essential oil" are not 100% pure, and there are no regulations in place to ensure they are.
    Last edited by ~Lori~; 04-23-2008 at 02:52 PM.

~Mignon McLaughlin

Tailfeather
    Thanks

Perhaps, but I would still like a complete ingredient list before I used their products. In the Beauty industry we have many products that claim to be all natural, but in reality they still contain chemicals, be they to carry the product out of the bottle(sprays), or to preserve the product. And remember "all natural" does not mean safe. Tobacco,& marijuana are "all natural" but harmful.
    I prefer to use things I make, so I can be sure what exactly are in them.
    Here is a good link, talking about different opinions on this topic.
    Holistic Birds

I would warn you against the products that contains the cedarwood though.
    And as I said, I do not use " vanilla extract", it is not usually real, many extracts are artificial. If you read any extract (orange, almond, vanilla, etc) they are made of natural and artificial flavours. Extracts are diluted oils, usually contain about 20% pure oils and the rest are additives. But the 100% natural extracts are safe(use alcohol to extract the oils) , and more costly.
    Real vanilla is vanilla beans and vodka(I make it). When sprayed the vodka evaporates quickly. And it is only 1 tsp vanilla in approx. 1 cup water.
    Some oils are safe if pure and in the proper concentration for birds. But not all are safe for birds. Just be careful to research the oils.
    Last edited by ~Lori~; 04-23-2008 at 03:48 PM.

~Mignon McLaughlin

Tailfeather
    Thanks

Eating a nut is far different than inhaling the oils. We are talking the respiratory health here. Not eating a toxic substance. Cedar shavings are not toxic to animals by eating them either, but mess with their respiratory system.

These cedars are dangerous to birds specifically:
    CEDAR - Thuja, Chamaecyparis, Cupressus

~Mignon McLaughlin

Four More Babies Hatched! Jojo's zoo's Avatar
    Name
    Joanna
    Thanks

Oy Vey. Sarin, the answer is NO. Find out where the smell is coming from and clean it with a mixture of half water, half white vinegar. Works just as well as poop off and is very inexpensive.

Name
    Nicole
    Thanks

Haha thanks Joanna. That's what I usually use for cleaning my bird cages, guess I'll just stick with it.

Tailfeather
    Thanks

Sorry if it seems like we are arguing.
    I just like to present information backing my opinions. So anyone reading can make informed decisions.
    When a product says non-toxic or pet safe, they mean if the animal ingests it. I am worried about them breathing it. Feel free to write to Fresh Waves. I did. They can assure me that "none of the Fresh Wave products are known to be toxic to any animal." I asked if they could guarantee their products were safe for bird's sensitive respiratory system. This was the answer.
    With our birds we must think about their sensitive airways.

Believe me, I love scented things too, and would love a safe room spray, scented candles, etc. So these products interested me too. BUT "not known to be toxic" is not assurance enough for me, like saying none have died.....yet that we know of. I will not risk my birds!!

~Mignon McLaughlin

Brand New Egg
    Name
    shivali
    Thanks

Hi! i know this is an old thread but i think its a classic topic...
    I love natural scents etc and have also struggled with this.
    Since Vanilla is a food extract, I am wondering if other baking extracts are safe as a smell- coconut, almond, orange. if they are natural. Also nice smelly things that are used in baking like Rose Water (only contains roses and water) and orange blossom water.
    I was thinking not to spray or diffuse vanilla / extracts but put it on some sola wood flowers in a small vase, similar to a cross between diffuser and potpourri.
    Im sure if i put vanilla on it it will be fine. also thought about mixing vanilla with fractionated coconut oil as a "reed" diffuser. the coconut oil is just a carrier and doest really diffuse. Not sure about other scents, does anyone have any ideas or thoughts? The parakeet food i buy my bird actually has orange oil in it i just found out. That is the ingredient of orange extract, so Im thinking it must be ok?
    THe other idea i had was a homemade "potpourri", a bowl of things like cinnamon sticks, cloves or clove studded oranges, with all natural dried fruits and flowers like rose petals, orange, star anise, lavender, chamomile, and maybe some sola wood etc, and maybe even spray it with some vanilla extract or something? it wouldnt be super strong but just having a bowl here and there might help. My issue is my birdie sleeps in my bedroom and in the summer its hot and musty in the morning and i like to open the windows- but there are sparrows nesting right outside and she gets territorial and upset hearing them chirp. LOL!!
    until i take her downstairs im craving a little fresh scent in the morning...
    Any thoughts?? Thanks!

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,303 Times in 1,302 Posts

I did a google search and found this website.....organic aromas. organicaromas.com

The title of article : Is it safe to use essential oils around birds? It looks like this was a blog so there are many replies. I did not read them, just the original post. I think this will answer your questions and even more possibilities. I am going to bookmark it for future use! Excellent info!!