Tailfeathers
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thanks

diary of a brand new linnie owner....

wednesday - drove 45 minutes to meet her for the first time. HOLY COW! can she get ANY cuter??? brought her home, and quietly introduced her to her new home.

thursday - lifted cover off her house in the morning. shhhh - what's that sound? it's HER! she's so quiet! OH MY GOD! can she get ANY cuter??? came home from work, sniggled with her - she's timid and wriggly, but i know she'll get better. re-arranged her house to help her climb better - she's still not agile and is quite clumsy. pictures do NOT do linnies justice.

friday - listened to her little warbling - she eats like a PIG! she likes apple, and boings GOOD GOLLY! can she get ANY cuter???

saturday - decide to mist her for her first time. it's true! linnies DO hang upside down when you mist them! those eyes! that colour! that face! WOW! can she get ANY cuter???

she may still be nameless, but my god, she's CUTE!

Name
    Elaine
    Thanks

Re: diary of a brand new linnie owner....

Gah! Now you're making me excited!

She sounds absolutely positively adorable. More pictures!

Click the eggs and hatchlings!

The ferretlady Teenager wolfysluv's Avatar
    Name
    Wolfy
    Thanks

Wow they do? They hang upside down when you mist them? I can't believe she's not scared of it. How very cool.
    She warbles? Ut uh! How neat.
    She wiggles? Pip wiggles a lot too. He is a baby like your linnie and still unstable on his feet. He loves cuddles, but as soon as you stop, he wiggles and runs away. Is that what you mean?
    Well, anyway, this is a GREAT thread. Thank you, I can't wait to live vicariously though you. lol.

Name
    Mary
    Thanks

She sounds so... CUTE!
    Mary, Cosmo, Kaylaur, Perry & Tyler, and Spaz (temporary foster). And we can't forget the furry kids Pepper & Chewy!

Name
    Jodi
    Thanks

Any new photos or stories to share perhaps? ;0)
    RIP Kokomo...May 30th, 2009...Forever in my heart
    RIP Kiwi.........Jan. 7th, 2012....Part of our family for 9 years and so missed

First Baby Hatched! parrotsRmyLove's Avatar
    Name
    Sue
    Thanks

I cannot wait to see more pictures. Linnies are quite unique. I am glad you are enjoying her so much. I am surprised the kids have not named her yet.

Thanks

okay, so journal writing is not my strongpoint.......

sue, i can't believe they haven't named her yet either, but she still is nameless. i have made a list of names, and they can either add to it, or choose one. i call her cutie-pie, but that is not a name i can give her permanently.

i do have a couple of questions, tho - she is young (born march 2) - she is still quite clumsy moving around - is this normal? when i say clumsy, perhaps it is more related to how her house is set up (i should take a pic of it, i guess, eh?) than her abilities to get around. she is flighted - when i picked her up last week, she didn't have great flying skills. she needs to be clipped. where she is in my house right now has way too many dangers high up (not to mention cathedral ceilings). i was waiting for her to "perfect" her flying skills before clipping. clipping will,however, be done this week.

as far as "tameness" goes - she has no fear of our hands in her house, which is a big plus. i go to her house and talk to her, she moves right up toward me and starts eating (her food is at the front of the cage)..... so i guess that's another positive.

now the question - how soon can i start "taming" her - stepping up, etc? she is not very stable on her feet - she can, obviously, perch, but she is much happier on a rope perch than a wood one. she has, however, chosen a smaller wood perch as her spot to sleep. i am going to hang a bottomless hut in there (with a perch across the bottom) to make her cozy.

what is the best method to tame? right now, we bring her out gently with our hands and sniggle her. she is a wriggle worm that wants to fly away..... once we get her settled her on us, she [I]may[I] decide to stay, or she may decide to flee. we have never brought in a baby before - so i'm not sure what to expect?