where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Brand New Egg
    Name
    nibbler
    Thanks

Old cockatiel with long-growing beak

I have an old cockatiel. About 15 years old I think. He's blind now too. Sad little guy.

His beak has been growing. It's really long now. The center part is curling around. I'm concerned that it may grow too far around. Scary.

I'll try to post a pic sometime.

But is it possible to clip his beak? I was thinking maybe with dog toe nail clippers. I don't really want to go to the vet, but I don't want to mess his beak up.

He is able to eat ok. I have a parakeet that looks after him too. A nurse keet. : It's good that this old guy has the keet though.

What do I do?

This guy has got to be in his last days. He just sits around on the bottom of the cage all day. I didn't want to do anything before because I thought it would traumatize him. Now I'm worried what will happen if the beak continues curling around. The middle part is grown so far that I think I could snip it myself probably. But I'm not sure. I've done toenails before, but this is a little more serious.

Crazy for Conures & Poi's Teenager Stephie's Avatar
    Name
    Stephanie
    Thanks

Re: Old cockatiel with long-growing beak

No definitely do not clip his beak with dog toe nail clippers. There are a lot of nerve endings in beaks, you need to take him to a vet to have his beak trimmed to avoid causing damage.

Name
    Maria
    Thanks

I had a parakeet that developed cataracs (sp?) in both eyes. During his last days he spent most of his time playing with a toy on the floor of his cage.

In regards to his beak, don't clip it. As the previous post said, a parrot's beak has many nerve endings. Take him to the vet. :-)

Brand New Egg
    Name
    nibbler
    Thanks

Ok. I got a pic.

I guess the thing that concerns me is all of a sudden this long beak just appeared. And now it's longer than it was. I'm concerned it's going to grow into his throat.

Are there really nerves that far down into his beak? I cringe when I think of snipping the beak, but then I look at it. Maybe I could cut it so it's only going down to the lower beak. Just a little bit so it's not going beneath his lower beak.

How difficult is that for a vet? Cause I'm thinking they're probalby just going to snip the beak anyway. Although I'm not an expert and I don't know.

He does have cuttle bones, but... Yeah. He stopped preening awhile ago too. He's all ratty looking now. Then he gets this long beak thing growing.

It's still not safe to snip off a little piece down on the end? Has anyone here every trimmed their bird's beak?

Name
    Elaine
    Thanks

That is a severely overgrown beak. I would suggest taking him to a vet right away. It may be because he's getting older but a suddenly longer beak (especially to that extent) may have an underlying cause. I would suggest having your vet take bloodwork and fecal smears (can't rmeember what it could be the cause of... liver?)

Click the eggs and hatchlings!

Name
    Mell
    Thanks

I am pretty sure that vets use a special grinder.Over grown beaks can mean problems with the liver and some other bad things to. If there is an underlying problem then getting antibiotics could save his life and maybe this could be the reason for him going blind.

Name
    Alison
    Thanks

Yes, he should go to the vet for a beak trim. I know someone who tried to clip his budgie's beak himself and the bird bled to death

How does he eat with it that long?

Name
    Stephanie
    Thanks

awww poor little guy - you definitely need to take him to the vet. I agree with previous posts saying there could be an underlying problem to his suddenly overgrown beak.

The vet's office uses a dremel with what almost looks like a pumice stone on the end. I don't know if you know what a dremel is, but it looks like a small drill. It makes a lot of noise, but when I took my black capped conure in to get his beak trimmed, he did not get too freaked out about it.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    nibbler
    Thanks

I'm cheap. I don't want to pay the vet $100+ for this. I'm still thinking I can trim it myself. That long part. Just leave it long anyway. This bird is old. He's lived a good life for a bird.

His beak has been growing long for awhile. I noticed it was really long around December. Then I was surprised to see it was even longer now.

He's been blind for years. He had several "strokes" apparently. He goes limp and makes weird chirping sounds. That hasn't happened, that I know of, for a long time. At least six months.

He's just old.

He eats fine. No problems. I've seen him. Seeds must go in the sides of his mouth. His dips his head into the food. I give them bread too and he eats that. There is also his "nurse" parakeet who feeds him. If he wants food, that parakeet is always watching, always ready to feed him. Very weird parakeet that way. It will even try feed other birds who don't want food.

And this cockatiel can bite. I found that out the hard way. He never learned how to bite. But he nipped me pretty hard with the side of his beak the other day. The side is sharp.

Someone here must have done a little beak trimming themself or seen the vet do it. I doubt there are nerves that far out on the beak. I held some other birds up to the sunligh and you can see lines where the nerves might be. This cockatiel has a darker colorer beak, so the light wouldn't shine through as much.

I know what a dremmel tool is. I don't have one though. I would really hesitate to use a power tool on a bird.

I'm still thinking about those dog toenail clippers. I doubt there's a blood line all the way down to this bird's beak that far. If I snip off the very end, then I'll know. I don't want to traumize this guy too much. I imagine a power tool would scare him a lot more than nail clippers.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    nibbler
    Thanks

http://www.dog-supplies-advisor.com/...-trimming.html

This stuff is what I was thinking of using. I just don't know how tough a bird beak is.

If I snip at the very end of that long beak, I can find out though. I'm guessing it's like a fingernail. It must be soft enough that a bird can grind their own beak down from cuttle bones and things.

Name
    Alison
    Thanks

I doubt it would cost $100. Several of us have told you multiple times you should see a vet; you are not trained to do this. I wasn't joking when I said my co-worker killed his budgie by clipping his beak at home.

I feel sorry for your poor bird.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    nibbler
    Thanks

I found these threads...
    http://www.tailfeathersnetwork.com/c...ight=beak+trim
    http://burgebirdservices.homestead.com/beaks.html

I have a pet store nearby I might call. It's big. They have everything and tons of bird stuff.

A few of these threads said beak trimming was $21. If it's that, I might go that direction then.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    nibbler
    Thanks

If it's a liver problem though, that's going to be very expensive. This guy has to be in his last year or two. I can't imagine giving him medication, etc. is going to help him much if that is the problem.

Name
    Stephanie
    Thanks

I'm going to keep my personal opinions out of this post because they are not nice. Not by any means.

You've come here for advice - you were advised to take him to the vet. It cost me $21 to get my birds beak trimmed...is that too much?

There is something called a quick that runs down the beak and the nails of birds. If you cut the quick your bird can bleed to death.

I seriously hope you do not trim his beak yourself - you could do more harm than good.

If you will not give this bird the medical attention it needs, then maybe you should look into giving this guy up for adoption.

Name
    Lori
    Thanks

[QUOTE=nibbler;489183]I'm cheap. I don't want to pay the vet $100+ for this. I'm still thinking I can trim it myself. That long part. Just leave it long anyway. This bird is old. He's lived a good life for a bird. /QUOTE]

I really hope your kids don't feel this way towards you once you get old and have lived a good life for a parent. Maybe you don't think it's comparable, but wow....that's a harsh statement to make about a family pet.

Tailfeather
    Name
    LC
    Thanks

Wow, this is really upsetting me. Not to be rude, but how can you look at that bird and say he has a good life? I don't understand how a beak can get THAT overgrown without you noticing before hand. Why the heck didn't you take care of it back in December?

You CAN NOT just cut it. Beaks have a vein in them, which most likely runs right down your poor birds beak. Cutting it would result in a ton of bleeding. A vet will trim it down, but it will probably not be something that can be done all at once because the vein needs time to move back. Not only would it be painful for you to cut it, but it will probably kill him to bleed that much.

Getting it trimmed is not going to cost $100, or anywhere near that.

And for the record, cuttle bones don't grind down beaks. They're soft, they do nothing. Birds need wood to chew in order to keep their beaks a proper length.

This is really sickening.

Edit to add: when people say a "trim" they don't mean chopping off the bird beak to the right length. In every case I've seen/heard about, the beak is ground down, and with such an overgrown beak, it will probably take a few times to get it to the right length without hitting a nerve.
    Last edited by Little Cricket; 04-30-2008 at 07:56 PM.

Name
    Stephanie
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nibbler View Post
    I found these threads...
    http://burgebirdservices.homestead.com/beaks.html

I have a pet store nearby I might call. It's big. They have everything and tons of bird stuff.

A few of these threads said beak trimming was $21. If it's that, I might go that direction then.

Wow, did you not read anything from the threads you linked to?

The first one was my thread I started because my bird has scissor beak, which means his bottom beak grows at an angle so it does not fit in his top beak. I did mention that my vet only charged $21 for a beak trimming, but your birds beak is abnormally long, and due to his age and eyesight there might be an underlying problem.

The second thread was about trying to find out how to keep a slighly longer beak from getting overgrown - to the point your birds are at.

The 3rd link is the same as the 2nd - someone is asking if their bird's beak looks too long, but if it was as long as yours, they wouldn't have had to ask!!!

Even the 4th link mentions that liver problems could be an underlying reason for overgrown beaks.

You really need to read what you link to before citing it as backing for your decision!

I have to say that your comments really disturbed me. I feel so bad for your cockatiel and I hope and pray you take him to get medical help very soon. At the very least, you could get his beak trimmed PROFESSIONALLY and not do it yourself.
    Last edited by Stephie; 04-30-2008 at 08:10 PM. Reason: forgot to comment on 4th link

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Yogi
    Thanks

Dollars to donuts your bird has fatty liver disease. Rapid growth of the beak is one of the first signs. This bird is beyond your help . He needs a vet. Birds cost money. Any pet does. Remember that if you cant afford vet bills. ----Yogi
    Sinbad--Nanday Conure
    Ollie-----Patagonian Conure
    Rocco---Gold Capped Conure
    Bingo----Quaker 1994-2007
    Tucson--White Capped Pionus
    Swinger-Senegal
    Carly-----Pearl Tiel
    Indy------IRN

Name
    Sara
    Thanks

I agree if you are willing to risk hurting or killing the poor old bird to save a penny then give him to a rescue centre, it's no joke to be suffering, how do you know how far the nerves go down are you an avian vet?

Name
    Debby
    Thanks

Ummmm, sstupid person. Listen to what you are being told.....PLEASE.

Red-tailed hawk Five Eggs Laid!
    Thanks

For real. Seriously. Not trying to be rude, but that's infuriating.

Queen of her Flock Parent Sun_angel00's Avatar
    Name
    Cheryl
    Thanks

Also no on mentions that you can split the beak in half, lengthwise up to his nose. if you to it wrong, causing un nessary extreme amount of pain to the bird, and ulitmately death.

He has liver problems and he needs medical attention. It's is obvious he is sick (sitting on the bottom of the cage, overgrown beak) He needs to see a vet.
    "I will lend to you, a Bird", God said, "and teach you all you have to do. And when I call him back to heaven, you will know he loved you too."

Name
    Debby
    Thanks

Does anybody know the outcome of this bird. Did the owner take it to the vet? I sincerely hope this person found the heart to have it treated properly

Thanks

Hey guys, I know everyone was just concerned for the health of this Tiel but I think this went a bit too far. Now the person is probably ticked off, not coming back on, and most likely isn't going to take the bird to the vet....

If the owner is out there, I do think it would be best if you took the bird to the vet or rehomed him so someone else will pay the bill and make him better. Although he is old, he is still a bird and can do nothing about his condition and still feels pain and sickness. If you live anywhere in AZ I would help out either through adoption or could recommend a good groomer (not expensive).
    She was not quite what you would call refined. She was not quite what you would call unrefined. She was the kind of person that keeps a parrot. ~Mark Twain
    Owned by:
    2 Sun Conures
    1 Nanday Conure (rescue, looking for new home)
    1 Cinnamon Green Cheek
    2 Quakers (one is Pied!)
    7 Cockatiels
    *RIP Budda, my Cockatiel*

BirdKrazy.com

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Alicia
    Thanks

I know everyone has already said it but you really need to take it to a vet. A hundred dollars is nothing compared to what you might have to pay for it in the future.

My vet bills alone for both my cockatiels have added up to over $700 for the past 15 years. But its well worth it to have them medically treated properly. Both my older cockatiels are so heathy right now that people mistake them for being babys. And they are both over 15 years old.