Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do your birds get along?

Amorous Tailfeather
    Thanks

How do your birds get along?

Perfect! A squeaky-clean new section to post my question in!!

I was just curious as to how your different flock members get along. Mine aren't really fond of eachother. Maxi especially is a loner, he is either chasing the other birds or being chased by them! Tegan and Tyr get along every now and then, but for the most part they are competing for my attention!!

Here they are bickering

Then the next second they are preening?

But it's always Tegan preening Try, I guess because Tyrael is dominant.

And Tegan likes eyeballs and eyelashes for some reason...he's a creeper

Tailfeather
    Name
    LC
    Thanks

Re: How do your birds get along?

I don't let my guys together. When Milo was a baby I took him and Cricket into the shower, and they didn't really pay attention to each other, but Milo has jumped on Cricket's cage a few times and they're tried to attack through the bars, so I'm way too nervous to introduce them! Milo also chases my dog and ties to bite her, which makes me even more nervous to intro him to any of the birds.

Amorous Tailfeather
    Thanks

Thats kinda funny about the dog LC, even though a bit scary! Tyrael HATES fuzzy pets for some reason. He loves to chase cats, and I used to have a mouse I handfed as a baby, and he hated her too! He also hates my aunts hamsters, he tries to attack anything with fur!

Tailfeather
    Name
    LC
    Thanks

My poor dog doesn't know how to react. One time Milo jumped to the ground and was running after her, and I put my hand down to stop him but just got bit, and I told my dog to get out of the room and she just stood their. I had to pick her up and carry her out before I could get Milo off the floor! The dog won't even look at the birds, which is pretty funny too.

First Baby Hatched! parrotsRmyLove's Avatar
    Name
    Sue
    Thanks

My birds do not get along with each other at all. Rocky my linnie wants to be friendly with the others but they want no part of him.
    I would love nothing more than to be able to put a community play stand together for them to socialize but I am sure someone would be toe-less.

Red-tailed hawk Five Eggs Laid!
    Thanks

Yellow and Cheerio - well... they get into little fights, but they get along - they don't ever hurt one another, but they argue like an old married couple. It's mainly because Cheerio is the typical male and ADORES Yellow to the point that he drives her nuts, and sometimes she has to show him who's boss.

And Beau - she hangs out more with us than the budgies, although she is kept in the same room with them. If she happens to be on top of her cage when the budgies are out, and her cage door is open, the budgies tend to invade her cage and annoy her. If they get close to her (especially Cheerio) she'll threaten him with her beak, but it's mainly to try to intimidate him into leaving her alone. :P

So... they get along, kinda - they tolerate each other - but they aren't all best friends.

Thanks

my four smaller ones chill together.... do they get along? depends on the day... biko is learning bad habits from sally, and will go after the budgies, but then they'll all hang out together in the play cage. as you can see in my avatar, sally and biko have bonded, but they don't sleep together.

kito is a big oaf that just wants to fit in - like the kid in school that is 5 times bigger than the other kids, so is an outcast (i feel so sorry for him when he's trying to go into the playcage - he looks so big)..... sally and kito have had confrontations - not good. we've had to pry them apart - i know kito would kill her, but not without first losing a foot to that lovie beak.

indie hasn't met them yet - she talks to the budgies from the other room. i've shown her to the birds - but they scare each other. not sure how the amalgamation will go.

Name
    Patty
    Thanks

Kiwi and Mango don't really get along... Kiwi is scared of Mango and any time Mango gets close she will hiss and try to scare her away. Mango is friendly, she wants to play with Kiwi and chases her sometimes to try to get to her but Kiwi just runs away...

Their cages are next to each other and they both play and hang out on top of the cages... they connect with a rope perch. So they are always pretty close to each other and they tolerate that. For the most part, Mango has realized that Kiwi wants nothing to do with her... and she is okay with that (I think).

I do get them in the shower together and even though they're so close together, they keep to themselves in the shower because they are more focused on the water more than anything.

and they also "get along" when they're both chowing down...

But it would be my dream if they got along like these two:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=84RTenG7rDM

Queen of her Flock Parent Sun_angel00's Avatar
    Name
    Cheryl
    Thanks

And Tegan likes eyeballs and eyelashes for some reason...he's a creeper
    LMAO that is so funny!!!

Mine get along good:

Everything they do:

whether it is bathing

or foraging

or napping

or looking out the window...

or preening the dog...

They all bicker but get along for the most part!
    "I will lend to you, a Bird", God said, "and teach you all you have to do. And when I call him back to heaven, you will know he loved you too."

Proud Parront Fledgeling Kellie's Avatar
    Name
    Kellie
    Thanks

Mine do pretty well... the lovebirds took some time to tolerate each other but over a few years went from strangers, to roomates to crazy baby makin birdies. The trouble was always my brownhead and the lovebirds. I eventually got him to tolerate them but we did have a one time accident when Alfie landed on Logans cage. Alfie was fine but still has a scar from the crack he got on his beak. But after some more work, Logan now lets Alfie come steal his food (because apperently pellets only taste good from someone elses bowl).

My Evils Egg's Cracking... AvianMom's Avatar
    Name
    Jani
    Thanks

My tiels and doves get along great. Never any fighting between them. My goffins and IRN however are BOTH loners. They want nothing to do with any other bird. Both WILL chase anyone off whatever cage theyre on top off. Jaden has the worst jealousy problem ive seen tho. He even chases the dog away when he wants me to himself

Name
    Bonnie
    Thanks

I have 3 male tiels a 1 male budgie, and none of them are actually "friends" persay. The budgie lost his mate a few months ago, and has since tried to make friends with the tiels but he mostly just follows them around trying to learn their language. It's kind of sad to watch

My youngest tiel is just a big goober, he's constantly following the other two around singing in their faces, ninja preening, and flirting with them. You'd think he'd get along great with the budgie but... no.

They have a communal play cage and never go after each other, but they don't really pay attention to each other either. I wish they would! If they learned they could preen each other, they wouldn't have to beg for scritches all the time

Moderator Tailfeather Community Moderator notredamebird's Avatar
    Name
    Danielle
    Thanks

My four tiels get along very well. Wesley and Tolkien mostly ignore the tiels and the tiels ignore them. They generally only react in negative ways: Tolkien hates it when they fly (too scary?), and Wesley will kick them out of his way.

Tolkien and Wesley don't get along. They come out together, usually, and will tolerate each other's presence. But they don't touch, don't preen, don't play. Wesley will charge at T. and move her out of the way if he decides she's too close. Tolkien seems to want to be friends, but has given up. And she is a bit vindicate: she believes, deep in her heart, that all pointed bird tails are for pulling, and she stalks the long-tailed birds for an opportunity. She's gotten somewhat cleverer and faster lately, striking lightening fast, so occasionally the joke is on Wesley.
    Atrus---Wesley---Tolkien
    Catherine---Lúthien---Elwing---Tipti

Name
    Pauline
    Thanks

Last edited by berger23; 05-25-2008 at 08:17 AM.
    Stan ( came home with me April 2006, RIP 3rd June 2008 ) you will never be forgotten, Im so sorry

Scooter ( came home with me May 2007) Ill look after you now

Gizmo ma orange winged amazon ( came home with me 26 May 2008 )

Name
    Shayna
    Thanks

Toivo and Timo adored eachother from the moment they met. I brought Timo into the room and Toivo starting grinning and singing and when I had them together on my arm, Toivo was watching Timo the whole time looking at him the same way he looks at me and and singing to him. Timo was a little nervous at first, but now they both adore one another. Toivo was pals with my old Budgie, Taru, too lol.

cant say its been that way for all my birds though, Isko and Torie were in love, they could not bear to be seperated(Torie actually died only weeks after we lost Isko), but we also had a 3rd at the time, Tweety, she had to be kept in a different cage a few feet away, she was a rescue, some college student stuck her in a tiny cage in the back of a closet and ignored her. my dad rescued the poor thing but she was so traumatized that she would not let people or other birds anywhere near her Casey and Blue were both single birds, but we got Casey from my dads co-worker because she didnt get along with his other birds. Blue was never around other birds though, so I dunno.
    Shayna and the Prairie Clan critters

Remove Ads