where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Help Please !!

Tammy Brand New Egg
    Name
    tammy
    Thanks

Help Please !!

I need some help Please !! My friend has a Budgie that has boils (large pimples) with white heads on them on both of his legs. She has called Vets and they seem not to know or just not care. Has anyone heard of this or can someone put a name to it ? I'd really like to put her mind at ease, as he is her only child.

Jazzy-Jazz & Tango, too! Hatching ConureMama's Avatar
    Name
    Laurie
    Thanks

Re: Help Please !!

I don't know anything about budgies, but whatever it is, it sounds like that bird does need a vet ASAP! Make sure that you call an avian-certified vet- there are lots of links to various sites on here that list them: http://www.birdsnways.com/birds/vets.htm
    There might be a better site for an avian vet look-up, but I thought I'd at least start you out with that. Also, if it's something that may worsen overnight, there are some emergency vets that also have an avian vet on staff.

P.S. Just because a vet will see a bird does NOT mean they are avian-certified! Make sure you ask if you're not sure! The place she called doesn't sound like it probably is!

!!!
    ~Laurie, Jasper, & Tango

Name
    Kerry
    Thanks

Sounds like feather cysts...ingrown feathers. This does need to be taken care of because more feathers will try and grow in the same follicle and the lump will get bigger and bigger and bigger. It is a fairly common problem and can also reoccur in the same area. It can be lanced and cleaned out at home,***BUT*** if you are not totally adept at properly holding a bird you should let a vet take care of this problem. A fresh razor blade in the wrong hands could get really ugly.

Where The Birds Always Sing Tailfeather Birdmad Girl's Avatar
    Name
    Lee-Anne
    Thanks

Tammy.

I agree with the above, you really need to track down an avian vet to solve the problem. If you have any troubke locating your nearest one we can try to help you find one.

Please keep us posted.

Remove Ads