Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Pluckers Diet?

Name
    Ryann
    Thanks

Arrow Pluckers Diet?

Hi everyone. I'm feeling a little stressed, anxious, and extremely worried about Ozzy. I come here to seek some helpful advice and maybe a little comfort from knowledgable birds owners whom I have counted on in the past..

my male Lutino Ozzy has been plucking his feathers out. he is plucking underneath his wings and on his legs. I took him to the vet last week. My vet said Ozzy may be plucking bc of his all seed. [I give them seeds and pellets, but of course they favor seeds]. Though, he could be plucking because of numerous things, zinc poising (i removed all his toys with cheap metal), or internal problems. Of course, I would need to do a blood test to be sure of the cause, but I dont want to do that JUST yet. Ozzy and Indie (my other tiel) don't eat any veggies. I know they need veggies, but he wont go near them. neither of my tiels will. I have tried. the only thing Ozzy has tried is sweet potato and eggs. and even when I offer it to him, he wont take it, even if he liked it the first time. I've tried hanging veggies in the cage, putting them in their seeds, cooking birdie breads, eating veggies WITH them, and no luck. I have grown tired of wasting food, one month after the next. anyway, Dr. told me we would start him on anti-biotics and an anti-itch oral medicine. my vet and I ruled out anything stress-related.

It's been about a week now into his medicine. I've caught him plucking once or twice, but not nearly as much. its very little! I'm hoping that is progress. its killing me to see him even preen himself.. I just brace myself for the sound of his little screams.

I have been searching endlessly online for a solution to his diet. well, both my tiels diets. Because I'm afraid as soon as he's finished with his medicine, he will just start plucking ALL over again bc of his diet. I read somewhere about a "pluckers diet", seeds/sprout mixes with LESS preservatives. Is there even such a thing? what brands? website? Much appreciated.

-Ryann
    Ozzy & Indie

Red-tailed hawk Five Eggs Laid!
    Thanks

Re: Pluckers Diet?

Sorry, I can't say I have answers - just that I'd like to keep an eye on this thread, since Beau is a plucker. We have recently switched her to fruity Zupreem, which went over really well. I do, though, have the problem when offering her things like veggies. She's very picky - she's more likely to try something if it's yellow - I've figured out that's her favorite color because 1) she eats the yellow banana-flavored pellets first and 2) she adores corn.

As to getting her to try other things, though... I offer them to her, but she doesn't really seem interested in those things.

Are you sure that it's your bird's diet? Are there any other things which might be stressing him out? Diet could very well be it - just trying to rule things out.

Yeah... I know how those little screams are - ugh - I hate hearing them. I would consider any kind of improvement to be progress, so if he is plucking less, that's a good thing. I do hope, though, that he doesn't continue after he's done with his medicine - like you said.

I hate to say that I can't really give you answers, though, because for Beau, I think it was more of a behavioral thing, caused by her past. As she has gotten more trusting of us, her plucking has gotten a lot better too, even though she still does it now and then. So yeah - my situation is different.

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

BirD-elicious company makes a seed mix for feathers and for hormonal pluckers, they also make a liquid to spray on them made out of herbs, this is a GREAT company that makes amazing food for fids. This is the sites link: http://www.passiontreehouse.com/

I know yeast infections like Candida and Megabacteria can make a bird itchy and pluck as well and so could Zinc. If it could be Zinc they need to be treated with chealating meds to get the zinc out of their bodies and antibotics would not get the zinc out. If your bird is on antibotics you need to get some benabac as well because it will keep the good flora up in their guts so they do not come down with a yeast infection. If its yeast then they can actually only eat seeds and grains and NO fruits or high carb foods. Did your vet check his poop for candida? Its hard to find because it isnt always shed but you can see more yeast then normal in their poop if the vet knows what to look for.
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Name
    Ryann
    Thanks

Answer or not, i still appreciate your input RedFeather! i hope you can find a solution for Beau;s plucking!

Oh perfect! thank you Boomergirl! I will check into that food. and pick up some benebac!

Quote Originally Posted by boomer girl View Post
    Did your vet check his poop for candida? Its hard to find because it isnt always shed but you can see more yeast then normal in their poop if the vet knows what to look for.
    No, my vet did not check for that. However, she did mention that his plucking may also be from zinc poisoning. As soon as I got home from the vet that day i removed those cheap metals. I will be doing further tests if his plucking does not stop, thats for sure. Thank you!!!
    Ozzy & Indie

~*New Featherd Friends*~ Brand New Egg lorettab's Avatar
    Name
    loretta
    Thanks

Oh I feel your pain...I am going through that right now and all of a sudden with Jenni, strange thing is I had to give her a trial separation from Jo because he plucked all her head feathers off, hes NEVER acted like that before!
    I don't know if it was a coincidence that he did it to her and she is plucking herself all of a sudden too.
    At any rate, I took her to the vet and she wants her off seed, but the vet said she is doing it b.c she is itchy, her skin is too dry. She advised me to make sure she has lots of baths, spray her allot and also to put her in the bathroom after a hot shower so she can spend time in the mist.

One thing I am going to try tomorrow is something I read on a Parrot site. It seems Aloe when applied topically is excellent for pluckers, whether it be from dry skin or physiological. I have pure aloe juice I am going to mix with her spray bottle water and try it. This is an excellent article, here is the link. GOOD LUCK!!
    http://www.landofvos.com/articles/kitchen5.html
    ~*LorettaB*~
    Please Teach me

Name
    Liz
    Thanks

I have 2 tiels that are pluckers, I was told by my vet to mist them with aloe water, (as Loretta suggested) I keep a spray bottle with this mixture all the time and mist them daily. This seems to really help. They still pluck but not near as much. Also my vet said that during a molt (he seen them while they were in a molt) they will need to have plenty of protien in their diet. If there is a shortage of protien they will pluck out the new feathers as they are 88% protien, and eat the feather shaft. I am not an expert by a long shot, but this is my 2 cents worth.. Hope your little fid feels better soon.

Name
    Sue
    Thanks

what type of aloe do you mix with the water? is it a certain kind?

Name
    Ryann
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lorettab View Post
    She advised me to make sure she has lots of baths, spray her allot and also to put her in the bathroom after a hot shower so she can spend time in the mist.

One thing I am going to try tomorrow is something I read on a Parrot site. It seems Aloe when applied topically is excellent for pluckers, whether it be from dry skin or physiological. I have pure aloe juice I am going to mix with her spray bottle water and try it. This is an excellent article, here is the link. GOOD LUCK!!
    http://www.landofvos.com/articles/kitchen5.html
    Aww! poor Jenni!! how has she been doing since you've been using the aloe juice? That is actually a GREAT idea! I can almost be certain Ozzy is itchy from his all seed diet. it actually makes perfect sense. I will have to try that!!!! Thank you so much. Goodluck with Jenni as well. Thanks for the advice lorettab and Lizzi!
    Ozzy & Indie

Name
    Ryann
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TobysMoms View Post
    what type of aloe do you mix with the water? is it a certain kind?
    George's Aloe Spray
    Last edited by rydunnit; 06-01-2008 at 03:33 PM.
    Ozzy & Indie

Bella's Personal Maid Moulting elfhome's Avatar
    Name
    Katie
    Thanks

Aloe Gel by Beth Lulinski, R.D. and Cathy Kapica, Ph.D., R.D.

Aloe, a popular houseplant, has a long history as a multipurpose folk remedy. Commonly known as Aloe vera, the plant can be separated into two basic products: gel and latex. Aloe vera gel is the leaf pulp or mucilage, a thin clear jelly-like substance obtained from the parenchymal tissue that makes up the inner portion of the leaves...

.... For pharmaceutical use as a laxative, the juice is often dried to produce "aloe" granules that are dark brown from exposure to air. The terms "gel" and "juice" are not clearly defined by manufacturers and often are confused by consumers.

The mechanical separation process is not always complete, so aloe latex can be found in some aloe gels. It is desirable to make the gel as pure as possible, because aloe latex contains the anthraquinone glycosides aloin A and B, which are potent laxatives...