Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Discovered wound.

custom title lol Brand New Egg
    Name
    Alex
    Thanks

Discovered wound.

Hello-

I have a near 2-year-old cockatiel named Boomer. This past Sunday I discovered at the bottom of the cage what appeared to be blood. We took a good look at him but apparently we didn't see anything. At first we thought it was him eating a berry and the resulting stool since there were a few in the seeds we gave him. So we thought nothing of it. And he was his fine, normal self, cheerfully talking and being active.

Fast forward to this Tuesday evening, I decided to take him out to spend some time with him when I discovered on the lower part of his back and to the right a scary bit of dried blood. It wasn't bleeding at the time I discovered it, but it definitely explained the blood I found Sunday morning. So me and my mom poured some hydrogen peroxide on the wound. A bit of the dried up blood washed away but it did not re-open the wound. He picked at the wound a couple times but stopped doing it, and ive checked several times thus far and he hasn't been going there. Right now he is in front of the hall mirror talking to his reflection, that being his normal self. Oh, and we removed a feeder that had a metal wire for a hanger which was sticking out. We suspect thats how he hurt himself.

I was wondering if I could get some advice. Should I keep pouring hydrogen peroxide?

Thanks

Re: Discovered wound.

Well, I'm glad Boomer is okay. I don't think it's anything to worry about if he's not picking it. I wouldn't do any more hydrogen peroxide.

Welcome to TF, by the way. Make yourself at home.
    "Questions open the door to knowledge."

Name
    Alex
    Thanks

Im taking him to the vet, he keeps picking at the wound and he is sitting puffed up. Its also obvious he is in pain.

Name
    Crystal
    Thanks

Please let us know how he's doing.
    I hope that he'll be fine and to his old self soon.

Name
    Alex
    Thanks

I hope so too. Still waiting on the doctor right now. We looked around the cage, and that metal hook isn't the cause of his injury because there wasn't any blood anywhere around that area. We looked all around the cage to find where he could seriously injure himself but couldn't find any. My parents and I are absolutely baffled, just a random and spontaneous injury out of the blue that makes no sense!

I just hope the doc can do something to him because my mom is very attached to Boomer, and if he goes its going to be devastating to us. Almost 2 years ago we lost an older cockatiel named Eric that we had for 11 years.

Name
    Alison
    Thanks

I'm glad you're taking him to the vet; I hope s/he can get to the bottom of it.

Please keep us posted, we are sending happy thoughts to you, your mom and Boomer

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Aurora_Boreas View Post
    Im taking him to the vet, he keeps picking at the wound and he is sitting puffed up. Its also obvious he is in pain.
    Good call.

Thanks

I hope so too. Still waiting on the doctor right now. We looked around the cage, and that metal hook isn't the cause of his injury because there wasn't any blood anywhere around that area. We looked all around the cage to find where he could seriously injure himself but couldn't find any. My parents and I are absolutely baffled, just a random and spontaneous injury out of the blue that makes no sense!

I just hope the doc can do something to him because my mom is very attached to Boomer, and if he goes its going to be devastating to us. Almost 2 years ago we lost an older cockatiel named Eric that we had for 11 years.
    I hope it wasn't self-inflicted. It doesn't sound like he's in mortal danger.

Red-tailed hawk Five Eggs Laid!
    Thanks

It's still possible. You know how when you cut yourself and sometimes it takes a few seconds to bleed, and how there is no blood on the item that cut you? He could have been snagged by the hooked thing while he was going elsewhere, say, to a perch or something - and ended up perching somewhere else before the blood actually ended up somewhere.

I'd keep an eye out for anything like that in his cage that might have poked him, nonetheless. I'd keep an eye on him in general, but that's obvious advice, considering you seem to be the type who has common sense with their bird, anyway.

So far, it doesn't sound like a serious injury, and since you're taking him to the vet, he should be fine.

Name
    Alex
    Thanks

Well here's the deal, it turned out to be some sort of cyst, possibly from a broken feather since there was nowhere inside the cage he could have gotten himself cut (this cage has had a previous occupant for many years, one who goes ALL AROUND the cage). The doc cleaned the wound and gave him a shot of some antibiotic. He also gave us about 2 weeks worth of antibiotic to be administered twice a day. Doc also said to keep an eye on him and if it gets worse or doesn't improve then he may need surgery, so here's hoping the antibiotics will pull through. He also has a cone around his head to keep him from picking the wound, and its pissing him off!

Anyway I never really had any experiences like this, so im hoping he will take his administered antibiotic like he should and improve. The doc gave us a syringe and told us to inject it to the side of his beak. Dont know how that will work since he is fidgety as hell when you handle him. Im also wondering how he will be able to sleep with that cone around his neck.

As usual any advice is very welcome. Ill keep you updated. In the meantime ill introduce myself somewhere else.
    Last edited by Aurora_Boreas; 05-21-2008 at 04:03 PM.

Name
    Alison
    Thanks

Awwww, poor guy But it sounds very treatable.

Someone on here posted really helpful advice about how to give meds w/a syringe... I meant to bookmark it myself, for future reference. You could try doing a search... I think it was about a month ago. HTH

I'm sending happy thoughts out to Boomer for a quick, full recovery

Name
    Alex
    Thanks

Well Boomer is being quite ridiculous. He is able to eat, but wont. He went to the feeder a few times, ate a couple of seeds and was discouraged by the cone. Its not preventing him from eating, he just gives up after taking a couple of seeds. Oh, he wants to eat, I know he's hungry cus he saw me when I brought over the container of seeds and looked at it with great interest, but apparently he's unable to compute in his little head that its still ok to eat with the cone on! We have a plan in place that if he doesn't eat tomorrow morning were going to take that cone off so that he can eat.

How long is too long? His silly fast is making me worried.

Thanks

Give him a plate of food and bring him out. Don't make him struggle to eat out of a dish with any depth.

Name
    Alex
    Thanks

He's doing ok now, we've had to remove the cone so that he could eat, an then put him back on because im not sure if he's smart enough to not go around poking where he shouldnt be. Right now for dinner its off and he's preening himself and staying away from the cyst except to clean the surrounding feathers. The cyst appears to be diminishing. Im felling relieved now.

Thanks

Good, good! Glad to hear that it's healing.