Tailfeathers
Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Welcome to the new General Bird Talk forum! What is this forum for? Check here!

Your friendly admin! Tailfeather Community Administrator Dan's Avatar
    Name
    Daniel
    Thanks

Welcome to the new General Bird Talk forum! What is this forum for? Check here!

Welcome to the new General Bird Talk forum!

This forum is for general bird topics that do not fit in one of the specific species forums below; it is pretty much for all the bird threads that today normally get posted in General Discussion. Both more lighthearted as well as serious posts are allowed.

In addition, this forum is also for "what type of bird should I get?" type of questions, since those don't really make sense to have in a specific species forum (of course, those that have decided on a type of species and have general questions about those birds should continue to use the specific forums).

Finally, this forum is for bird pictures that do not fit in one of the other forums, such as cockatiels and some other kind of parrot (multi-species pictures that still fit under the general category of "Other Parrots" -- ie all parrots other than budgies, cockatiels, lovebirds, and conures -- should still continue to be posted there). Again this forum will catch the photo threads that have been going in General Discussion.

If you have any questions about this forum, please feel free to ask i this thread. We will try to move to this forum the most recent threads that fit the forum's criteria; however, older threads will remain where they had been originally posted.

Enjoy!
    Last edited by Dan; 05-22-2008 at 11:19 AM.

Bella's Personal Maid Moulting elfhome's Avatar
    Name
    Katie
    Thanks

Re: Welcome to the new General Bird Talk forum! What is this forum for? Check here!

Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeees! This is so cool. Now we don't feel weird posting our stories, random questions, and such in the individual bird forums, but won't clog up general discussion. Whoo hoo!

banned in support First Baby Hatched! shazzles's Avatar
    Name
    shaz
    Thanks

Re: Welcome to the new General Bird Talk forum! What is this forum for? Check here!

What a great idea dan! LOL you know how many times i have posted birdy pics in the general forum cause i have had different birds in the same pics!

alspalpenny Brand New Egg
    Name
    Penny
    Thanks

Unhappy Re: Welcome to the new General Bird Talk forum! What is this forum for? Check here!

Quote Originally Posted by elfhome View Post
    Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeees! This is so cool. Now we don't feel weird posting our stories, random questions, and such in the individual bird forums, but won't clog up general discussion. Whoo hoo!

I am trying to figure out how to do this without answering someone else's.

alspalpenny Brand New Egg
    Name
    Penny
    Thanks

I am not quite sure how to do this but I guess I'll give it my best shot. .I am a new bird mother to CHa-CHa a ten month old cockatiel who is a real challenge at times. I am trying to get as much information as possible so I can be a good bird mom.

Tailfeather
    Thanks

Hi Penny. Welcome to Tailfeathers.
    To start your own topic just click on the section you want to post in...lets use General Bird Talk as an example. So click on "General Bird Talk" then in the left corner you will see this: click on it and there you go, title and write your topic.

Surrounded by people who love life, you love it too;
    surrounded by people who don't, you don't.
    ~Mignon McLaughlin

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Hello. My name is Alex and im living in New Delhi for a parents job. I resently adopted 2 white faced cockatiels, male and female, and i was wondering if any one had any advice. they are about eight months old, and fairly well adjusted so far. they screach occasionaly, and the female shivers. I guess this is under standable cuz ive only had them for a few days. What can i do to help them settle in? i can put my hand in the cage without them running away, and occasionaly get them on my finger, though they jump off shortly after. Advice?

- Thanks

Name
    Duscine
    Thanks

I am trying to find out what to put on my birds wing. He got under my wheelchair and lost a whole chunk of feathers. He didn't bleed much but he has a bald spot about an inch by half an inch on the base of his wing. Can I put neosporen on his sore or what should I use? I hope someone can help me, I can't afford a vet even if they were open this kind of night. I am 75, in a wheelchair and he is very important to me..Thank you, Duscine

Name
    Duscine
    Thanks

What I did with mine was to move his cage over by my bed and put my hand inside and just let it rest there as much as possible. Be sure to put your hands inside the cage to change water etc. Move slowly if they seem to get upset. Then start putting some seed on your finger and offering it to them. If they won't pay attention, take food out at night and offer the food when they are hungry. Not too long if it takes a while before they are ready to take it. then when they start taking the food start moving the food up your finger so they eventually have to step on your finger to reach the food. Then slowly move it up farther until they have to stand on your hand with the food in your palm. The biggest trick is lots and lots of patience. Especially if they were not hand raised. It will be a little harder because you have two. When there is only one they need attention and if another bird is there you have to compete with it. At least that worked with mine. Now he comes and gets on my shoulder or arm and sometimes when he can't get to me he yells for me. It is just a different kind of sound. You will learn to tell the difference. but remember, patience and constant are the key. Good luck, duscine