Tailfeathers
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Name
    Victoria E.A
    Thanks

Talking The new addition. ( A bit of a story about me and my sis too)

Every so often during the spring I get brought wounded and orphaned baby animals of all sorts. This area I live in is well known for tall pines with frail old branches, rain and wind storms, as well as baby opossums that fall from great heights due to there are no low branches in some areas and little baby birds that fall out of the nest.

I have a younger sister who like most other sibling "wants to be just like older sis aka me." I tell her not to be me, I come with a lot of heart ache. I usually take in wounded/ abandon animals in a heart beat if hey are in great danger or need help due to injuries. This means owning up to vet costs, food and supplies, the passing of some animals and having to give them to the vets or release them if things get too tough.

She has learned a lesson today sadly. One I had to learn years ago. She had a baby starling she was caring for, everything was going fine for awhile. She woke today and heard "the dog scared the bird to death." She didnt hear anything though and the bird was in her room. If that is the case, then she has just learned that puppies and birdies do not mix. We warned her on this issue plenty of times. I feel bad for her, but this is sometimes the reward you get when you try to be me.

This end has a beginning though.

I wanted to update you all on that, to let you know this little bit. A neighbor had found a baby opossum down and apparently it was brought to me, yet again. I've cared for three, yet you learn something everyday. This one is a little girl and still nursing apparently, fully furred and small as a new born kitten. Her name is Stephany. It be changed due to my dad and half brother wanting to name her "Freebee" or " pausie" lol men.... I will caring for her and keeping her away from the birds. She is usually in my turtle neck collar due to it acting like a pouch.
    When I got her she was in a state a shock and didnt eat for a dy, then took a strong liking to my french vanilla shake and was doing a little better, still a bit groggy. now after a healthy meal of imfamil baby milk watered down and warmed she is starting to be more herself. She tests nips at me, crawls and climbs. Se loves to curl up in the collar.
    "Take her to the vet.." Is what I might hear from you, I am letting you this little bit. I am a great sister, a little too kind. My sister's bearded dragon was having siezures and not eating. We rushed her to the vet and paid $213.08 for the lizard. Saved it. So as of now, I do not have the cash, nor does my husband since he paid for the lizard to go, to even get food non the less go to the vet. We are hoping my sister will pay us back.

---

Tailfeather
    Name
    LC
    Thanks

Re: The new addition. ( A bit of a story about me and my sis too)

Isn't it illegal to keep native animals without a permit? Why not take the opossum to a wild life rehabber? It will be hard to release a wild animal if it's getting so used to living with people...

return to real life Tailfeather
    Thanks

Yes, I agree, it is illegal to keep native wildlife, not to mention a communicable disease risk. Why don't you bring it to a licensed wildlife rehabilitation center?

Name
    Victoria E.A
    Thanks

Because I dont have a car and cant find one hear. The last two I let go to some place I asked for updates and never even gotten a word back when I asked the vets. Yes it is illegal, there is no permits for it, but consider that snakes, lizards, bugs, frogs, bullfrogs and the sorts are illegal as well then most he little boys and girls who go catch those are breaking the laws. I'm looking into it finding places, but not a place that "claims to be" a wildlife rehab. I for one am not a law bitting citizen and have so much trouble that it doesnt bother me to be illegal a little. If I cant find a close one in my area then I can let it die or care for it, I'll care for it till I cant a respectable place, nor do I mind keeping her. XD I had called the NWLF in washington, never got a reply and the National Opossum Society who handle these critters and never got a response.

The PAWS was my first bet but the branch closest to me closed awhile back. I wonder if there is anything close, it has to be, I'm not fighting, but I dont have a job, or car or even money to gt it there myself. My family is suffering through 36 hours of being drunk and no sleep *sigh* and the gas prices will not be friendly due to the amount of driving we might have to do.

http://www.opossum.org/ The National opossum society states they have a high level of immunity to diseases.

I called the vet and asked for info on them and stuff to help. There is the autobahn (spelling it wrong I know) I called and they didnt answer and dont take messages. The last time I thought of handing an animal over they charged me $45 and decided against them due to I dont have $4 to my name non the less $45 for a small bird. They vet told me they have less diseases then cats and dogs and rats do. That is legal to care for them yourself then release them into the wild, so I am not at risk yet. I will call back tomorrow and the autobahn is open and free, its a cellphone it costs to call. We dont have house phones because my dad hates them. *sigh* I also asked for how far it was to PAWS and Wildlife image and rehab. 3 hours each, a drive I know my husband will not make.

I just got in touch with another rehab in Castle Rock. It is a bit far out, I was told autobahn KILLS coyote, grey squirrels, cotton tails and anything non native to this area. I'm not turning the little one in to them.
    Last edited by AngelVroni; 05-26-2008 at 06:04 PM.

---

Name
    Hillari
    Thanks

I don't think the audubon society kills anything, that sounds silly to me. Be careful what you do, I had a huge issue with my Fox. Since she was native and considered a pest (much like possums) it was extremely difficult to find a rehab place for her, and I ended up having to drive 500 or so miles to a tiny little place out in the middle of nowhere. Luckily, I did not get caught but the fine would have been severe.

Also- if it's kept in captivity too long it will not be releasable. The longer you keep it the less it's chances are, which means you would have to find a place willing to keep a possum for the entirety of it's life span. Which I think is not likely.

"Loss is nothing else but change, and change is Nature's delight."
    -
    Marcus Aurelius

Proud mum of; Penny the Linnie, Tegan the BCC

Thanks

Personally I think they're gross but it's cool that you're helping. I don't see any reason for us to care about the legality of it.
    "Questions open the door to knowledge."

Thanks

Because wild animals should be left wild and people should not be encouraged to pick them up and feed them vanilla shakes. There is a reason the laws are there.

Thanks

Rachel would leave it to die.

Thanks

Well, I probably would, to be honest. That is how evolution happens

Thanks

And that's the end of the conversation for me or we'll be waaaay off topic.

Name
    cryssee
    Thanks

some people are too compassionate to just leave a wounded animal left to die. i am one of those people. i know what it's like having to pay for medical bills for strays and other animals that aren't my own. i've never had to deal with a possum though, good thing too because they freak me out.

Thanks

We're all different and it's a good thing. I'm not typically compassionate towards animals besides birds so it's good someone is.

Tailfeather
    Name
    LC
    Thanks

some people are too compassionate to just leave a wounded animal left to die
    Yes, but taking an animal into your home and treating it like a pet is NOT the right thing to do. If you really care about the animal having a second chance at life, call a wildlife rehab center. Many of them will drive to you to get the animal, because they don't want people handling a possibly dangerous animal and probably because some people don't have a way to get the animal to them.

If you can't provide the proper care for a wild animal (which means getting it to a certified rehabber) then taking it into your own home is not helping it.

Animals die, it's part of life. If they all lived their whole lifespan, the world would be overrun.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Little Cricket View Post
    Animals die, it's part of life. If they all lived their whole lifespan, the world would be overrun.
    Not everyone makes the distinction between pet and wild animal. I mean we spend thousands over the lifespan of a bird on vet care.

Tailfeather
    Name
    LC
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kito109654 View Post
    Not everyone makes the distinction between pet and wild animal. I mean we spend thousands over the lifespan of a bird on vet care.
    Yes, but those are animals that we've forced to live in cages/inside and made a commitment to caring for them as best as we can to give them a full life, not wild animals that should stay in the wild and not be domesticated because someone can't get to a wild life rehabber.

Thanks

You are right. The fact still stands.

Just saying that something "should" is weird to me. Who's making the standard here? I don't see why it matters or how it makes a difference anyways.

Thanks

Well, in this case, the Law is telling people what they "should" be doing.

Tailfeather
    Name
    LC
    Thanks

The laws that are in place aren't there just because someone got bored and made them up, they are there for a reason. Obviously people SHOULD try to follow laws such as ones saying no keeping native animals in captivity, even if just to avoid the fines and such.

Name
    Shannon
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Little Cricket View Post
    Yes, but taking an animal into your home and treating it like a pet is NOT the right thing to do. If you really care about the animal having a second chance at life, call a wildlife rehab center. Many of them will drive to you to get the animal, because they don't want people handling a possibly dangerous animal and probably because some people don't have a way to get the animal to them.

If you can't provide the proper care for a wild animal (which means getting it to a certified rehabber) then taking it into your own home is not helping it.

You're not being fair. She's trying to find a wild life center to take it, and has not been successful so far. It IS possible to take a wild animal in, raise, and set it free to be on its own successfully. If she's willing to take on the responsibility of caring for it, then I see nothing wrong.

When I was 12 my family and I lived in a rural area. While my dad was cutting the grass one day, he ran over a rabbit den without realizing it. One of the babies got cut up pretty bad, and no one would take it to care for it. We couldn't do anything, and it was in a lot of pain, so he put it out of its misery. There was a second rabbit that was not injured, and was abandoned by its mom. We couldn't get any organization to take it because it wasn't a rare or endangered species, so we decided to raise it. We didn't handle it much, only when necessary. We raised it for a month or two, and once it was old enough we released it out side of our house (there were acres of empty space next to it. The rabbit survived at least a few years on its own, and even had a family. It would actually come to the house when my mom would call it (she called it baby bunny), but never got close.

It is possible to re-release it if the situation is handled properly. My only complaint is that the girl spends too much time with it. It should only be handled when necessary.

Name
    Hillari
    Thanks

Honestly the best thing to do would have been to leave it, to let nature take it's course. Same with my fox, but did I? No of course not, I couldn't. No way.

However, I agree with LC in that taking it into your home and treating is like a pet is asking for way more trouble in the long run. What do you plan to do with it when it's a full grown adult? It's easy to make a distinction between wild animals and pets because wild animals require a heck of a lot different care. Example? If I had wanted to keep Jasmine I would have had to have a huge pen with a fence that went at least 5 ft into the ground, and was at least 12ft tall or more, with a covered top. And they don't behave like what we define as "pets". Certain animals do well with our restrictions, some do not. I just don't see this going anywhere good.

In re to not caring about what the "law" says. Well, thats not something to disregard. If Fish and Game would have found me with Jasmine I would have got slapped with a huge fine, possibly put in jail, had all my licenses pulled, and the would have taken her and euthanized her. It's not something to shrug a shoulder at, trust me.

"Loss is nothing else but change, and change is Nature's delight."
    -
    Marcus Aurelius

Proud mum of; Penny the Linnie, Tegan the BCC

Thanks

Well, I agree, I have been in the same position. My mothers dog once brought home a baby Gamble's quail chick, all chewed up. No bird sanctuaries would take it because they were overcrowded, so I just put it in an aviary alone, with chicken feed. The bird was TERRIFIED of humans, and I made sure she stayed that way. Eventually (about 6 months later), a male started hanging out near her aviary and trying to get at her through the bars. We just left the door open one day, and she left with her suitor!

Now, what I did was totally illegal, the bird is a native species and protected by the migratory bird act. But I did the best I could to keep her as wild and natural as possible. Most people don't have that kind of luxury, and so animals end up inside homes, being raised by humans on inappropriate foods and imprinting on humans. Then they are released and die, or are confiscated and killed.

Name
    Sarah
    Thanks

I just want to let you know, that if they find out you have this baby, they will take it away and they will euthanize it.

I myself was raising a baby raccoon last year.. she was around 3 weeks old when I got her.. and she got to be a handful by the time she was 4 months old, so I took her to a sanctuary up north (drove 6 hours). The lady there said I was lucky I hadn't been caught, that not only would I have suffered a fine, but the baby would have lost her life.
    While it is fun to raise these little guys.. it should be left to professionals, that know how to raise them without causing them to bond to the human.

If you really want to raise something, contact your local pound/vet office/rescue and let them know you can hand raise orphaned kittens. It's a lot easier, and definitely legal.

Name
    Victoria E.A
    Thanks

Just hold on. Let me back you all up before somebody gets me roughed wrong.

1.) I didnt bring the creature home my dad did.
    2.) I did call around, nobody is willing to drive 3 hours out to get it. Thats a lot of gass.
    3.) I'm doing as I was instructed by a rehab to care for it. It will be released,
    4.) I know the difference between a pet and a rehab animal.
    5.) Do I have a choice? I have no transportation or job or money.
    6.) This has been my curse in the family, ALL of my family drops off animals for me to care of, wanted or not.
    7.) so much for support lol.

I have two choices. I can kill it here and now myself or rehab and let it go. I dont want it for a pet. It is NOT a pet.

Who ever mentioned they wont kill them read this page.
    http://www.audubonportland.org/wildl...ies/Non-native

Many of the animals found roaming free in Oregon do not belong here. Some wildlife, such as Rock Doves (city pigeons), Starlings, House Sparrows, nutria, opossums, Fox Squirrels, and Eastern Grey Squirrels, have been introduced from other places and become established in Oregon.

The Wildlife Care Center does not accept non-native, exotic, or domestic animals for the following reasons:

Introduced species compete with and reduce the numbers of native wildlife, are ecologically harmful, and can carry diseases contagious to native species. While it may not be immediately apparent, the decision to return an introduced species to the wild is oftentimes a decision to destroy the native wildlife that already inhabits that area. For example the introduction of nutria (a large South American rodent) to a wetland can make an entire wetland uninhabitable for other bank-dwelling wildlife (otters, muskrats, beavers, etc.). Starlings and House Sparrows are fierce competitors with many native species including Western Bluebirds, wrens and swallows.

"# If you find an injured or orphaned non-native species, you can care for it yourself, take it to a veterinarian (please expect to pay for services), or you can contact the Wildlife Care Center for further advice. If you choose to leave a non-native species at the Wildlife Care Center, it will be humanely euthanized. "

---

Name
    Victoria E.A
    Thanks

Well there you have it. Look its my dad's house, if he gets caught, he is paying for it. He brought it in. He doesnt think kindly of me and we have fought over things till he got abusive. My husband is paying for its needs and I dont ant to hurt anymore. I will care for it and then set it loose in the not far from here. Not everybody has the money, job, and life to simply go driving for 3 hours and back and turn it in. I am doing what I can with what I have. I think I've either upset somebody or am about to be flamed, thank you all for the support if there was any. Try being broke and transportation less and hear all this. XD Non of them are willing to drive 3 hours out to the house. Sorry for sharing my good deed for the day....

---