where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Too much egg laying

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Jackie
    Thanks

Too much egg laying

I have two budgies; a female (Victoria) and a male (Phillippe). The female is about four years old and started laying eggs this year. The problem is that she is constantly cycling through episodes of laying eggs and I am worried that this will wear her out. I've done everything I can thing of to discourage them (lengthening the time they are covered at night to 12-13 hours, removing toys that might encourage the male (mirrors), reducing the amount of food, etc) but nothing seems to work. Does anyone have any additional suggestions? I am not interested in breeding them. I've provided oyster shells and eggfood for Victoria in hopes of replenishing supplies lost when she lays eggs. They also have a cuddle bone and a mineral block. She basically ignores the eggfood but will feed on the rest (the oyster shells more than anything else).

Victoria becomes extremely friendly when she is laying eggs, climbing all over me. As well, she chews anything she can get her beak on. She also likes to climb into anything she can find. I assume that this is in search of a nesting area. Is this normal behaviour?
    Jackie

Administrator Tailfeather Community Administrator
    Name
    Marie
    Thanks

Re: Too much egg laying

When she lays the eggs, do you remove them? Or leave them for her?

Also, remove anything nesty - paper she could shred, nest boxes, houses, beds etc.

I can't think of anything else, but i'm sure a breeder or someone who has had the same problem will stop by soon!

Live, Love, Laugh! ♥ Hatching kassidyb's Avatar
    Name
    Kassidy
    Thanks

Maybe these two links can help:
    http://www.tailfeathersnetwork.com/b...cegglaying.php
    http://www.tailfeathersnetwork.com/b.../egglaying.php
    Do you have any other budgies in with her?

If you take them out every time she lays them, you should leave them in there. This may be the reason she keeps laying them. Some females replace their eggs just as fast as you take them away, so try leaving them in there for a couple weeks. You can even replace them with some fake eggs if you like, but do it when she isn't around.

Hope this helps!

Kassidy

Hatching
    Name
    robin
    Thanks

is she in a nest box? if so- remove it and anything she can make a nest in.
    Hi, I'm Robin

Name
    Mary
    Thanks

I have similar issues with my Cosmo - she lays every 3 mos like clockwork. I don't have any additional tips to offer, but am replying so that I can be subscribed to this thread.
    Mary, Cosmo, Kaylaur, Perry & Tyler, and Spaz (temporary foster). And we can't forget the furry kids Pepper & Chewy!

Name
    Sandra
    Thanks

I don't have any budgies but most of what I've read about any birds laying eggs is that if you take away the eggs that have been laid, your girl will lay more. I know that one can buy fake eggs to replace the real ones with. The parents will give up sitting on the eggs after a certain time if they don't hatch & hopefully they won't lay more.

I believe one poster also suggested boiling the eggs laid & putting them back or replacing new eggs with them. I know that there are laying/moulting/egg supplements available in pet shops here in the U.S. so I'm assuming that there must also be in the U.K. I hope you have good luck with whichever approach you decide to take.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    beckie
    Thanks

we had a compulsive layer - she first began laying when she was five years old after taking a fancy to one of our male budgies, and continued to do so almost every month for the next three years.

my vet tried absolutely everything, even down to injecting her to try and balance her hormones.

we reduced the light she received, removed her from the room that the males were in (this is why i now keep my male and female flocks in different rooms of the house), tried leaving the eggs, swapping the eggs for marbles, and removing the eggs.

we tried a change of diet for her also, offered other distractions, but none of this worked.

we sadly never managed to find the cause of her constant laying, sometimes she would strain trying to lay and there would not even be an egg, she just had an "urge" - the vet discovered this following one of her three prolapses when he checked for eggs and tumours but neither was apparent.the vet eventually putting it down to a psychological problem.

she did remain with us until eight year old, at which point when she had her third prolapse, we decided it was only fair to put her to sleep.

however we have got two hens still with us who were also terrible for laying (at one point the three of them would go and hide in our wicker drawers and we would find eggs laid all over the place!!!), since removing these two hens from the same room as the cocks (these two were younger at the time - about two year old) neither of them has since laid an egg (touch wood), they have been away from the cocks now for around two years.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Frannie
    Thanks

I have a kind of similar problem. Ive had my Budgies Larry and Bianca for about 3 yrs and she has just laid 13 eggs, 5 hatched yesterday and Im worried that if more hatch she may not be able to cope. I wasnt breeding them - it just happened and I dont know what to do - should I take the extra eggs out and what if they are about to hatch??? I feel awful thinking there could be babies in there and Im killing them but if they all hatch, they could die too. Can any one help me with what I should be doing?? I just hope she will stop laying now. She is doing a great job with the 5 so far!!!

Name
    Kassidy
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Frannie View Post
    I have a kind of similar problem. Ive had my Budgies Larry and Bianca for about 3 yrs and she has just lais 13 eggs, 5 hatched yesterday and Im worried that if more hatch she may not be abel to cope. I wasnt breeding them - it just happened and I dont know what to do - should I take the extra eggs out and what if they are about to hatch??? I feel awful thinking there could be babies in there and Im killing them but if they all hatch, they could die too. Casn any one help me with what I should be doing??
    I'm not trying to be mean, but you really should have prevented this from happening from the beginning. I mean, you're bound to end up with eggs and babies if you have had a male and female together for 3 years so how did it 'just happen'?

13 eggs, wow. That is a lot, has she laid before or are they first time parents? Are you sure 5 hatched in one day? I don't even think that is possible. Eggs should be laid every other day and hatch about 18 days after being laid in the same order they were laid if they are fertile.

I'm not very experienced with breeding, maybe I could refer you to the professionals if you'd like. I don't think I am certified to be giving you the best answers here, so PM me if you would like to know where to ask for more answers.

Are they being laid in a nestbox or are they in a different spot? If they are in a nestbox, then why did you say you were not breeding them. It would be helpful to know any more information you can give me. Do you have any other budgies that are raising a clutch right now? I can't be much help unless you provide more info.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Frannie
    Thanks

Ive never had birds before and I only took them so they didnt get separated as they were going to be given to a pet shop and I didnt want that to happen, and I just thought that seeing as they had been together all this time and nothing happened that nothing ever would (after almost 5 yrs together). they laid the eggs in the bottom of the cage under the straw and paper I have in there and in all honesty I didnt know what to do. I went on holidays for a week and came back to 13 eggs and all 5 hatched within 24 hrs, Ive been checking them every day (my birds are inside in my lounge and always have been) and on sat there were no babies and on sunday there were 4 and today there was 5!!!! someone told me they probably wouldnt hatch and not to worry about it too much. The budgies are both about 5 yrs old, so thats quite old isnt it??? Im not trying to do the worng thing by them, I just have no experience and have never kept them before. I was also told not to touch the eggs so I cant candle them to see whats inside. Im happy to keep all of them and will sex them so I can separate them so we dont have any more once they are old enough. If I do take out the eggs I want to know how I can make sure I am disposing of them in the best way on case there are little ones inside......

Name
    Kassidy
    Thanks

Ive never had birds before and I only took them so they didnt get separated as they were going to be given to a pet shop and I didnt want that to happen, and I just thought that seeing as they had been together all this time and nothing happened that nothing ever would (after almost 5 yrs together).
    So you absolutely know that they have never bred before? Just making sure.

they laid the eggs in the bottom of the cage under the straw and paper I have in there and in all honesty I didnt know what to do. I went on holidays for a week and came back to 13 eggs and all 5 hatched within 24 hrs, Ive been checking them every day (my birds are inside in my lounge and always have been) and on sat there were no babies and on sunday there were 4 and today there was 5!!!!
    Wow! I wonder if this is abnormal? If you can, try to keep all the dates chicks hatched and any other information in one place so that you can use this for future references just in case you forget.

someone told me they probably wouldnt hatch and not to worry about it too much. The budgies are both about 5 yrs old, so thats quite old isnt it???
    Yes it is! I think there might be a risk of health, I hope there aren't any issues. Do you have a camera that you can use to upload any pictures? I'd just like to see the set-up of your cage, the two parents, and the chicks. Maybe you can use a cell-phone to take pictures if you have to? What do you have in their cage? What are you feeding them? I'd like to know anything you think may be good to tell me so that I can help better.

Im not trying to do the worng thing by them, I just have no experience and have never kept them before. I was also told not to touch the eggs so I cant candle them to see whats inside.
    This is good advice. But it is possible to candle them without touching them. The reason why you shouldn't handle them with your hands is not because the scent from your hands will make the parents quit raising them, but bacteria can be absorbed through the egg's shell which could kill the chick.

I think you would have to be very careful, and use a flashlight and lightly put it on one side of an egg to see what's inside. But don't do that yet because I'm not sure if it is safe the way I am explaining it.

Im happy to keep all of them and will sex them so I can separate them so we dont have any more once they are old enough. If I do take out the eggs I want to know how I can make sure I am disposing of them in the best way on case there are little ones inside......
    This is a good idea, but try to focus on the present problem right now okay? I know how you feel about disposing of eggs and possibly killing a chick, so just leave them be for now.

I'll get back to you through PM soon.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Jackie
    Thanks

Thanks for all the good advice from all of you.

In my case, our female budgie (Victoria) lays eggs anywhere and everywhere. I have not provided her with a nesting box, as I don't want to encourage her. I find eggs at the bottom of the cage, in the garbage can next to my desk (a favourite play spot) and even dropped onto the floor from a hanging perch.

Victoria will be five in the fall and her mate, Phillippe, will be six next month. Until about 6 months ago this wasn't a problem. I had assumed that they weren't interested in breeding. Boy, was I wrong!

I realize that I can make the problem go away by separating them, but I am reluctant to do this as they are bonded and we only have the two budgies.

Victoria becomes extremely friendly when she is laying eggs; climbing all over me, my desk, the garbage can. She chews on anything she can get her beak on. Has anyone else had similar experience with a hen when she is laying eggs?

It sounds like I am doing everything that has been suggested, other than separating them.

Jackie
    Jackie

Name
    Kassidy
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Playtime71 View Post
    Thanks for all the good advice from all of you.

In my case, our female budgie (Victoria) lays eggs anywhere and everywhere. I have not provided her with a nesting box, as I don't want to encourage her. I find eggs at the bottom of the cage, in the garbage can next to my desk (a favourite play spot) and even dropped onto the floor from a hanging perch.

Victoria will be five in the fall and her mate, Phillippe, will be six next month. Until about 6 months ago this wasn't a problem. I had assumed that they weren't interested in breeding. Boy, was I wrong!

I realize that I can make the problem go away by separating them, but I am reluctant to do this as they are bonded and we only have the two budgies.

Victoria becomes extremely friendly when she is laying eggs; climbing all over me, my desk, the garbage can. She chews on anything she can get her beak on. Has anyone else had similar experience with a hen when she is laying eggs?

It sounds like I am doing everything that has been suggested, other than separating them.

Jackie
    I think the best thing would be to seperate them, and maybe you could just give them some play time together every other day? That way they wouldn't be together all the time (Which is probably what is encouraging her to lay eggs) but see eachother every now and then without making it a problem. Good luck and keep providing her with lots of extra calcium supplements. (Egg, cuttlebone, oyster shell etc.) I hope she stops laying soon!
    Last edited by kassidyb; 09-04-2010 at 09:55 AM. Reason: Removed charcoal, it does not provide calcium.

Remove Ads