Tailfeathers
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Name
    Amanda
    Thanks

What kinds of toys do Lovebirds like most?

I know what my cockatiels like, and I know what my parakeets like but the Lovebirds are new to me.

Today I had one of my lovies, Kiwi out (the only one that likes coming out) and he walked all the way across the floor, and climbed up one of the cockatiel cages. He proceeded to go inside, eat their food, climb their ladder, and swing on their swing. So, I put a swing in the Lovebird cage too, they dont seem that into it now! But while he was out, he was curiously playing with everything. I change out my 'Tiel and 'Keet toys once a week, maybe I need to swap the lovies toys around more.

What are some big hits with Lovebirds? I buy 90% of my toys from Petsmart if that helps at all. Do they like wooden toys, shiny, noise makers, shreadables? Fill me in!
    Birds-Matilda, Mya, Cheyenne, George, Simon and Phoebe

Also owned by 3 cats, 3 dogs, 2 rabbits and two children!!

٩(●̮̮̃̃)۶ Four More Babies Hatched! Skittles's Avatar
    Name
    Lauren
    Thanks

Re: What kinds of toys do Lovebirds like most?

It varies from lovie to lovie.

My two love swings and the dog-like chew toys (the rope kind). They also seem to enjoy shredding toys, but that sometimes instigates nesty behaviour in hens.

Look for the same type of toys that your 'tiels have The lovies might like them too

Tailfeather Tailfeathers Supporter!Tailfeathers Supporter! Lovebirdfan's Avatar
    Name
    Karen
    Thanks

Mine love playing with crumpled (non-shiny) newspapers. They also like real branches to chew on(safe and clean of course), wooden ladders, sisal rope toys, swings, and toys with bells. They will also play with a shoe box (without the top) that has a hole cut out on one side so they can poke their head in and out.

Name
    Helen
    Thanks

lol
    the ones in everyone elses cage that they shouldnt have lol

sparky's favourites are floor toys (like balls) she can throw about, and anyththing with a shiney bell attatched

Name
    Sarah
    Thanks

I have a shiny disco ball toy that Mango absolutely LOVES. But Once a week I switch the toys around so they don't get bored, and Mojito has it right now. :P

I'd have to say mine like anything shiny or with mirrors. More than anything else.

I have some that are shiny-less and they don't really care for them. Although I can hear them banging them on the cage sometimes, so I do know they are doing something with them.

Does Petsmart have a good selection? I don't have one where I live, just two smallish pet stores (one from a chain company, other is privately owned) and both have pretty cruddy bird toy selection. Pretty sad when Walmart has better toys then the pet store does.

Name
    Amanda
    Thanks

My Petsmart has an entire aisle of bird toys, its really nice. One of my cockatiels prefers shredding toys, and they have a huge selection of those so I'm there,alot. When he was out of his cage, he seemed particularly interested in the cockatiels rope bridge (which is just a $1.00 dog rope toy from target!) but its huge, and nicely woven and the cockatiels love it, and apparently Kiwi does too. So, I'll pick him up one of those and try some shiny things. There is a mirror on my coffee table, under a candle arrangement and he will go over to it and look at himself 4.6 million times talking away.

A disco ball? lol I saw those at Petsmart, and wondered if he birds would like those or not. So, nobody recommended wooden toys, I guess those arent a huge hit. I will give the rope toys, shiny toys, and shredding toys a try first! Thanks
    Birds-Matilda, Mya, Cheyenne, George, Simon and Phoebe

Also owned by 3 cats, 3 dogs, 2 rabbits and two children!!

Bird Overload Hatched! Lovebabies Aviary's Avatar
    Name
    Michelle
    Thanks

you know buddy was never the toy player he just shedded everything