Tailfeathers
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Jillybean249

HELP me breed my budgies PLEASE!!

Hello, i am new here. i was wondering if somebody could help me with my budgie problem okay well i have a pair of budgies, Cloe (f) and Moe (m), My other bird Snowy who was a male, died because he had a malformed wing or something. but anways i am trying to mate Cloe and Moe. Cloe is close to two, and her cere is dark crusty brown and Moe is probably 1 but i am not sure, i got him about 5 to 6 months ago, his cere is a light blue color and he a bare forhead and his pupil things are like Cloe's.
    i bought a breeding box, and Cloe(f) has been going in and out of it for the past week/week and a half. and she will stay in for a couple minutes until she hears noises around her. i had shavings in there for her but she keeps taking them out and throwing them away, which i heard is a good thing. but the only thing is im not sure if Cloe and Moe are goign to breed. They sit on the same perch but they dont prune eachother, and they talk, and sometimes chase eachtother around, but im not sure if thats good. i caught him feeding her once but that was the only time. Moes been in the box a couple times but usually just stays around it. i played them bird music to get them in the mood, i heard that it encourages them -lol-... so if u have any more ideas on how to encourage them or if u think they will breed will be MUCH appreatiated!! thx so much!!!

jill

Egg's Cracking...
    Name
    Ben
    Thanks

bird noises

I think what finally made my birds breed was having more than one pair. The more birds, the more they are encouraged to breed.
    Other than that, just wait a while, be patient. It took me about 4 months for my first clutch. Only about 2 for my second.
    Okay
    Benping

Jillybean249

Re: bird noises

thx for replying ! yea i dont have to room for more budgies but thats why i was playing them bird chirps, to make the illusion of more birds lol... so yea i dont have the room for more than one couple of birds unfortunately, just for the ones i have now and hopefully their babies

well i moved the box inside the cage, and shes been going in ALOT! hours at a time, i was watching them and Cloe(f) would be in it and then Moe(m) would go in after her and she was go otu and then he'd follow her, and they repeated that for a long time, she doesnt like him in the box with her, but hes curious!
    when she is in the box alone she makes like a cooing noise, what does that mean? when moe goes in, he'll just scream.

i was also wondering, if a budgie has a mating call, and if they do what does it sound like?? thx for answering i hope more ppl do to!! i NEED the advice

do u think i could get them to breed ?

thx

Jill

Egg's Cracking...
    Name
    Eric
    Thanks

Re: bird noises

you just need to be paitient. That is the hardest part for me. with meyers parrots it can take them over a year for them to feel comfortable enough in their surroundings to mate. Not that I think it will take them a year but it could take them a while and often birds will fail there first couple of tries.

Name
    Christy
    Thanks

Re: HELP me breed my budgies PLEASE!!

I agree. Patience is the key and the hardest lesson I have had to learn. I remember the first time I witnesses two of my budgies copulating and I was so excited. Now it is more frequent and they don't seem "shy" about it at all. I don't think you can force them to get together though.

Some things that did help me was nesting boxes hung high and on the outside of the cage.

Also, the sound of other budgies. Plenty of food and water too.

And, I don't know if this holds any weight or not, but I read somewhere that misting them can create the illusion of a "rainy season" and maybe induce breeding. I could be wrong, but either way, they enjoyed their "shower"! lol
    ~Christy

"As the rain falls on the just and the unjust alike, let your heart be untroubled by judgments and let your kindness rain down on all."-Shakyamuni Buddha

My Tiels

My Budgies

Brand New Egg
    Name
    jill
    Thanks

Wink Re: HELP me breed my budgies PLEASE!!

I think CLoes going to lay!!!!!! undefinedShe SLEPT in the box last night and the night before that

Im sooo excited! shes in there constantly and only comes out to drink and poop, Moe usually feeds her ! I think she might lay soon, what does her bottom look like again? isnt there supose to be a bulge or something when shes going to lay? i think there is a bulge i tried to look but the "bulge" might just be feathers, i unno i dont know what her butt looked like before now lol so im not sure if it was. what are other signs they are going to lay? her poop is bigger than normal.. and how many eggs do you think she'll lay for her first clutch, and how many do u think will survive?
    THANK YOU PPL! BIG BIG BIG help to me, i couldnt have done any of this without this website, its my SAVIOUR!! heheh