Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Shower

Name
    Natalia
    Thanks

Shower

I just read about a 'tiel owner that said his cockatiels loved to shower with him...is that possible? won't the soap/temp of water hurt them? how do you do it?
    2004-2012 RIP Ro, we miss you every day. I hope there are plenty of almonds and cheerios wherever you are!

George, 17 (cockatiel) - "I like to sit on picture frames, admire myself in mirrors, call the dog and mimic microwave beeps!"

Tiko and Diego, 1 (Green-cheeked conures) - Brand new family additions, pictures and bio to follow!

Thanks

Re: Shower

You can search this topic and find lots but I'll answer it here.

Here's how I do it. I bring whatever birds with me that I'm going to shower with and I put them on top of the shower door. I shower and rinse off well. (I have two shower heads) I lower the pressure of one stream, turn it to bounce off the wall and stand in the other one, I turn down the temp considerably and then offer my finger to a fid. They usually jump right in but sometimes they aren't in the mood. I hold them underneath the mist of the stream bouncing off of the wall and they go wild or fall asleep (depends on the bird, mine are all different in the shower.)
    "Questions open the door to knowledge."

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

We wait until we have soaped up and rinsed off before letting our birds into the shower. However they get impatient sometimes and jump straight in!

Name
    Bonnie
    Thanks

You don't want to put them directly under the stream of water, so the splash off is cooler. I have a shower perch attached to the wall on the opposite side of the showerhead. I just let them chill there while i shower, when i'm done i pick them up and hold them near the water splashing off my body. Sometimes they spread their wings and get into it, other times they can't be bothered

Name
    Rosiel
    Thanks

I keep the water at a warm temperature when I have Katan with me. When I'm washing my hair, I let him perch on the the handle that's on the side of the shower - it's used to put things on, or just grab so you don't slip? I don't know what they're called in English.

Then, I wash myself with soap and do what it is that I need to do, and when I'm done, I let him get onto my finger, then he perches on my shoulder, and we hang out for a bit.

My Katan.
    Whatchyu lookin at, foo?

Name
    Estie
    Thanks

I made a "shower perch" from a plastic coat hanger with one of those plastic three-"legged" potplant hangers (it clips into the sides of a pot) tied to the three corners of the coat hanger.

This I hang in the shower and make sure the water is just warm. They never get the direct stream, just the water spashing off me, which is much colder.

I use fragrance-free glycerine soap to wash my hair and myself, so there's not dangerous perfumes, and if a small soap bubble falls on them, I don't worry too much!

This way, they can shower much longer, and they absolutely love it! When I say "Let's go showering" in the morning, they cannot get out of their cage quickly enough!!!
    Last edited by Estie; 06-02-2008 at 03:40 AM.
    RIP Topsie (Maltese) - "my lappoppie"
    To know even one life has breathed easier because you've lived --
    this is to have succeeded. (Ralph Waldo Emerson)

Name
    Bonnie
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TheLion View Post
    I let him perch on the the handle that's on the side of the shower - it's used to put things on, or just grab so you don't slip? I don't know what they're called in English.
    Those are very cleverly named "grab bars"

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nightlady View Post
    Those are very cleverly named "grab bars"
    "Questions open the door to knowledge."

Brand New Egg LoveForTheBlackDahlia's Avatar
    Name
    Lauren
    Thanks

I can't have mine shower with me I love the hot water and everything I use I wouldn't want to get on my fid. Plus I am too paranoid that they will get hurt badly by a falling shampoo bottle or the try to eat the bottle of the face wash. I am too paranoid. I envy those who can shower with the fids.
    Animals are delicate treat them right.

Black Dahlia your justice will come!

Name
    Patty
    Thanks

I bought a shower perch at Petsmart for my fids. They love to sit there and get wet. Since they are on the perch, the soap and shampoo never gets to them. =]

Name
    Natalia
    Thanks

Thanks for your answers. I'll go to petsmart and see what I can find, they're really great there! I don't know if my tiels like water yet, I guess we'll find out!
    2004-2012 RIP Ro, we miss you every day. I hope there are plenty of almonds and cheerios wherever you are!

George, 17 (cockatiel) - "I like to sit on picture frames, admire myself in mirrors, call the dog and mimic microwave beeps!"

Tiko and Diego, 1 (Green-cheeked conures) - Brand new family additions, pictures and bio to follow!

Name
    Tina
    Thanks

Most of our birds just love a shower. As I found out at the vet today, it is very important they are able to keep clean.

We took in a couple of birds from a relative. I knew right away one of them needed a vet visit. The vet stated Ziggy's nostrils were compacted with dirt from not bathing. He scooped out a lot of yuk from his nostrils and said to make sure he had regular baths to loosen up the rest and get it out.
    Last edited by Snowball; 06-04-2008 at 01:09 PM.