Tailfeathers
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    The ferretlady Teenager wolfysluv's Avatar
    Name
    Wolfy
    Thanks

Re: The Adventures of Kiki the Kakariki! (Pics Update Aug 4!)

This is the best thread ever!

Name
    Patty
    Thanks

Wow! I just saw this thread, I don't know how I missed it before! Kiki is so freaking cute! The video of her hopping across your living room floor was so funny. I had never seen a bird hop so fast like that. She IS 'electric' . She's such a little clown.

Name
    Victoria E.A
    Thanks

oh Ehm Gee lol That is so great! Reminds me of 2-3 year old kids!

"kikers what are you doing? "

"I'm looking the greastest spot to hide mom!"

"Kikers come here."

"NOooo! I must Hi~ide!"

lol. That is a fast little yellow bird. You didn't get her rocket pack did you? lol

---

Queen of her Flock Parent Sun_angel00's Avatar
    Name
    Cheryl
    Thanks

Victoria, Im sorry I didnt see you reply to this thread!

LOL thats about it actually "no I have to hide" lol.
    "I will lend to you, a Bird", God said, "and teach you all you have to do. And when I call him back to heaven, you will know he loved you too."

Name
    Hillari
    Thanks

Geez I love this little cutie

MORE MORE!

"Loss is nothing else but change, and change is Nature's delight."
    -
    Marcus Aurelius

Proud mum of; Penny the Linnie, Tegan the BCC

Egg's Cracking...
    Name
    james
    Thanks

lol same here. my budgie mango got out into the house today and i found her an hour later in a shoe box full of stuff. :-)

Queen of her Flock Parent Sun_angel00's Avatar
    Name
    Cheryl
    Thanks

So I havent updated this thread in forever, I thought I would let you all know she is the master of squeezing under neath the door.

The other day my dad found her downstairs in the basement... In a box.... She got her self trapped in there and could kick it open.... Lucky my dad found her before one of the dogs did. It took my poor parents 2 hours to catch her... lol. They opened the box and grabbed her and she got away and ran away from them... it took them another 2 hours to catch her and put her back upstairs in the birds room.

Crazy little nut ball is always getting into trouble...
    "I will lend to you, a Bird", God said, "and teach you all you have to do. And when I call him back to heaven, you will know he loved you too."

Name
    Hillari
    Thanks

Yeah that's SCARY! Good thing she is kinda rowdy and noisy, not the quiet skulker type !

"Loss is nothing else but change, and change is Nature's delight."
    -
    Marcus Aurelius

Proud mum of; Penny the Linnie, Tegan the BCC

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Tom
    Thanks

Re: The Adventures of Kiki the Kakariki!

Quote Originally Posted by wolfysluv View Post
    For those interested in K's, I found some little tidbits on YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-eiUKp-w-U -- To hear a talking voice. Click on the users other videos as they've taken a bunch of movies of Cricket.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YLpK2sL2gcs

They must be peaceful, because I've run into lots of movies that have them best friends or even living with everything from a parrotlet to a canary. And so active, omg. They make me twitch! LOL. They're like a warbler is to the US wild song birds ... not still for a single second. They do a lot of busy nothings. Like exploring, wandering, looking at things. I'd like to see more movies up of how they interact with humans and how they play. I found one video of one flitting all over some guy but it was taken with a phone camera and it's barely visable. Maybe you could make Kiki a YT account, or someone else could make their Kaki one. lol. Start making a fan site. That would be funny, and it looks like it's really needed.
    Hi you mentioned them being peaceful, but I have a rather upetting story to tell.

My first two birds were a pair of kakariki's, a bonded pair as well I might add, one male one female. Well, as clear as it was that they both loved each other very much, it was also clear that the male was a bastard, but we'll get to that. He was the energetic one and the most vocal. She on the most part, was very calm and quiet, happy to sit still while he ran circles around her, and eventually, he'd sit still to right next to eah other, and they would snuggle up together, it was adorable.

Well, not all was as it appeared. I liken this story to one of spousal abuse, both mental and physical, where the quiet wife, out of love, puts up with her drunken husbands violent and controlling ways.

It started off with feedding. In their (large) cage, there was 2 seperate feeding pots, and 2 separate water pots, in a rather poor attempt at avoiding arguments. No matter which pot she was at, he'd immidiately come running over and shove her out of the way and start eating. If she went to the other pot, he'd stop eating, run over and shove her out of the way again. It got to the point where I had to feed her by hand, or remove him from the cage so she could eat.

He would also sneak up from above her while she was perching, lean over and pluck one of her feathers out, and then parade around the cage with her feathers in his beak making chuckling noises, so proud of his trophy. Before long she was starting to look pretty bald on her neck and back. Yet she would still snuggle up to him every chance she got, and at times they seemed very happy together. But enough was enough, I went out and bought another cage and separated them.

Well this turned out to be very upsetting for both of them, I had the cages next to each other and they would both sit as close to each other as they could and out of desperation they would try to regurgitate for each other. They cried out for each other constantly, and I eventually against my better judgement allowed them to move in together again, in the hope that perhaps he would have learnt his lesson.

Well, he hadn't learnt his lesson, but she had. All of a sudden she was standing up for herself when he bullied her, and before long she herself had turned into the bully. He was very difficult to feed as he never trusted me like she did, so I had to remove her and put her back in her old cage at feeding times, but guess what, they still desperately missed each other and needed to be together.

I sadly came home from work one day to find him in a very critical and bloody state. I rushed him to the vets, but he died on the way there. There had obviously been a fight, and she had killed him.

Name
    Alina
    Thanks

Oh my goodness Tom that is horrible! I am so sorry that happened!

"Everything will be okay in the end. If it's not okay, it's not the end" -Anonymous-

Brand New Egg SoftlySpokenLassie's Avatar
    Name
    Linsay
    Thanks

This is an amazing thread, but such a sad tale from Tom, that must've been very upsetting.

I just got Wee Cheeky The Kakariki on Thursday so he is still settling in but getting bolder (and louder) by the day!

His new (bigger) cage arrives this week so i'm sure we're going to have fun trying to get him in.

This thread and photos of kiwi have made me realise I'm going to have my work cut out for me!!

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Tom
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AJR View Post
    Oh my goodness Tom that is horrible! I am so sorry that happened!
    I'm sorry it happened too, very sorry. I feel like it was my fault, but I learned from it. Eventually. I also had the tinyest, sweetest little cockatiel ever. He loved everyone and everything. One day, they were both out and climbing on top of their cages which were side by side. Chocobo (my cockatiel) due to his very loving and trusting nature, would wander over to the remaining kakariki just to say 'hello!' and try to preen her. She one day snapped, and there was another deadly fight. I managed to break it up quickly enough that I still had time to take Chocobo to the vets and get him patched up, however hours after getting back home he started having seizures and died. I was absolutely devastated, he was my best friend. Rather oddly though, she also died a week later. She had completely stopped preening herself, and several trips to the vets were made (begrudgingly, as I didn't like her very much anymore, which might sound horrible but I could never forgive her for killing Chocobo). Antibiotics were given and she appeared to be getting better. I took her back to the vets every day for 4 days so she could be checked up on, at great expense. She still wasn't preening though. On the fifth day, I woke up to find her dead at the bottom of her cage.

I think she had some psychological problems. She was a lovely sweet gentle bird at first, until she'd had enough from her mate bullying her, and was never the same again. It seemed like in the end, she just didn't want to be alive anymore.

To this day, I will not house birds together in the same cage, or let them get close to each other while playing outside. It's not really a problem with my current flock, as they tend to keep to themselves anyway.