Tailfeathers
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Mandee
    Thanks

Are budgies harder to breed...?

than cockatiels? I told the woman at the petstore that I was planning on breeding the budgies that I bought from her in March in a couple of years. She said that budgies were much harder and if I wanted to breed, I should go with the cockatiels. She said budgies have to eat a lot more often. Is she right? I sometimes question some of the things she tells me and I am actually looking for a different pet store/breeder. This isn't what I question...but something she said that I want to ask you all about. She said she pulls the babies at 3 weeks and that the budgies still need more frequent feedings because their crops are so small. Tell me your experiences please!

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Sarah
    Thanks

not sure

i have never breed tiels before but have breed budgies.

everybody here says that you should do a lot of research before you start, for things such as what to do if the parents abandon the nest and you have to hand feed the little ones and care for their needs, day and night, this means no sleep, or if the parents pluck the babies feathers and other things like that that could happen, such as deformities in the chicks.

also u should check that your birds are not related because this can lead to deformities in the chicks.

after doing all this if your birds are preening and kissing and feeding each other you have to give them a nest box(which can be bought at any good pet shop and must have a concave or ditch in the floor so the eggs don't roll around) and make sure they have enough calcium in their diet(this is especially important for the females because producing the egg shells are made from this so the hen will need extra)

if your birds have a successful clutch and they are all raised properly by the parents without your help you will need to take the nest box out as soon as the last babies leave the nest box, so your hen doesn't start another clutch, which could be stressful on the birds body.

take a look at these links:
    *groups.msn.com/budgieskeetsandtiels/breeding.msnw
    *http://pub247.ezboard.com/fthecockat...icID=270.topic

and just do some general reading around this site for other topics like yours.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Sarah
    Thanks

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Mandee
    Thanks

Re: Are budgies harder to breed...?

My babies that I have are defintely not related! They are only abour 3-4 months old though so I have lots of time before I consider breeding to learn all I can! Thanks for your help!

little chicken

Breeding

In my experience budgies are really easy to breed compared to the stories I have heard from others who have tiels.
    Make sure they get lots of sunlight, lots of food and water, a vitamin suppliment (powder added to food, not in their water), extra calcium and are in good health before you let them give it a go.

Egg's Cracking...
    Name
    Brittany
    Thanks

Re: Breeding

Now i have never bred cockys but i am planning to. But Budgies are the easiest thing in the world. If the parents have the right instinct then they will do just fine.
    But you will have to give them some supplements. Like grind up some cuttle bones because they are good calcium and then mix it with there food. Or go to your local pet shop and look for food that comes in a can called Nestling food. The calcium hlps with the development of the egg and the mom. Because normally the calcium goes to her anyway but while they are breeding it goes to the egg.

Pray for Skyer. Teenager -Robin-'s Avatar
    Name
    Melanie/Fallon
    Thanks

Re: Breeding

Hi there,

I don't think you should consider breeding you budgies just yet. Breeding is a big process that will take alot of your time. See the stickied topic? I suggested you go and read it.

Your budgies are not even close to being safely breeded. Budgies should be at LEAST one and a half years old to have safe and healthy ensured breeding. The first clutch may not even make . The first clutch is known for not living entirley. Also you have to think about why you want to breed.

Why do you want to breed?
    To have fun?
    It may be a neat experience I what to try!**A big answer lots of people tell us.**
    (**but wait? What about the budgies? Some budgies may not even breed at all. It puts alot of stress on them and once you start them, it is hard for them to stop! The stress can be so much that the budgies may not feed their young? Then what?
    What about if they catch a sickness? You have to think whatever may happen, you cannot expect a good outcome, but be prepared for the worst that COULD happen.**)

Do you want to test it out?
    Is it something that other people have done so you want to too?

You have to think about all these things. There are lits of stories of people who had to sacrafice much of their time and money to care for the birds and their babies. Your birds aren't even old enough yet. If a young bird breeds, well, young, it is very dangerous to their health and the stress can just "squish" them. It isn't necessarily harder to breed budgies than cockatiels, but it is true cockatiels can get used to eachother more quickly resulting in a faster familiarity with eachother, concluding to faster breeding.
    Budgies tend to take their time, and can take a while through the process.

Here at TF, there are many precautions everyone just whats to inform everyone about, so I don't want you to think I'm discouraging you from breeding at all. But there is one point: think it over Do you have enough money to breed? All the costs for supplies. Do you have a vet on hand for assistance? Are your budgies old enough? Are they healthy? Do they show signs of breeding capability?
    I hope this helped you and gave a few things to think on.

If you have any further questions, we'll be glad to help you.