Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Grumpy Momma!

Egg's Cracking...
    Name
    Anna
    Thanks

Grumpy Momma!

Have you guys ever seen what a really mad Momma Turkey looks like?

Wanna know why? look what sits in the left corner in front of her:

Here is a close up of 2 of the lil ones. The light one is a purebred rare Jersey buff just like its momma and the darker one is a Jersey buffXmerriams wild.
    I am so thankful for the Zoom function on the camera, if I had to get that close I think the hen would of torn me to shreds.
    I needed to keep a 5 foot distance otherwise she would come off the next and attacked me. Try reaching under her when she only had eggs, she grabs a piece of skin and shakes like a rabit dog, I got so many bruises and cuts on my arms from her, now with the babies I can't get close at all...
    First time mother, I am sure she will calm down once she gets the hang of it, normally she is a very sweet turkey.
    Current poult count is 4 buffs and 2 X's. 4 more eggs to hatch.

Oh babies babies everywhere, in all shapes, forms and colours! I love this hobby!

Tomorrow I may have to start a Topic on my Muscovy duck and her babies, I checked her eggs half an hour ago and one egg was literally screaming when I picked it up.
    Should have lil duckies within the next 2 days!!!!
    Yay!

Queen of her Flock Parent Sun_angel00's Avatar
    Name
    Cheryl
    Thanks

Re: Grumpy Momma!

The babies are so cute!
    "I will lend to you, a Bird", God said, "and teach you all you have to do. And when I call him back to heaven, you will know he loved you too."

Resident Vampire Hormonal ellenant's Avatar
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

Ahhhh....
    sooooo cute.
    With all your farm animal baby pictures you really
    make me think if I should become vegetarian...
    "There must have been a moment, at the beginning, where we could have said- NO. But somehow we missed it." (Samuel Beckett)

Dear Alex, in memory Axolotls rock!
    Missing you, Waiata...

Wild NZ Birds! http://www.tailfeathersnetwork.com/c...ad.php?t=57986

Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

By the way,
    can you take a video of the screaming egg?
    This sounds awesome...
    "There must have been a moment, at the beginning, where we could have said- NO. But somehow we missed it." (Samuel Beckett)

Missing you, Waiata...

Name
    Mary
    Thanks

OMG great pics again! Who knew turkeys could be so cute? LOL

Can't blame her for protecting her babies though!

Duckling pics coming! HURRAY!!!
    Mary, Cosmo, Kaylaur, Perry & Tyler, and Spaz (temporary foster). And we can't forget the furry kids Pepper & Chewy!

Egg's Cracking...
    Name
    Anna
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ellenant View Post
    Ahhhh....
    sooooo cute.
    With all your farm animal baby pictures you really
    make me think if I should become vegetarian...
    Haha, I think completely differently, everytime I see my birdies hatch something I just think to myself "Yay, any extra males will make beautiful dinner in a couple of months!!". All this hatching is fun and I love having lil ones, but they do grow up eventually.

I rather eat one of my birds where I know how they were kept and what they got to eat and how they got treated etc, then those chickens and turkeys from the store who got pumped full of medication and lived in small crowded buildings and had a miserable life from start to finish. At least I know mine were handled with care and respect and had a wonderful life right to the end.

Also I would starve to death as a vegetarian, since I cannot digest 98% of vegetables, and throw up if I do try to eat them.

So, since I live mainly off of meat and cereal(could eat that for breakfast, lunch and dinner every day), healthy homeraised meat is my best bet.
    We have our own poultry(from squab, to duck, chicken, pheasant and turkey), own eggs, our own rabbits, and our own beef.

I do have my pets of course(too many for my moms liking, but oh well, I buy their food etc so she has nothing to complain about). All my breeder birds have names and are tame and will live out their lifes here if possible.

Anna

Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

I agree, this is the right way of doing it.
    At home in Germany, we have a small farm,
    and we also have two pigs each year, chickens
    and rabbits.
    But do NOT ask me to kill any of them!
    And I actually have trouble to eat any rabbit I knew...
    I dont have problems with the chickens and the pigs
    for some strange reason...

Missing you, Waiata...

Egg's Cracking...
    Name
    Anna
    Thanks

I always wanted to try pigs, my mom wont let me though because she thinks they are too smart and she gets too attached.

Oh well.

She is all for the whole homeraised meat thing, although she was rather unhappy that I got the rabbits, since she doesn't want to get attached to anything and she is having a hard time with small furry critters. Once they are on the plate all ready to cook there is no issue though.

I am the one to process everything too, and no one ever helps me, my stepdad always says he will but he always has an excuse when the time comes.....
    Butchers around here don't kill or even lay a hand on birds and rabbits(since its not legal for them to do so).

Queen of her Flock Parent Sun_angel00's Avatar
    Name
    Cheryl
    Thanks

I could never imagine, eatting something I raised, I dont mind meat but Like your mom knowing it, I would become attached and couldnt do it.

I couldnt kill an animal either... I would pass out before I even started at the thought of it. In foods culnrary (sp?) we got whole chickens that there dead but still had the feathers on it, I took an F and cried for about 45 minutes.... 3 other girls took F's too... I jusy couldnt do it... I could never raise animals for slaughter, knowing what there fate was.

But I agree with you, I would rather have something what was raise well, treated well up til the end, then a steriod injected freak. Once I move I think I will get my meat from the huttrites from now on.... they have good meat I hear.
    "I will lend to you, a Bird", God said, "and teach you all you have to do. And when I call him back to heaven, you will know he loved you too."

Name
    Patty
    Thanks

I didn't know baby turkeys were so cute! That mom looks mad!

I don't know how you do it. I would not be able to eat an animal that I helped raise =/ or kill them [I faint at the sight of my own blood and squirm if I ever run over a squirrel.. which I did and almost cried]. But I do eat meat and I can't lie, I love it. And you're right, it's much healthier knowing where the animal came from and what it was fed and in what conditions it was raised. So that's really great!

And the screaming duckling egg.... TOO FUNNY!

Amorous Tailfeather
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sun_angel00 View Post
    I could never imagine, eatting something I raised, I dont mind meat but Like your mom knowing it, I would become attached and couldnt do it.

I couldnt kill an animal either... I would pass out before I even started at the thought of it. In foods culnrary (sp?) we got whole chickens that there dead but still had the feathers on it, I took an F and cried for about 45 minutes.... 3 other girls took F's too... I jusy couldnt do it... I could never raise animals for slaughter, knowing what there fate was.

But I agree with you, I would rather have something what was raise well, treated well up til the end, then a steriod injected freak. Once I move I think I will get my meat from the huttrites from now on.... they have good meat I hear.
    This pretty much sums up exactly how I feel. I don't understand how people could just kill their pets. But then again, it's SO much better than what the chickens I eat get

Egg's Cracking...
    Name
    Anna
    Thanks

See, the animals I raise for food I do not treat as pets, they don't get names and I don't handle them much besides feed and water.

My mother finds it amazing how detached I am emotionally to the animals that I know are intended for consumption.
    Then again if one of my dear, tame pets dies I am crying for days and cannot enter its enclosure for like a week or two without getting all teary and hysterical.
    My Pet Merriams wild tom died 2 yrs ago, and it took me almost 2 days to get my act together to remove his body from his enclosure without breaking down completely....... he was my sweetest little birdie(a 30 lb baby, but a baby none the less), that was the longest walk in the woods with him though...... and I sat crying by him for over 2 hrs.
    To this day every time I see a merriams I get all teary.

The buff were staying at a friends house, and she has Merriams and the buffs refused to let their male breed them but would squad down by the fence of the wild. So one day we just said screw it, breeding season is almost over lets get at least some sort of turkey babies for this year..... so we put the one hen in with the wild.
    My friend has 5 of those X babies.
    Appearantly the buff male did get a breeding or two in since those light coloured babies are purebreds.

Should be interesting to see how they look when grown.

Maybe this year I will buy a pair of Merriams at the fall auction, I miss having wilds around.

Anna

Tailfeather
    Name
    LC
    Thanks

I know nothing about turkeys, how do you end up with some purebred babies and some crosses?

I'm going to jump on the bandwagon and say that I could never eat an animal that I had raised from a baby (although, as a veggie, my feelings on that are obviously biased!). I also wouldn't be able to raise meat animals and not treat them like pets, especially babies, I wouldn't be able to stay away.

Sweet Peas Mom Egg's Cracking...
    Name
    Nita
    Thanks

they are so cute.

Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

I think chicken can store sperm...
    turkeys belong to the Galliformes (chicken birds) too,
    dont they? So maybe they can store sperm, too.

Missing you, Waiata...

Remove Ads