Tailfeathers
Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: "Mating" Question

*Poetry Comes From The Soul* Maturing... Budgieobsession's Avatar
    Thanks

"Mating" Question

Today I woke up to hear my 2 budgies making mroe noise then usual. An hour lator my sister called to me to tell that the birds were mating. I came down but all I found was the male(not exactly sure though) constantly chasing the female and pussting his foot on her. The female would then just move or fly away only to have him chase her once again. It stopped after about 5 minutes though. What does this mean? That the male was just a little horny, wants to mate with her or what? And why is she not letting him? Thx and I was wodnering Ive had them for almost 2 years and after abotu the first year they have stopped regurating only to do it once every couple of weeks, why have they stopped?
    Should I be woorried bcz I have no intention of mating them, will the female not let him mate with her unless she has everyhting she needs(nestbox etc)? And do females ever take the role of male and put their feet on another bird?

little chicken

mating

Sounds like the male was making classic advances to your female! She just might not be interested right now. Nothing to be worried about. If you don't want them to mate then don't put in a nest box.

You can tell male from female by look at the cere, the areas surrounding the nostrils. A female has a pinky beige color cere but when in heat it goes chocolate brown and flaky. The male has a purplish/blue cere that goes much darker in color when he is ready to mate.

Thanks

Re: mating

Well I Vanilla(the presumably male) is a recissive pied which makes it impossible to visually sex but Im guessing by the behavior hes a guy unless females do advances as well. Do they?

little chicken

budgie sex

I have to disagee with you there....
    I too have both a male and female that are recessive pied as well as a baby recessive pied. I also have 3 other budgies and 2 other babies I am not sure what they will be yet. If you have a white, yellow, or recessive pied budgie, the cere of the adult male is pink.
    Take a look at this site...
    www.geocities.com/Heartla...eets1.html
    go almost to the bottom and take a look at the picture.
    These are not my birds but a site I found as an example.
    I can easily tell the difference on my recessive pieds. Generally I do not believe that females are aggressive in the way you were mentioning.

Thanks

Oh...

I was always told that recessive pieds couldnt be sexed visually, or at least not 100%. Well thanks for the sitr bcz I always wondered what Vanilal was. Do you mean females dont do the advances such as Vanilla was making? Thank you.

Thanks

Also....

Why did Vanilla do these advances for only about 10 minutes then stop and is it normal to do it in front of peopl (my whole fmaily was in the same room as them) in the morning? Will he attempt this again and is there a way that a female tries to ge tthe male to mate with her? Thx again.

Horse lover and Bird FreaK Egg's Cracking...
    Name
    Shaina
    Thanks

Re: Also....

Birds do not care who's watching. Mine mate whiile I stand right by the cage....* a bunch of DODO birds *Chances are when she feels the need she will want to mate.

little chicken

mating

Females show males they are interested through similar ways as the males...head bobbing , clicking sounds etc... however females, as to my experience, do NOT try to climb on the males. They just accept the males 'advances' when they feel lke it.

Budgies will mate anywhere or on anyone! I can attest to that as can my kids. They have mated while they were on our shoulders or on your fingers! YUCK!

Thanks

Re: mating

Well Vanilla tried again today. I always thought they don't like doing it in forn of people but I guess not all species are as shy as us lol. Is it just a whim or is it a period of time when they want to mate? Will Bubbles soon submit to the advances? Thank you again and anything else you can tell me woudl be great.

Remove Ads