Tailfeathers
Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Thinking about getting a conure...

Name
    Melonie
    Thanks

Thinking about getting a conure...

My little Skooter (budgie) just died two days ago, and it's been terribly hard for me. Unfortunately, I only had him on a seed diet, which I'm sure is why he didn't live as long. He was nearly 8 years old.

Skooter was my very first bird, and when I bought him, he was not tame, and I had a very hard time taming him, and was never able to get him out of his cage. I played with him everyday while he was in his cage, though. He let me pet him, but never liked to be held. I was terribly attached to this bird, and I'm simply devastated that he is gone now.

But anyway, the day after he died my boyfriend took me out, and we stopped by petco randomly. I looked at all the birds and noticed an orangish one that caught me eye. He was standong in top of a ladder toy, so I ducked down and started to talk to him. When I did that he goofily climbed down his ladder and walked to the front of the glass cage. I tapped my finger on it a little, and he stuck his foot out, as if he were trying to shake my hand. It was the cutest thing! I started moving my finger up and down on the glass and he bobbed his head along with my finger, I couldn't get enough of this bird. Turns out he was a Sun Conure, and $500!

My boyfriend said he would buy me another parakeet, but I told him I wanted a sun conure instead. Bigger price tag, so I won't be able to get one for a little while, but he was so adorable and seemed very affectionate, which is something I absolutely adore.

Is there any advice or tips you can give regarding whether I should get one or not? I know I only have experience with one parakeet, and I was never able to completely tame him, but he was a very happy bird, and I gave him a lot of attention on his terms, inside of his cage. I couldn't get him to eat any fruits or veggies, I've tried my best, but he was too scared to eat it. I could be naive in thinking I could tame a conure, but it at least appears as if one like this would be tamable. He already seemed pretty tame, as if I could have taken him out of that cage and held him right then and there.

I work outside of the home only two days a week, and I have two brothers (19 and 22) that are home on those days. I'm an artist and do commission work at home, on my computer, on the rest of the days that I am not outside the home. Basically where I'm getting at is that I have the time to take care of it. I could sit him on my shoulder or put him on my desk while I did my art on the computer, and when I'm at work, my brothers could do the same. So I don't find that to be a problem.

Again, please give as much as advice as possible, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks!

Name
    Gail
    Auberry CA in the mountains above Fresno CA
    Thanks

Re: Thinking about getting a conure...

First of all, I'm sorry for your heartbreak.
    I'm a firm believer that nothing heals a broken heart like a new baby.
    Now, on to your idea.
    Sun Conures are wonderful, cuddly, clownish birds who demand one on one attention. They will sit on your shoulder but they also want to play with your fingers, chew on your ear, preen your hair, etc.
    The main thing about Suns (most Conures in fact) is that they are loud. This is liveable if you're not in an apartment. A Sun will greet the morning and announce sundown in ear splitting raptures. A Sun will greet you when he hears you and curse your departure. But my Sundance is my favorite Fid (don't tell Shaver and Dinkey)!!!
    I would not recommend buying a bird (any bird) from a chain pet shop. Even family owned pet shops don't have the time to keep up on the one on one handling needed for a well tamed baby.
    Check out breeders in your area (where are you located and maybe I can help) and get to know the babies. You can also look into rehomeing and rescues although those birds often come with "baggage".
    I did months of searching for my Sun and got a wonderful bird who is loving and crazy. I have lots of websites to look at.
    Please remember that a Sun can live for 30 years so your commitment is a long AND REWARDING one.
    By the way, I paid $375 for my baby and that included DNA sexing.
    Also, you will need a much larger cage and many many toys. A conure NEEDS to chew. I make my own so it's much cheaper.
    Contact me personally and I can give you web addresses where you can learn more about Suns and other Conures.
    Good luck and good hunting.

Name
    Dick
    Thanks

Melonie I recently (2 weeks now) purchased a local Green Cheek Conure that has already taken my affection. Luci is great! She is about a year old and was very well taken care of. GCC aren't usually loud from what I read and Luci has proved that to me thus far. She does need a lot of attention! She has no problem stepping up, when she feels like it, sitting on my shoulder or me cupping her with one hand to my chest and rubbing her head with the other. Luci already talks a little with words like Hello, Luci and low tone squawking.
    I have 6 tiels as well and they are not near as fast as Luci. Boy can she run! One cute thing she has begun doing is searching for me. If I leave the room and go take a shower, she will be sitting outside the door waiting for me. I just can't say enough about how satisfied I am. If you watch the craigslist and Kijiji USA Free Classifieds you might run into a deal. I purchased Luci from a local girl who has another parrot (bigger) that would dominate Luci so she needed to go. I bought her for $200.00 including a fairly large cage and play stand. Wow what a deal!! Good luck with your venture.

Name
    Linda
    Thanks

I agree with Gail about the sun conure. I have one, as well as a white bellied caique. I LOVE Cayenne the conure---he is gorgeous and a real sweetie. But sun conures are very loud and you have to be in a living situation where the noise will not affect your neighbors.
    Before you decide on a sun because of the one you saw at Petco, do some conure research on the internet and maybe read books at the library too. Contact some breeders, read Bird Talk magazine ( look for back issues so you can learn about different birds).

Once you decide on what bird you want, go to a reputable breeder. If you get a baby bird that has been hand fed and weaned by the breeder, the baby will already be hand-tame. Both my conure and my caique came from the same breeder and both were ready to play from day 1.

Best of luck with your search!!! Keep us posted!

Tailfeather
    Name
    LC
    Thanks

I'm sorry for your loss. I really think you should take some time to hurt and heal before you get a new bird. You have to remember that no bird will replace the one you lost, so you should put a lot of thought into making your choice.

Can you tell us more about what you're looking for in a bird? There are a lot of fantastic, but less flashy birds, that might fit what you're looking for. I personally cannot suggest poicephalus birds enough (meyers, senegals, red bellies), as my meyers, Milo, is pretty much the perfect bird (for me at least!) and poi's or other african birds will be the only ones that I will ever be adding to my flock because I enjoy them so much.

No matter which bird you chose, I would highly suggest NOT getting one from "Petno" or any other chain store. If you're willing to put a little more effort into the bird, getting one from a rescue would be fantastic, especially if it's an older bird as when you meet it you will know it's personality. Your other option would be to find a good breeder and get a young, but weaned, bird. $500 is really over priced for a sun, and that extra $250 or so that you would save getting a bird elsewhere would be good to put towards the cage (which for most birds, as I'm sure you know, ends up being nearly as much or more expensive then the bird!).

Thanks

Melonie, I just recently brought home Comet and he is just perfect in every way (parent talk) and I love the time that we spend together, which is a lot! I found him when looking through private party ads so he was a rehome. If you don't have a local breeder I think that a rehome is a good route to take. Be aware of the noise that they are capable of making (Comet isn't loud, but apparently this is uncommon) and take others in your household into consideration. There is a big difference between budgie chatter and a sun scream.
    "Questions open the door to knowledge."

Name
    Melonie
    Thanks

Hi everyone. WOW! What wonderful responses, this is very encouraging. My main question was whether or not these birds are too over my head as far as learning to take care of. I have the time for it, and would be more than willing to play with it all day long while I'm at home (I work from home most of the time, outside for only 2 days a week, and I have two brothers that could play with the bird on those days until I get back). I was concerned because I was never able to tame my Budgie, and I put in so much effort. I have taken him out of his cage before, but when I started doing that, he became scared of me, and wouldn't even let me pet him anymore, so I couldn't go along with it, which may have been a mistake, but he was my first bird. I gained his trust and played with him in his cage, on his terms, everyday.

Little Cricket, I'll answer your question about what I'm looking for in a bird. I'm looking for a companion friend that I can have for very, very, very many years to come. If he lives 30 years or more, WOW, that would be a blessing! I had my little Skooter for 7 years, and I feel it was cut way too short, I want a little buddy for as long as possible. As far as my work goes, other than the 2 days a week I work outside, I'm a freelance artist (have to work outside to help support that for now, I'm still getting my name out) and I do all my work digitally on the computer, from home. So a big chunk of my time I'm at my computer in my room. I'd love to have a bird to be able to cuddle with and play all day long, while I'm at my computer. Naturally, i'm not at my computer 24/7, so I would still be able to take him around the house as well and play. I want to spend a lot of time with it, and equally as important, I want a bird that WANTS to spend time with ME. One that actually wants to be held, cuddled, and played with. That would be wonderful, I'm a very affectionate person, and I would simply adore a little bird to shower with affection.

As of now, I'm still living with my parents, and as I've said before, I have two brothers (one is 19 and the other is 22) that would also have a lot of fun playing with the bird from time to time. Along with my parents as well. We all love animals. We have a small dog and a cat right now, but I wouldn't think that would be a problem, correct me if I'm wrong. Both the dog and cat are very docile and wouldn't try to hurt it or anything, so I wouldn't imagine it being a problem. I've had a hamster before and the cat never tried to hurt it, she'd just watch it. Still, I would constantly supervise anyway. Though the cat is not mine, she's my brother's, and i rarely am around it anyway.

Primarily, I'll be the one playing with the bird for the most part, but the rest of my family will as well from time to time.

The only problem I can think of it that my boyfriend and I are talking about getting married, hopefully in about a year. More than likely, just starting out while he's still in college, we're going to have to stay in an apartment, rather than having our own house. And as mentioned by some of you, little Sun's can be noisy. Personally, I have no problem with it, but I don't know how well that would work in an apartment building. It's something I will have to further look into.

And another thing I've obviously been naive about is that the different Conure's have different traits. I didn't know this, I thought the colors were the only difference, so I need to look into this more. I absolutely love the colors of a Sun Conure, but I need to do more research and base my decision on more than just the colors.

Also, you all make a great point with suggesting a breeder as opposed to Petco. I've looked for breeders in my area and found one about 20 minutes away for a Sun Conure, and some others about an hour or so away, which is fine, I'd make the trip for one in a heartbeat. I still need to look up breeders for the other Conures as well, and who knows, maybe I skipped some with the Sun's. I live near Little Rock, Arkansas if anyone knows of breeders near there or could help me look.

I would love to get a bird right away, but I might have to wait a couple months first, because I have an extra bill to pay temporarily (supplies for my art business), and I need to pay that off and then make some more money to afford a Conure, cage, toys, food, and additional supplies before I can get one. Unless my parents would let me borrow some money from them, and I know my dad would be fine with that, but I hate asking stuff like that, so I might just end up waiting a little.

Anyway, if y'all could help me out with some more information on the different types of Conure's, what kind of cage I need, and any and every item I'll need to take care of it, along with some guidance for training it, I'd be veeeery grateful. I'd also love to hear more about your pet Conure's with pictures and just little details, I find that so sweet!

Thanks so much everyone, you've been such a huge help.

Tailfeather
    Name
    LC
    Thanks

First off, I would highly suggest waiting a few months. Look into LOTS of different species, see if any breeders or rescues will let you come meet some birds. Plus, it's a good idea to save up some emergency vet money, as well as all the other money you'll need for the bird and cage.

I've found both my conure and meyers to be much easier to "tame" then my budgie, who isn't tame. Since I got both the larger birds as babies, they were already tame and used to people. I have not been around a lot of other birds then my own, but I've found my meyers to be much more... agreeable and easier to handle and "read" then my conure. I can tell when Milo is angry, what makes him angry, and it's easy to react. Cricket bites seemingly out of no where, and will react to the same situation differently. Cricket (green cheek conure) also hates everyone else in my family, even though he used to like them. Milo, on the other hand, gets along with pretty much anyone.

I think that with enough dedication, most people can handle most birds. I know of someone whose first and only birds are two caiques, and she takes wonderful care of them. Different people get along with different birds, which is why some people love conures, some people love caiques, and I prefer laid back, more predictable (in my opinion) birds.

Some general conure info: Cage wise, the smaller, pyrrhura conures (green cheek, maroon bellied, black capped, etc) need cages that are about 26" by 24" by 36", where as the aratinga's (sun, jenday, white eyed, etc) should really have 36 by 34 by 26 cages, although they can live in smaller, bigger is generally better. Aratinga's are louder, but even pyrrhura's can be loud for some people. my conure doesn't really chew, but he loves anything with a bell, I think it varies from bird to bird.

Name
    Brittany
    Thanks

I got Oliver from a petstore. I know alot of people are against it, but i really felt bad for him. I had seem him there for a while and everytime i went to petsmart, i had to stop and admire him. The employees at Petsmart interacted with him ALOT. He is a very friendly bird. Of course he was alot more expensive than he should have been [$650] but i couldn't resist him. If i ever got a conure, it had to be him. I think you should go with your heart. That's what i did and i have a very charming and loving companion now.
    ♥I Miss My Fids♥

Previously Tikigurl

Name
    Melonie
    Thanks

I definitely feel an attachment to this Petco Sun Conure. I want so bad to take him, but I don't know if I can afford that, especially since there are breeders around here that sell them for half the price. If i had the money, I would already have the little Petco bird by now, because I can't bear to walk away form him everytime I do. I went again today (my third visit with the bird within the past 4 days) and they let me hold him. I am soooo in love with this bird!

My little cousin was there though, and a bunch of people crowded around, so he was a little scared, but still very sweet. He liked to chew on my rings, it was the cutest thing. He's a little over 3 months old.

More than likely I'll have to go with a baby from ab reeder though, because I can't afford it otherwise.

Name
    Brittany
    Thanks

Oh, i'm sorry

I felt the same way about my Oliver. I didn't even have to hold him, i was just so attached to him, but as soon as i did he was obsessed with my necklace lol. It really stinks that those darn petstores charge so much for them. Well, i hope you find another conure that you really love. Be hopefull. :-)
    ♥I Miss My Fids♥

Previously Tikigurl