Tailfeathers
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Egg's Cracking...
    Name
    Jacqui
    Thanks

Is it possible, that Cockatiels understand English?

I feel like when I'm talking to Missy, she knows what I'm saying. Not all the time, but for example, when I say "come here" she comes. When I say "stop it" she stops what she's doing (for about 30 seconds, but still!) when I say "I'll be back in a minute" she screams less than she normally would when I leave the room. She doesn't speak at all, but she really seems to understand a lot of what I say to her. Am I going crazy, or is it possible that she actually does understand English?

Queen of her Flock Parent Sun_angel00's Avatar
    Name
    Cheryl
    Thanks

Re: Is it possible, that Cockatiels understand English?

Oh it's possible....

One of mine will do something like drop his ball off the cage and look down at it and say 'uh oh'.

I can say come here gibby and he will walk down to me.

Mouse walks up too Gibby and says 'oh gibby' depending on what he is doing...

They understand english to a degree for sure.
    "I will lend to you, a Bird", God said, "and teach you all you have to do. And when I call him back to heaven, you will know he loved you too."

Resident Vampire Hormonal ellenant's Avatar
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

They are pretty bright animals, just imagine tiels
    as intelligent as a dog or a cat--
    and they sometimes understand what you want of them!
    "There must have been a moment, at the beginning, where we could have said- NO. But somehow we missed it." (Samuel Beckett)

Dear Alex, in memory Axolotls rock!
    Missing you, Waiata...

Wild NZ Birds! http://www.tailfeathersnetwork.com/c...ad.php?t=57986

Egg's Cracking...
    Name
    Jacqui
    Thanks

Arrow Re: Is it possible, that Cockatiels understand English?

Thanks! Yeah this is really amazing me! I always thought Missy was kind of stupid...no offense, I love her, but she falls off her perch when she hears a loud noise, she flies into mirrors time and time again...she just doesn't demonstrate much of an IQ LOL! But lately she really seems to understand when I talk to her, far more than my rabbits or my budgie do!
    Ahh...I was just blowing kisses to her, trying to entertain her, but she climbed up my arm and kissed me...like drooled in my mouth ew ew ew!!!

Name
    Annie
    Thanks

A friend recently told me about a parrot that reads it's owner mind... like if she looks at a photo, the bird says the name of the person she's looking at!!!
    Maybe our birds don't know the language, but pick up on our thoughts.....
    Maybe!!!!!!!!

Egg's Cracking...
    Name
    Jacqui
    Thanks

Oh wow, that's cool but it would scare me haha!

Name
    Ronnie
    Thanks

It's not only possible that they understand English, but they can speak it as well!

Mun Ki Started with "come on". I had used it to get him out of the cage to play. Soon, when he wanted to come out, he would bang his beak on the cage bars and say "Come on, come on". Later, when Beaky was going through her "wanting to populate So. Cal. with tiels, I would put food & water down for her since she didn't want to get up from the eggs to eat. Mun Ki would watch her from his cage, and if she didn't immediately put her beak in the food, he would coax her with "Come on, come on".

That's when I really started working with him, just as you would with a small child. He learned to ask for food, then a particular food. He would greet me at the door when I come home with "Mama's home!" When he wants to e uncovered on a weekend i's "Hello to the birdy?" And if I et them stay up & he wants to go to bed it's "Nighty Night to the birdy?" These are all phrases he says at the proper time & in the proper connotation.

The culmination of my research was heard by my husband one day after I had come home from work. I'd fed Mun Ki as I always do, then sat down on the couch;

"Numanum for the birdy?" (That's Mun Ki's word for most food)
    ME: "You have numanums, go eat them"
    Mun Ki: "Numanums for da Mun Ki?" (the word "the" comes out "da")
    Mun Ki: Numanum, broccoli?" (the only food he calls by name, he loves it)
    I had put a broccoli in his clip, so I told him so: "You have broccoli, go eat it."
    He walked to the spot in his cage where the broccoli was clipped, looked up at it, looked at me, and then said "Mun Ki is a silly birdy!" and started to laugh.

My husband looked at me and asked "Did you just have a conversation with that bird?!?"

YES!

You will never convince me that he doesn't know what he is saying, or that he is not putting words in the proper context.

Sorry for the long post, but to prove my theory took a little evidence.

Red-tailed hawk Five Eggs Laid!
    Thanks

That is sooooo cool!

Beau doesn't talk - she doesn't say anything beyond that well-known cockatiel whistle, or perhaps the little squirks she makes when she's cranky. But she does pick up on things pretty well. She knows what "wings," "flap" and "floofyhead" mean. Didn't take her long to pick those things up at all - maybe five minutes, if that.

Name
    Annie
    Thanks

That is wonderful! I'd love to have a talker.

Name
    Ronnie
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by freocosmo View Post
    That is wonderful! I'd love to have a talker.
    All you have to do is use the same phrases at the same times, like with food, or covering & uncovering. Just do it as you would teaching a young child.

Name
    Annie
    Thanks

I'll give it a try, but he whistles tunes & I'm told that once they whistle they might not talk cos they love tunes so much...

Tracy Egg's Cracking...
    Name
    Tracy
    Thanks

We say 'whatyoudoing' to ours when they are up to something... and they are saying it to us now!
    WHen we get up to go do something, one of them will say
    whatyourdoin
    lol

Hatching
    Name
    Jake
    Thanks

mine don't talk (yet) but yesterday my female was sitting on top of the cage near some brocolli which I pointed at and sternly said "Eat your vegetables" at which point she started to eat the brocolli. I doubt she could understand me but I've always struggled to get this bird to eat anything except seeds. Was very impressed with her.

Egg's Cracking...
    Name
    Jacqui
    Thanks

Wow that's really cool, conversations with cockatiels

Cream of Cockatiel Tailfeather sammit's Avatar
    Name
    Sam
    Thanks

everytime mine peeps i call out "what?" now shes started peeping and then follows that with a "warr" noise... i hope shes learning to talk. my lorikeet was awesome for picking up speech but all the wrong things were picked up and i had to sell him because he swore at my landlord. my teil will only come to me if i have my hand flat and say "upup" otherwise she looks at my hand with this vacant look. i imagine they do understand english, just like if we were thrown into say china, we'd have to learn the native tongue too!

"im now under the impression that sarcasm is the body's natural defence against stupid" - sam

http://sammitshomecooking.blogspot.com/

Egg's Cracking...
    Name
    Jacqui
    Thanks

LOL! I stopped swearing when I got Missy, because I was worried about that! Every now and then I'm like "Ohhh Ffff....far out. Don't ever repeat that, bird."

Red-tailed hawk Five Eggs Laid!
    Thanks

And now it's confirmed that Beau knows what headtilt means, too. One day last week, I kept saying headtilt to her, and she'd start doing the cutest little headtilts ever. I never taught her that. At least, not deliberately. I think she's very smart and picks up very quickly on what things mean - but she doesn't really seem like one who's inclined to start talking. I do love it when she confirms in little ways like that that she knows what I'm talking about.

One I forgot to mention - she does know birdie kiss. Naturally. Just had to throw that one in there.

Brand New Egg LoveForTheBlackDahlia's Avatar
    Name
    Lauren
    Thanks

I believe they can. Well any language that the primarily hear. My sweetheart Bella asked me when I took her to the vet "where's Dave Dave DAVEY!!!" her mate's name is Davey and he didn't come with us that day. She was upset and asking about Davey. I don't know what is with the Dave Dave Davey his name is Davey and that is what I call him. And bath time Davey and Bella will be like "no no bath" back and forth. Yea they know oh they know.
    Animals are delicate treat them right.

Black Dahlia your justice will come!

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by munkis mom View Post
    It's not only possible that they understand English, but they can speak it as well!

Mun Ki Started with "come on". I had used it to get him out of the cage to play. Soon, when he wanted to come out, he would bang his beak on the cage bars and say "Come on, come on". Later, when Beaky was going through her "wanting to populate So. Cal. with tiels, I would put food & water down for her since she didn't want to get up from the eggs to eat. Mun Ki would watch her from his cage, and if she didn't immediately put her beak in the food, he would coax her with "Come on, come on".

That's when I really started working with him, just as you would with a small child. He learned to ask for food, then a particular food. He would greet me at the door when I come home with "Mama's home!" When he wants to e uncovered on a weekend i's "Hello to the birdy?" And if I et them stay up & he wants to go to bed it's "Nighty Night to the birdy?" These are all phrases he says at the proper time & in the proper connotation.

The culmination of my research was heard by my husband one day after I had come home from work. I'd fed Mun Ki as I always do, then sat down on the couch;

"Numanum for the birdy?" (That's Mun Ki's word for most food)
    Mun Ki: "Numanums for da Mun Ki?" (the word "the" comes out "da")
    Mun Ki: Numanum, broccoli?" (the only food he calls by name, he loves it)
    I had put a broccoli in his clip, so I told him so: "You have broccoli, go eat it."
    He walked to the spot in his cage where the broccoli was clipped, looked up at it, looked at me, and then said "Mun Ki is a silly birdy!" and started to laugh.

My husband looked at me and asked "Did you just have a conversation with that bird?!?"

YES!

You will never convince me that he doesn't know what he is saying, or that he is not putting words in the proper context.

Sorry for the long post, but to prove my theory took a little evidence.
    That is amazing! I'll definitely work on food names with my bird.