Tailfeathers
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Name
    Sharon
    Thanks

budgie plucking her feathers out

Hi my name is Sharon. I just got a budgie from a petstore and she has plucked off all of her feathers under one wing and does not chirp at all and will not come out of her cage. Should I return the bird and get a new one while I am still within the return policy???
    Thanks,
    Sharon

Name
    Hillari
    Thanks

Re: budgie plucking her feathers out

This should be in the budgie section. Darn it all there is never a mod on when I see a thread in the wrong place!

To answer your question- NO you should not! I will make an assumption (and correct me if I'm wrong) that you don't know a lot about birds. Well they need to be on pellets and fresh veggies, NOT seeds. They need big cages with lots of room to fly and play. They need daily attention and love just like a dog or cat and a lot of people don't realize that. When birds get bored they pluck because they start to go crazy a little. Sounds like your budgie needs to see a vet to make sure it's healthy.

How long have you had her? What size cage is she in and what does she eat? Birds are a lot of work, honestly, and it's understandable if you want an easy pet. If you do want an easy pet that is not going to take as much work as this budgie, then yes I would recommend taking it back and not getting another bird. They are expensive, the vet will not be cheap but she is a living breathing loving bird and needs to be healthy.

Good luck and please feel free to ask more questions.

"Loss is nothing else but change, and change is Nature's delight."
    -
    Marcus Aurelius

Proud mum of; Penny the Linnie, Tegan the BCC

Name
    Kerry
    Thanks

Plucking is a sign of high stress. It is not very common in budgies as in other birds. If you want to change it out for another one that is up to you. Sometimes it will resolve by it's slef other times not.

As for diet, I have yet to find a pellet tree in the wild and I am not one that that follows an all of one type of feed is best for birds. An all seed diet is similar to you being on bread and water diet. 99% of all budgies purchased through pets stores now days are bird mill bred birds. They have been raised to be seed junkies. Swithing a bird over to a healthy diet takes time. You have to teach a bird who has never seen carrots, greens etc that they are not toxic and they ARE edible. Start with baby steps and usually greens are the best place. Budgies by nature love to bath in the wet grass. Taking a small bundle of greens and hanging them at perch height when they are drippy is one way to start. Don't expect your bird to devour them right off the bat. He/she might even be scared of the new thing haning in the cage. Each day provide fresh greens, budgies are very nosy birds he/she will check it out. Once the bird is eating green introduce something else like a few bits of gratted carrots in the grain.

Try soft foods like brown rice, cooked sweet potatoes, etc. Once your bird is eating mushy foods introduce pellets. I would suggest you get them wet in a small bit of apple juice so they are a bit soft. Once your bird is eating the pellets mushy, start to make them a bit dryer until the bird is eating dry pellets mixed in with the seed.

hope this helps

Kerry

Thanks

Keep in mind your budgie has gone from an aviary environment where it had a flock to life alone. Well, life with you. And that's not bad but the bird has needs that are sometimes difficult for us to fulfill.

Please do not pull seeds from your budgie, seeds are not bad they just shouldn't be a staple diet. Your bird needs to settle in (if you keep it) before you go changing it's diet. Birds will starve themselves simply because they're picky eaters.

Please ask more questions, let us help in whatever way we can, do lots of reading and research, Hillari is right in saying that birds, even budgies, are not easy pets.

ps. Welcome to TF!
    "Questions open the door to knowledge."

Name
    Hillari
    Thanks

Yes, and they shouldn't be "traded in" for something better. You can care for your budgie now, help it and work with it, and he will be fine. BUT like I said, it's time and money consuming. If money or time is your issue, then perhaps a budgie isn't a good choice for you? I am not lecturing or anything, just stating some options is all. Do you have pics of your bug?

"Loss is nothing else but change, and change is Nature's delight."
    -
    Marcus Aurelius

Proud mum of; Penny the Linnie, Tegan the BCC

Name
    Jennie Rae
    Thanks

continue working with your bird and showing lots and lots of love to her!!!

Name
    Sharon
    Thanks

Thank you so much for all of your help. Last night I spent lots of time with her and she seems to be doing much better. I have only had her for a week and I will keep her. I will read anything and everything I can get my hands on to learn as much as possible. Thanks again for all of your input. SHARON

Thanks

I'm glad to hear that she will be staying with you.
    "Questions open the door to knowledge."

Where The Birds Always Sing Tailfeather Birdmad Girl's Avatar
    Name
    Lee-Anne
    Thanks

to Tailfeathers Sharon.

Good to hear that your little budgie seems to be settling in better. What's her name?

I'd also like to point out that plucking is not necessarily a behavioural problem, it can have a medical cause too. In budgies it is very rare for them to pluck for behavioural reasons alone, so I would recommend you take your bird to an avian vet to get her checked out. There is a possibility there is a skin irritation causing her to pull those feathers. Also, if she was in the pet store with other birds, the other birds could have plucked her, it might not be something she has done, although if it is right under the wing, that could also be unlikely.

Best of luck with her, let us know how she gets on.