Tailfeathers
Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Food Question

Thanks

Food Question

My Tiel is 46 days old. I'm trying to wean her off of formula. I gradually stopped her morning and afternoon feeding and I'm only feeding her at night right before she goes to bed. The problem is, is that she doesn't want the formula. She only takes about 1 or 2 cc's and that's after 10 minutes of trying to get her to take it. I don't have a scale to weigh her and I don't want her to starve. She has access to food in her cage at all times. She has water and pellets on top and two bowls on the bottom of the cage (thats were she spends most of her time) one's filled with seed ( I just found out that its bad) and one's filled with pellets. She also has millet on the bottom of her cage, I give her one once a week. Please help!

Name
    Tina
    Thanks

Re: Food Question

I have only had to hand feed for one clutch and for a short period of time. Millet was their first solid food on their own. Seed isn't necessarily bad, it depends what seed. Small, non-colored seeds are best for this age - I don't recommend sunflower seeds. I'm not sure where you're from, you might also try a very fine high potency pellet. I use Harrison's (available on line).

I'm afraid that is all the advice I have. Good Luck.

Name
    Liz
    Thanks

Re: Food Question

I am having the same experience with my babies which are around the same age. Not wanting the formula.. I still offer it and hope they take a little each time. They would rather fly and play. I give my birds "finch seed and Finch pellets" they are smaller and easier for the babies to eat. I also give them vegies every day chopped small enough for them to eat easily. They are eating like little piggys. So I dont really worry.. 46 days is almost 7 weeks and most tiels are weaned by 8 weeks.. Still offer, if they are hungry they will eat.. another thing I sometimes do is offer the once a day feeding in the morning instead of the evening because they are much hungrier at this time after sleeping all night.